U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 AM

4 posts, read 5,415 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Long Story Short- relocating from Tampa Bay area (Outside of Tampa- where there are cows, land and subdivisions-a-plenty). Looking to move to FL area. Looking in Plantation, Davie, Sunrise, Coral Springs. ..

My questions are these
1. Would like a rental that's NOT a townhouse.
2. Need a safe area with great public schools.
3. Crime low
4. Decent sustainability in surrounding areas (supermarkets, etc)
5.Pet friendly
6. diverse- we are a mixed racy couple as are kids.
7. larger home- min- 4 bed/3 bath
Any thing else, please add and reply.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 161,663 times
Without a doubt anyone who lives in South Florida will tell you Weston (including me ). But seems like you've already done your research. Depending on how old your kids are, in my opinion Davie probably has the best public schools out of the areas you mentioned, Plantation has some nice houses but I'm not sure about the schools there. Based on your criteria, seems like Western Davie or Cooper City would be your best choice, you have good access to A rated schools, relatively low crime, decent size houses. All the best!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,185,894 times
Weston, you can rent a house from an owner.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Sorry. I was exhausted when I wrote that. LOL.We have on High school student, two elementary students and one daycare student.

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM

99 posts, read 288,858 times
Look up greatschools.net to review any school in the area... For daycare, I always recommend Parkway Christian Preschool... as for the other students in your home, Cooper City has a great selection of schools, and you will be able to get a larger home there than in Weston... Weston has a great reputation when it comes to schools, but the property prices are a little higher when you come square footage, the number of bedrooms and especially lot size.
As for rentals, there is every manner of rental options in South Florida... go to either Realtor.com or Zillow.com and use the filters to root out rental options.
Your other concerns were;
- convenience, that is no problem, as Publix is just about everywhere in Broward County.
- mixed race couple, generally, people are use to that, but racists are everywhere... that's tough to root out, but SoFla is quite diverse to begin with.
- Davie, Cooper City, Plantation are better in my opinion than Sunrise and Coral Springs. I find them to be more central to everything you want to be close to, far more vibrant regarding cultural elements, and the main arteries are easily accessible... Coral Springs is farther north, and farther out of central Broward, and farther from the best Broward beaches...
- Best malls are in Aventura and Boca Raton, so nothing in central Broward is close to them - about a half hour drive to Aventura, and 45 mins to Town Center in Boca. The Sawgrass Mills are in Sunrise, but its not something I frequent, except for dining.
If you are using a relocation company, push the agent you will be given to drive the best areas that suit your needs and budget OR go on a drive of Open Houses to get you into the areas you find interesting. Just an idea... !

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Thank you again! One more IMPORTANT thing that I forgot to mention. Minimal commute time for my husband. He will be working at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Right now he commutes about 75 miles one way (takes an hour) to get to work. We'd like to cut that in half if possible. Honestly, the school system is most important to us. We need a larger home with 4 kids, but safety and education are most important to us. We will make the drive. :-)

Thank you SO much for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,938,815 times
Limit your search to Weston, Cooper City, Davie, Sunrise, and Coral Springs. They are all within 15-20 miles of the FLL airport. Davie is the closest of those to Fort Lauderdale Airport. Maybe 5-10 miles away. What times are your husband going to be commuting? That will affect how long the commute is. One thing I am certain of is that your commute will be a lot shorter in terms of distance.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM

15 posts, read 54,723 times
Default Hotel Positions in Fort Lauderdale Area

Thank you all for the info! It was really helpful! I would really appreciate any responses about hotel jobs in the area. I have Bachelor's and also Manhattan experience.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Limit your search to Weston, Cooper City, Davie, Sunrise, and Coral Springs. They are all within 15-20 miles of the FLL airport. Davie is the closest of those to Fort Lauderdale Airport. Maybe 5-10 miles away. What times are your husband going to be commuting? That will affect how long the commute is. One thing I am certain of is that your commute will be a lot shorter in terms of distance.
Not sure as of yet. I'm thinking 3pm to 11pm right now. If I may ask one more thing- can you rate the above mention in order of school system ratings/safety/affordability of rental homes (4BR/3Ba+)

Thanks! Sorry to be a pain!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,938,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortii311 View Post
Not sure as of yet. I'm thinking 3pm to 11pm right now. If I may ask one more thing- can you rate the above mention in order of school system ratings/safety/affordability of rental homes (4BR/3Ba+)

Thanks! Sorry to be a pain!
If you're commuting around 3 PM and 11Pm at night, traffic will not be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area