U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 34,359 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We've already made the decision to have a pool put in but I would love to hear from people who have done this already. Is there anything you would have done different ? Did you get a spa ? A heater ? The salt system ? May I ask what company you used ? Has your electric and insurance gone up more then you expected ? Any advice, suggestions you can offer on the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,033,141 times
Have not done it yet...but I will be looking into salt water pools...I am not sure of the price difference but people that I know that have converted to salt water like it much better...especially the women...for it is softer on the hair and skin...

Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,222,217 times
Salt.

It is better to get it done during the pool construction than do the conversion later. Conversion is not cheap.

We never did it, but always wished that we had done it.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 289,603 times
When installing a pool, go with a salt water chlorinator, it is far more easier to maintain a pool with that system, as opposed to the old school method of storing gallons of chlorine and other chemicals that need to be replenished weekly. The salt water systems do require some chemicals... to balance pH or to maintain the chlorine produced by your system. Also, their are other systems to maintain a clean pool besides the salt water system, but I do not have input to provide you on those.
Additionally, the state of Florida requires all new pool systems to have installed a variable speed pool pump - they draw less power, up to a fraction of what a single speed pump draws. Keep that in mind as you get quotes for your new pool... its the law now and any one trying to sell you a pool without a variable speed pool is breaking the laws of the state and dumping old pump systems on you.
Our pool also has a baby gate, hands down, it is a load off my mind to know that gate is up and installed and NO child will gain access to the pool. Our non-screen enclosure pool requires us to have a gated backyard. The baby gate will get you a discount on your insurance - at least it did for us.
If you are going to heat the pool for winter use, then compare prices on an electric heater vs. gas powered heater vs. a solar heater. Also, I found some online resources where some DIYers created their own systems for heating their pools.
My pool came with my home at the time I purchased it, however, my neighbor had a great experience with a company and I can get their name for you!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,222,217 times
Some good information on salt water pool maintenance

Salt Water Pool Conversions - LS1GTO.com Forums

Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM

140 posts, read 380,809 times
The salt water chlorinator is GREAT ... really almost a must. Also, though it is not as good in the dead of winter (like we have one), I love my solar heater.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM

99 posts, read 289,603 times
It is better to get it done during the pool construction than do the conversion later. Conversion is not cheap.

We never did it, but always wished that we had done it.[/quote]

The conversion we undertook with our pool ran around $1,500 - which is far cheaper than keeping the pool running the old school way. It is not hard to do, an experienced tech can splice the piping into what exists and the hardware for salt water chlorinating included with that new set of plumbing. The "brains" for the system are daisy chained into the existing timer/switch box for your pool and voila, you're done, enjoying better water. Also, when you first start up the system, it takes about 400 pounds of special salt - purchased in 40 pound bags at around $6-7 dollars a bag.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 34,359 times
Great Info everyone, Thanks !! We're convinced - salt system it is.
I'm intrigued with the "solar heater", how well does this work ? How much more (or less) expensive was it ?

Friends who got a spa attached are having lots of problems, keeps leaking. jets stop working, etc. We have a portable spa which I know does not look as good but has alot more jets then we'd have on attached spa and we figure when it breaks, throw it away. Any thoughts on your spa ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area