U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM

12 posts, read 38,294 times

Advertisements

I moved to Lighthouse Point about a year ago.

So far as I can tell, it's a pretty decent neighborhood. I haven't witnessed any obvious crime, personally.

Yet it seems like police helicopters are roving around the area, constantly, at all hours of the night. I'm posting this because there's one circling over the area now. Every five minutes or so it makes another pass, shaking the house and making my wind chimes go nuts from the wind, as they pass over very low.

One night I sat on my front porch as a chopper circled around for hours, until about 2 AM. It was shining its spotlight on the roads - at one point, night turned into crystal-clear day as its lamp swept across the street and over my house.

Every time this happens, and it seems to be pretty often, I check the headlines in order to read about the mass-murderer or gang member that's on the loose in my neighborhood. And I never find a mention of anything that would seem to explain the vigil.

I've lived in three (relatively) major cities in the US and I've never witnessed helicopters scouring the streets as I have in the otherwise quiet Lighthouse Point. So what's going on? It seems to me that dispatching a helicopter is an expensive proposition (in contrast to simply deploying squad cars to blanket an area). Especially since the neighborhood only has a few exits (it's 'stuck' between the intracoastal and Federal Highway, and there are only a few exits for a pedestrian or car).

So therefore I must ask - is this secretly a crime-ridden neighborhood, well-stocked with individuals of such villainous character that a helicopter patrol is the only sane response, or has some local chapter of whatever flavor of police department which owns helicopters chosen to conduct training exercises in my neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM

228 posts, read 671,363 times
Maybe you need to worry, but most likely you don't

BSO flies it's helicopters everyday, in every part of Broward. Sometimes it's to find criminals, sometimes it's for missing persons, or to find a car, or boat. But alot of the time it's training flights.

They fly over my house from time to time as well, and I go around Broward and see them as far south as Pembroke Pines, and as far north as Deerfeild Beach/Boca.

I work at the airport the helicopters are based, and they take off about every 10 mintues, do a flight and then land. Then repeat the process over again. It's their job, and they do it very well.

It's annoying, but odds are your not in danger. Just a routine flight.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM

805 posts, read 1,295,602 times
I live in Coral springs. We've had them hover or circle bad traffic accidents, drowings in the canals, and searches for missing elderly/children. Also, a couple of the local news stations have them and they will circle around until the story airs on tv, then they're gone. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's BSO or a tv helicopter from such a distance.

Nevertheless, I always stay inside until I know why they are there.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM

2,952 posts, read 12,495,467 times
Be glad. They fly out of FXE and as tr stated, they may be training or just following up on a lead. I live in Weston and they do the same here albeit not that often.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,605,652 times
You are EAST of US-1 and they're buzzing your neighborhood regularly?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM

12 posts, read 38,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
You are EAST of US-1 and they're buzzing your neighborhood regularly?
Yep. Not all the time, but it seems to be at least 1-3 times a month.

I figure they can't actually be after anyone in particular because it's never accompanied by patrol cars on the ground.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,524 times
I'm in. East Fort Lauderdale now at 3 am and the helicopter has been circling around and around for about an hour or so. It's noisy. It seems like a training exercise or something like that, but they should do it during the daytime. Unfortunately, they don't take noise or quiet hours too seriously around here.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 AM

12,018 posts, read 9,325,498 times
Lighthouse Point borders Pompano Beach, and crime can happen anywhere. I live in the area and don't see them as often as you do. they may also be news helicopters.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM

19,179 posts, read 58,296,177 times
One of the forgotten reasons we moved away from south FL.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:47 AM

40 posts, read 44,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreblofeld View Post
Yep. Not all the time, but it seems to be at least 1-3 times a month.

I figure they can't actually be after anyone in particular because it's never accompanied by patrol cars on the ground.
I wouldn't assume. Crime can happen anywhere unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area