Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Galt Mile area . I have family on the Galt too and I lived there when I was younger. I have also visited my family on the Galt and it just seems like a very pleasant place to live.

I am in my early 30s , so would be especially interesting to hear from anyone around that age range.

How do you like living on the Galt? Any downsides that you can think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM

242 posts, read 499,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I am considering moving to the Galt Mile area . I have family on the Galt too and I lived there when I was younger. I have also visited my family on the Galt and it just seems like a very pleasant place to live.

I am in my early 30s , so would be especially interesting to hear from anyone around that age range.

How do you like living on the Galt? Any downsides that you can think of?
i think you will love living on galt ocean mile. there are many bars within walking distance and you are between lauderdale by the sea and oakland park blvd. both those areas have a lively nightclub scene. and all within walking distance.
just be careful of that hostel place on the west side of a1a blvd and a couple of other cheap motels along there. and i should say that walking at 3 a.m. is not a good idea. but during the day and evening it's a nice walk, lots of people walking/running.
there are a lot of retired senior citizens that live on galt ocean mile and they are only there in the winter months. ( not a lot of single young/middle-aged people live along galt ocean mile, mostly elderly snowbirds live here.)you can tell because you can see the storm shutters closed during the summer months.
but if your family already lives here and you visit, can't you tell from your own experiences?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Thank you for your response. True good point from my experience it seems like a very nice place ,especially compared to where I live now ...so I would definitely see it as a step up. I guess I was just trying to get some different perspectives too.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM

59 posts, read 85,618 times
Gault mile is nice. It also still old and retired.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,224 times
What address would be the best to look at, if I was looking for a condo..........PM

Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM

62 posts, read 99,632 times
I like it, but it depends on what you're looking for in the area.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM

32 posts, read 64,982 times
I have lived in Fort Lauderdale 3 years with my wife, no kids.
We considered buying a Condo on The Galt but decided to buy off Las Olas Blvd.
After 3 years we are sick and tired of the people here.
Transients, legal and illegal immigrants, pushy New Yorkers, stupid 3rd world driving and rude people in general.
Visiting Ft. Lauderdale is fine. Living here gets old after a few years.

The Good and Bad of Galt Ocean Mile

Good
- Walking distance to places
- Beach ( no public access )
- Some newer Condos ...
- Good area

Bad
- Overrated and expensive
- Some old Condos
- Older people, retired, ( tha area is called Death Valley by locals )
- Traffic

Bottom Line: We advise dont move here. You will regret it over time.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM

389 posts, read 662,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thank you for your response. True good point from my experience it seems like a very nice place ,especially compared to where I live now ...so I would definitely see it as a step up. I guess I was just trying to get some different perspectives too.
Have you considered looking at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea up the road? Because it's an actual small town with restrictions against high-rises, it has a considerably different vibe than the beachfront areas to the north and south, and you might like it. Not a criticism of Galt, but it never hurts to have options.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
I know this is an old post but I'd live in Galt Ocean Mall in a heartbeat.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:18 PM

242 posts, read 499,283 times
not sure if this matters or not but beware of lauderdale by the sea. there are some great restaurants and bars there but beware of the private cops that work for the town. there is no way around it, if you live in lauderdale by the sea, you will must likely get pulled over at some point, maybe even multiple times if driving at night. the cops are at every road leading into lauderdale by the sea and make their money from the fines and dui drivers. so if you decide to drive, do not drink, even 2 beers puts you over the legal limit so you don't have to be an alcoholic to get a ticket and car taken.
plus in lauderdale by the sea, we call it LBS, there are many druggies living in the small efficiency on the west side of A1A. they do not do credit check on anybody in those independently owned small apartments, studios. most of the crimes are breaking into cars and apartments. no murders or rapes. lots of druggies walking around too.
i left florida 5 years ago, best decision i ever made. would i ever go back there? i would just to visit and see my friends as i have lived there for 20 years of my life. and anyway, most of my friends have also moved out of the state. bad economy, not like it used to be. even the weather is not like it used to be, used to be beautiful and cool in the winter months, then the past 10 years it seemed to be just as hot and humid or even more so during the winter months.
any place located close to the beach will be many homeless people around, plus it attracts crime.
and stay away from pompano beach, the worst, so infested with crackheads and crime.
good luck and if you have any questions, please ask. i know the area like the back of my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area