Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM

363 posts, read 929,522 times

Advertisements

These 9 pages were totally depressing. I am about to accept a position in Oakland Park... and am totally bummed. I've lived in New Jersey, Montana and own a home in Mesa, AZ where my wife and 10 year old is currently residing. Is the situation similar north of Oakland Park as well? I know it's not far from FLL, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM

74 posts, read 129,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
These 9 pages were totally depressing. I am about to accept a position in Oakland Park... and am totally bummed. I've lived in New Jersey, Montana and own a home in Mesa, AZ where my wife and 10 year old is currently residing. Is the situation similar north of Oakland Park as well? I know it's not far from FLL, but still...
No,it is definitely not as bad as some people are making it out to be at all,and it is better if you are relocating here to listen to the posters who have had the most positive experiences because most of them seem to have been recruited down here as well and live in the better areas of Broward and can probably give you more constructive advice on where to live.Personally,I would not live in the eastern area of Broward and would go west to Weston,Plantation,Parkland,maybe Cooper City.The schools are better in these area.Don't get bummed out,if you are coming here with a good job offer you will be fine.South Florida is a beautiful area with alot to do here.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM

363 posts, read 929,522 times
Hey loras1,

Appreciate some good news!!!!! Yeah we will have to juggle somehow this situation to be under the same roof again. I work in Montana, she lives in Arizona... so Florida will be a common ground to start over I guess. She will hate to give up our 4000 sqft pool home in Arizona but that's life... We got to do what we got to do...

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM

34 posts, read 106,313 times
down by the beach is alrite in ft lauderdale but the property price isnt worth it imo

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vuckovich View Post
vergara is has been , she is over 35 now . i know her family in medellin , she comes from money , big money . she's also rude and snobby . i lived in same bulding as her back early 90s, saw her in elevator many times . she was so rude to people . back then she had a reputation on brickell as a rude stuck up snob nobody snob from colombia .

You are a major BS artist and a troll .... Sofia Vergara is from Barranquilla , Colombia not Medellin .. so you do not know her family ... I have heard that opposite in fact hear she is quite the sweetheart .. you know her family my arse

Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Vuckovich View Post
vergara is has been , she is over 35 now . i know her family in medellin , she comes from money , big money . she's also rude and snobby . i lived in same bulding as her back early 90s, saw her in elevator many times . she was so rude to people . back then she had a reputation on brickell as a rude stuck up snob nobody snob from colombia .
She is doing pretty well for a has been and she is not 35 but 39 and still looks like a doll to me ... but then I forgot you are the resident Adonis on this is site

Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM

34 posts, read 106,313 times
Quote:
anywhere on oakland park is a horrendous area

id avoid that area like the plague regardless of the pay

Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM

45 posts, read 85,442 times
It's funny how there are a lot of Floridians in the thread who just so happen to be the intellectual folks, as opposed to the vast majority of their fellow residents.

Perhaps a bit of psychological self-examination is in order, as well as a critical look at the epistemic methods being employed.

It's so common to run into folks posting on message boards who are the gifted ones, contra the masses, that we have to wonder just where these inferior masses are hiding. They sure aren't on the Internet.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 AM

52 posts, read 93,397 times
Fort Pierce seems more "South Florida" than Martin County. Lots of royal poincianas and coconut palms growing there. More boating & fishing too. What about Vero?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM

28 posts, read 165,943 times
Hi Maytyoka

Sorry that there are mostly negatives here but the sad truth is that South Florida is not a very family friendly place. Now I am not saying that you cannot make it with a family because plenty of people do. What you see over here are frustrations of parents (including myself) of the lack of community feel and the absence of a good eduction system. Furthermore, I think my fellow parents are also fed up with trying to be optimistic over the years, I mean the great weather/beach can take you only soo long till you realize the added challenges of raising a kid down here.

Having said that don't get soo discouraged about moving down, everyone is different so you never know, you might just love the area and what it has to offer for your child. I agree with the other poster, Oakland park is not bad to work but I would not live anywhere near there especially when you have a kid. But there are few options, look at Parkland, some parts of Davie, Weston or even Plantation. The key is to stay west of Pine Island road and you should be fine. These areas are family oriented. Wish you all the best, try not to get discouraged, come and experience it for yourself and who knows you might even become like us, hating it but still don't want to move (just kidding)

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area