U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,333 times

Advertisements

I along with my twin sister (age 20) will be heading to the sunshine state to visit our grandparents during our spring break. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale but will be traveling 2 hours north to Jensen Beach where our grandparents reside. However, we are looking to spend a day in Ft. Lauderdale, possibly Hollywood beach. What do you suggest?
We were thinking of spending a few hours on the beach then do some shopping/sightseeing before having dinner..
Is the beach easily accessible for visitors not staying in hotels nearby?
parking, clean bathrooms, showers, a place to change??
Any other suggestions, keeping in mind we will be with our 70 year old grandparents.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,576,363 times
Hollywood Beach has a few large parking locations. I suggest you park at one on Johnson street. It is virtually on the beach. And from this location you can easily go up and down the boardwalk and check out the shops and restaurants.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM

326 posts, read 877,312 times
Both beaches (Lauderdale and Hollywood) aren't taken up by hotels. They're wide open and both have plenty of parking. If you go to Fort Lauderdale beach finding restrooms/changing facilities will be more difficult than on Hollywood beach which has restrooms all up and down the Broadwalk. Also, there is no road between beach and the Broadwalk which is where there are numerous restaurants and beachy type shops. Hollywood also is a haven for people around your grandparents age. Many of them French Canadian.
Both beaches and surrounding areas will work for you, but I think Hollywood Beach has more amenities. Shopping and sight seeing is probably better in Ft Lauderdale though.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 PM

30 posts, read 130,018 times
I suggest Ft Lauderdale/Las Olas area. I think it would be more fun for someone your age. But your grandparents will probably like Hollywood beach better... you can always go to both. They're not that far from one another.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,490,660 times
I would recommend Fort Lauderdale Beach over all others. Lots of parking just south of the main strip on A1A. Just get there really early, because it will be a zoo during spring break. I'd say get there by 9AM. The parking will get filled up quickly. Plan to spend all day in one place on the beach and you can eat lunch on the strip. There are tons of bars and restaurants right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area