U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM

45 posts, read 93,107 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,386,202 times
Delray is great by the downtown area and east on the ocean and Intracoastal Waterway. Should be a smooth transition for you. The downtown strip along Atlantic Avenue has lots of nightlife for a small town suburb like Delray. Lots of restaurants and bars. You can find a nice, newer apartment right on the strip or 1-2 blocks off. Delray is also one of the least expensive towns in this area. Everywhere else tends to be pricier. Just make sure you live in the Eastern part of Delray because the rest of Delray tends to be all retirees.

Deerfield is nice too, but also has lots of retirees. The areas east of US1 are good, but has some rougher parts west of US1 as you go towards I-95. Once you get 1 mile west of 95, the neighborhood goes from bad to good again.

Why are you limiting yourself to Delray/Deerfield? If you want a singles scene, other good areas are Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale, and the downtown Clematis Street area in West Palm Beach. I do think Delray is probably your best option but I would also consider those other areas. Las Olas is much more vibrant than Delray, but is also pricier.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 31,870 times
Congrats on your move. I used to live on Ocean Drive. I loved being able to walk to the beach and all the events that take place there but I was the youngest person in my building for quite a few years. About half the building was snowbirds. Rent/mortgage is at a premium and schools are rare so hardly any families or single parents. Also due to land price - there wasn't conveniences like gas stations or Publix without driving off the beach (a pain with traffic and bridges ). Don't get me wrong, I loved it there but sometimes lonely. I met my husband and moved to suburbs - now have 2 car garage, etc but with no kids and no kids planned... don't know how long we'll stay here.. then back to the beach. Socially, best place I think is like the poster wrote above - near a downtown area like Las Olas or whatever is similar in Delray. Check out Yahoo meetups meetup.com Lots of activity groups based on your zip code.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 AM

351 posts, read 1,016,127 times
Delray is a great place for your interests. It really has become a younger, hip area over the past several years. East Delray is going to be somewhat pricey for rent, I think. You may need a roommate depending on your budget, but that should be easy to find. The downtown beach area is walkable and nice, and increasingly trendy with new restaurants and bars popping up regularly.

I would really caution you to find a job here BEFORE relocating here. The job market is very tough and I believe teaching jobs are still hard to find in both Palm Beach and Broward Counties. However, you may be able to get by for a while by tutoring part time, combined with some other job, as you look for something more full-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or