Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM

11 posts, read 16,040 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving in the next year or 2. Initially my fiancee and I want to move into a 1 bdrm apartment in a community to get our bearings and decide on an area to settle in. We have no kids so schools are not a priority at the moment. We would like to not spend more that $1000 for a 1 bdrm (this is just our safety budget for the first year). What are the best areas? I'm familiar with the area so I know west is better in the Fort Lauderdale area. I'm curious about these particular areas: Weston, Parkland, Davie, Sunrise, Plantation, Coral Springs, Delray, and Boynton.

As far as jobs I am a restaurant manager in a trendy Philadelphia restaurant and my fiancee works in a car dealership. I'm hoping with my hospitality/restaurant experience and my fiancee's sales experience that we'll be ok getting jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 AM

91 posts, read 219,226 times
Coral Springs has worked out for me, we are in our mid 20s but boring working folks from NJ. Shoot me a pm if you are coming down to look at places in the Coral Springs area.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
If you have jobs in Philly, why would you quit your jobs to move down to FL with no jobs? You are making a big mistake. The job market here is terrible, and salaries in your lines of work are very low here. Could you find a job quickly? I suppose anything is possible, but it is unlikely.

$1000 max rent is pushing it in Broward County in those areas you mentioned. You can find some in the western areas that are slightly under $1000, but you will pay extra for cable tv, internet, and utilities.

Palm Beach County is cheaper to live in. Delray is probably your best bet. You may want to consider Boynton Beach, the next town north. Delray and Boynton are way more affordable than Broward County.

Best areas to live? That is very subjective and depends on your interests. South FL has a little bit of everything. If you want nightlife, live further east. If you want quietness and affordability, live in western Broward County or PBC.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpat888 View Post
I'm looking into moving in the next year or 2. Initially my fiancee and I want to move into a 1 bdrm apartment in a community to get our bearings and decide on an area to settle in. We have no kids so schools are not a priority at the moment. We would like to not spend more that $1000 for a 1 bdrm (this is just our safety budget for the first year). What are the best areas? I'm familiar with the area so I know west is better in the Fort Lauderdale area. I'm curious about these particular areas: Weston, Parkland, Davie, Sunrise, Plantation, Coral Springs, Delray, and Boynton.

As far as jobs I am a restaurant manager in a trendy Philadelphia restaurant and my fiancee works in a car dealership. I'm hoping with my hospitality/restaurant experience and my fiancee's sales experience that we'll be ok getting jobs.
Weston: very nice, yet boring. It's way out west, it's also known as "swampland"....dont get me wrong, it's clean, nice, and new. However, you're removed from all the action of east broward. It's very family oriented and cookie-cutter suburban housing and gated communities abound. For a couple in their 30s, with no kids....I think u could do better.

Parkland- Again, very suburban in nature, mostly family-oriented as well. Almost a rural feel... north of coral springs, south of boca....it's ok I guess. Not exactly gonna find many 1 bedroom apts there as it's mostly suburban single family homes

Davie- Home of nova southeastern university and horses. Lots of horses and has a "wild-west rodeo" feel to it. I dont like Davie, however not because it's unsafe. I just dont like cowboy-types, etc.

Plantation- very nice town just north of 595. Has every suburban amentity u could dream of from malls to every chain restaurant there is. Lots of housing options. Plenty of apartments, shops, stores, etc. Not a bad place. Focus in on Plantation.

Coral Springs- Much like Plantation, chain restaurants, coral square mall and strip malls. Coral Springs has some pockets of undesireable areas, however mostly affordable and safe.

Delray Beach (where I live) is nice. It has a downtown area with night-life...Lots of fun restaurants (non-chain) bars, lounges, cafe's boutiques, etc. Wes Delray, like the rest of south florida is suburban in nature, however east delray is historic, unique and beautiful.

Boynton Beach- 2 types of people live here: retired people and immigrant Haitians/Hispanics. Boynton Beach is alright, however it has a growing gang problem. I dont hate it though. Boynton beach has got all the shops, etc one could need right along Congress Ave there.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
I agree about Plantation if you want a suburban environment. Plantation is better for 30's year olds with no kids than other suburbs.

If you want more action as someone else said, live further east. Eastern Fort Lauderdale, Las Olas, Lauderdale By The Seas, and Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area