U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 29,730 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job in Fort Lauderdale, and will be visiting in the next couple weeks. I'm curious what the best neighborhoods are to live in. I'm single and in my early thirties, and would like a fun area, but safe. I have never been there, so have no clue where to even begin my search.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 6,407,824 times
Lauderdale by the Sea.

Las Olas.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 35,717 times
I have been coming to Fort Lauderdale since 2001 and own and rent two one bedroom condos on the beach, Galt Ocean Drive. There are many great neighborhoods in this sprawling city. Many of our friends live in Victoria Park area, Galt Ocean Drive, Lauderdale By The Sea. Also, Wilton Manors is a cozy area (gay friendly), if that's your thing. However, there are also areas that are a bit sketchy. Consult a real estate professional in any of the neighborhoods that I mentioned. I can recommend the agent who has helped me with my rentals should you be interested.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM

3,913 posts, read 8,384,393 times
liz2012-

Tell us a little bit more about yourself. What are your interests? Do you prefer to be near nightlife? Beaches? Or are you looking for a more laid-back quiet area?

As Ruski mentioned, Las Olas and Lauderdale By The Seas are great choices for someone wanting more action. Las Olas has a vibrant social scene, but is a bit pricey. Lauderdale By The Seas is right on the beach and is more affordable, but not quite as much entertainment right there; although you are right on the beach and a short drive or cab ride from nightlife, restaurants, entertainment, etc. You could also look into Hollywood (eastern part) around Young Circle or Aventura. These areas mentioned are all in the Eastern part of the county near the ocean.

The Western suburbs are set up more like traditional suburbs. They are safer and nicer, but are much quieter and not as much action going on in the way of nightlife, entertainment, etc. You are further from the ocean. Western areas are more family areas and are cheaper to live in. You can still have a great lifestyle in places like Plantation, Davie, Sunrise, Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland, etc.

It all just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,923 times
Knowing the OP's budget for a rental also would help, and in what area of Fort Lauderdale her job is located.

I'd say sticking east would be best, enabling her to socialize and meet folks while settling into the area. I'd imagine she would want to be close to the beach and night life, restaurants etc. Victoria Park and Las Olas areas are the highest priced. Lauderdale by the Sea/Galt Ocean Mile seem to attract a lot of younger people these days, as the beach is great and rentals are less expensive than the Las Olas area (one of my friends live in a building in Galt Ocean and she says she has noticed the older folks being replaced by 20-30 somethings).

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM

6 posts, read 37,607 times
Default Helpful thread, additional information requested

Good morning-

I found this thread discussion helpful as my husband and I will be relocating to the Fort Lauderdale area July 2012. Our hope is to find a nice, clean, safe place to relocate to, hopefully within a mile of the beach. With that said, our preference is not to live in a high rise (our plan is to rent). We would also prefer a reasonable commute, less than 30 minutes. My husband will be working adjacent to the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide to help us narrow down where to begin our house hunting efforts.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

367 posts, read 805,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland2012 View Post
Good morning-

I found this thread discussion helpful as my husband and I will be relocating to the Fort Lauderdale area July 2012. Our hope is to find a nice, clean, safe place to relocate to, hopefully within a mile of the beach. With that said, our preference is not to live in a high rise (our plan is to rent). We would also prefer a reasonable commute, less than 30 minutes. My husband will be working adjacent to the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide to help us narrow down where to begin our house hunting efforts.
BTW the Fort Lauderdale airport IS NOT in Fort Lauderdale

A mile from the beach and near the airport, why not look at Dania Beach?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM

2,113 posts, read 4,599,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
liz2012-

Tell us a little bit more about yourself. What are your interests? Do you prefer to be near nightlife? Beaches? Or are you looking for a more laid-back quiet area?

As Ruski mentioned, Las Olas and Lauderdale By The Seas are great choices for someone wanting more action. Las Olas has a vibrant social scene, but is a bit pricey. Lauderdale By The Seas is right on the beach and is more affordable, but not quite as much entertainment right there; although you are right on the beach and a short drive or cab ride from nightlife, restaurants, entertainment, etc. You could also look into Hollywood (eastern part) around Young Circle or Aventura. These areas mentioned are all in the Eastern part of the county near the ocean.

The Western suburbs are set up more like traditional suburbs. They are safer and nicer, but are much quieter and not as much action going on in the way of nightlife, entertainment, etc. You are further from the ocean. Western areas are more family areas and are cheaper to live in. You can still have a great lifestyle in places like Plantation, Davie, Sunrise, Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland, etc.

It all just depends on what you are looking for.
Good post .... you pretty much have it all covered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area