Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 02:08 PM

16 posts, read 56,130 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be relocating to Fort Lauderdale in a year. I will be able to keep my current job and work from home which is great.

My wife and I will want to rent for a year and then buy a condo or home.

Based on what I've seen, it looks like the areas that match our preference (safe mostly) are close to the beach or on the intracoastal and then east of university (Davie, Cooper City, Weston, Plantation...).

I do have a few questions, thanks in advance for your input, this forum is always of great help:

-Where are most jobs located in south florida for marketing and business? It seems like there are companies in this industry in both Miami and Fort Lauderdale, and even Boca Raton. But I just wanted to check where the best opportunities were in this industry.

-Is the section of Fort Lauderdale close to the beach safe? Is it a good pace for families also?

-Is 300-350K an acceptable budget for looking for a home either in Fort Lauderdale East, or Cooper City, Davie, Plantation, Weston...? For over 2000sq feet, 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath

-Is $1200-1400 to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in those areas too low of a budget?

Thanks a lot for your help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Your prices are about right.

You can buy a decent home for 300-350K even in Weston, but it could be a short sale, but that's normally not a problem. Think 3br and one car garage type of a house.

You can find a 4br condo for rent for $2,000, so I think $1,200-$1,400 for a 2br is quite doable.

Weston is nice since it doesn't have bad areas, so you don't have to guess.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
To add - please think very carefully about buying a condo. While property values have tanked in the housing market, the problems you can inherit buying a condo can be more than you imagine. You will always be better off buying a single family home including a townhome. Renting for one year is wise and prudent. That is what we did when we first moved down here. Do your research, spend time researching the areas that interest you, etc.

The reason for my statement is that when a condo building has forclosures, who absorbs the fees? Other condo owners or the building has to give up or minimize certain services. Aside from that, condos have historically been harder hit than single family homes. My brother-in-law is a classic example. He bought a condo during the height of the market for $160,000 and today it is worth $60,000.

Just do your homework and you'll be fine.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
futureSDresident-

I think you meant WEST of University, not east. The safer nicer areas are mostly west of University Drive. The Eastern part of Fort Lauderdale is nice if you stay east of US1. Las Olas, Rio Vista, Victoria Park, on the mainland and on the island you have Fort Lauderdale Beach and Lauderdale By The Seas.

One thing to keep in mind is that the western suburbs like Davie, Cooper City, Sunrise, Weston, and Coral Springs are considered good family areas. The Eastern parts of Fort Lauderdale are not. The schools are not good in the east, but they are in the western suburbs. Plantation is the exception because the schools are not great there I've heard. In terms of safety, the western suburbs are far safer. East Fort Laudedale has about the safety level of Brooklyn. Chances are, you will be ok but you always have to watch your back and lock your doors.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM

16 posts, read 56,130 times
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Yes I meant West of University in the original post.

I will focus more on homes instead of condos thanks to your advice. I really appreciated your input.

Quick questions: while living in West Broward county, will most jobs in business (marketing management) be in Miami of are there also opportunities in Fort Lauderdale...?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSDresident View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your replies. Yes I meant West of University in the original post.

I will focus more on homes instead of condos thanks to your advice. I really appreciated your input.

Quick questions: while living in West Broward county, will most jobs in business (marketing management) be in Miami of are there also opportunities in Fort Lauderdale...?

Thanks!
Depends on your profession.

There are jobs in Fort Lauderdale.

There are jobs even in West Broward.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM

58 posts, read 175,264 times
from when I was doing my search for marketing jobs there a significantly higher percentage in Boca and Weston. I work in Boca.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
futureSDresident-

One thing to keep in mind is that the western suburbs like Davie, Cooper City, Sunrise, Weston, and Coral Springs are considered good family areas. The Eastern parts of Fort Lauderdale are not. The schools are not good in the east, but they are in the western suburbs. Plantation is the exception because the schools are not great there I've heard. In terms of safety, the western suburbs are far safer. East Fort Laudedale has about the safety level of Brooklyn. Chances are, you will be ok but you always have to watch your back and lock your doors.
The eastern parts of Fort Lauderdale are excellent family areas if you can afford to live there and pay for private school (or have the good fortune to have your child accepted to Shuman Montessori elementary).
If I had the coin for a million-dollar waterfront home in Rio Vista, well, I'd raise a family there in a heartbeat.

But I understand your point. For the OP's money, they should focus on the western communities.

I would not rule out Plantation, because the elementary and middle schools are fine in a lot of parts of the City. And, East Plantation includes some very appealing neighborhoods with well-kept mid-century ranch homes with big shaded and landscaped yards (especially for folks who do not like the newer faux Mediterranean tract-home communities with their small-ish yards and high HOA fees). South Plantation High School is currently a B school, but was an A school last year, and has a lot of parent commitment to improving the rankings. I think a lot depends on the type of neighborhood the OP prefers; their commuting distance; and whether they are committed to sending their (future?) child to public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area