Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times

Advertisements

ugh, another NYer moving to south FLA?
please god no. Make it stop LOL

Leave ur aggressiveness and crap attitude back in NY is my only suggestion to you. There will be no ripping out of larnyx's or anything of the sort here. Like calm ur NY butt down and just chill out a bit.

Ppl from NY tend to be pushy and rude, which ruins it for everyone else. They're such a proud lot too "I'm from NY, yall betta recognize".... LOL!!! whatever

anyway, like most ppl already mentioned...if u can make it in NY, then south fla will be no problem for you. Oh, and if u have a staten island accent, please reduce it as much as possible, because it sounds like nails on a chalkboard, thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
then you do not want to hear me speak....I have a Brooklyn Accent not much different from Staten Island...however I am intelligent and We are not all rude

Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
then you do not want to hear me speak....I have a Brooklyn Accent not much different from Staten Island...however I am intelligent and We are not all rude

Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 27,655 times
haha..optimus..i have curtailed the accent pretty well and gi ve me some credit i married a woman who wasnt from staten island, or nyc for that matter.lol
anyway, i was figuring that the whole" if u can survive in ny thing, u can survive anywhere" was going to be true for south florida..i have been all over this country and i have been to places where they say hello to u on the street when u dont know them and quite frankly it is nice but also freaks me out a ittle bit...i would leave th nyc attitude in ny , i promise! lol
as for job, that is not an issue as we both have rock solid job security ..anyway, i would not be able to send to private schools so finding an area whre schools are good is of most importance..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
You will see NYC attitude all over South FL too, because that's where most of the populace is from originally or they are immigrants from South America. I will say South FL is probably scaled back a bit compared to NYC's attitude, but South FL still has more attitude than almost everywhere else except NYC.

There is really nothing else to compare between South FL and NYC. There is no comparison. Everything is completely different here. Totally different lifestyle.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM

542 posts, read 1,099,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudjohn View Post
Hey all..

Ok so i have posted on this forum before, but time is dwindling and i need to make a decision soon...and just wanted to get the bottom line comparison. Nolefan, i am calling u out because i can tell u shoot from the hip and like and appreciate ur previous no nonsense posts! having aid that, any one else is more than welcome to reply...

So i have read all the bad about south florida and how the people suck, the aggresiveness, the "bad" element, etc etc...im a realist and i know its not all sunshine and palm trees but i am a nyc boy with a wife and baby girl and i am looking for a change...born in brooklyn, raised in Staten Island...i basically wanna know how it compare to ny....where i live and where i am from, people are beyond ggresive (see mob wives/jersey shore etc...sorry to admit but true)...if u look at another person the wrong way they are ready to rip ur larnyx out...my wife isnt from ny and she has had enough...i am born and raised so for me, it is kinda normal...i am used to it...for thoe who are familiar with nyc, particularly the outer boroughs (as manhattan is like fake nyc), can u please offer me some final insight and comparison before i make my final decision i just wanna get some final input...thanks in advance!
I love this!! Spoken like a true NYCer, cause it's true! I was born in Manhattan, but i grew up in Bklyn. There was a difference then & there's still a difference now. That's one of the reasons why the newer transplants have been venturing out to the outer-boroughs.

Unfortunately, i have nothing else to add since I've only live here 1 1/2 months. I can say, so far, so good. Oh, and people tailgate like a mug down here. Not b/c there's a lot of traffic, just b/c that's how people drive. I don't care if you're doing 85 on a 35, someone will still be on your butt.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
I have to agree with you on that one....The drivers here omg if you value your life please be careful...lol

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
I love this!! Spoken like a true NYCer, cause it's true! I was born in Manhattan, but i grew up in Bklyn. There was a difference then & there's still a difference now. That's one of the reasons why the newer transplants have been venturing out to the outer-boroughs.

Unfortunately, i have nothing else to add since I've only live here 1 1/2 months. I can say, so far, so good. Oh, and people tailgate like a mug down here. Not b/c there's a lot of traffic, just b/c that's how people drive. I don't care if you're doing 85 on a 35, someone will still be on your butt.
Get out of the left lane.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM

175 posts, read 353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudjohn View Post
Hey all..

Ok so i have posted on this forum before, but time is dwindling and i need to make a decision soon...and just wanted to get the bottom line comparison. Nolefan, i am calling u out because i can tell u shoot from the hip and like and appreciate ur previous no nonsense posts! having aid that, any one else is more than welcome to reply...

So i have read all the bad about south florida and how the people suck, the aggresiveness, the "bad" element, etc etc...im a realist and i know its not all sunshine and palm trees but i am a nyc boy with a wife and baby girl and i am looking for a change...born in brooklyn, raised in Staten Island...i basically wanna know how it compare to ny....where i live and where i am from, people are beyond ggresive (see mob wives/jersey shore etc...sorry to admit but true)...if u look at another person the wrong way they are ready to rip ur larnyx out...my wife isnt from ny and she has had enough...i am born and raised so for me, it is kinda normal...i am used to it...for thoe who are familiar with nyc, particularly the outer boroughs (as manhattan is like fake nyc), can u please offer me some final insight and comparison before i make my final decision i just wanna get some final input...thanks in advance!

You seem like a good person, so I'm confused as to why you would want to move to south florida. You mentioned that your wife has had it with NYC, but what makes her think FL is puppies and rainbows? Because it's not.

So many people move down here, take huge pay cuts and then realize that living in FL isn't like going to the beach every day. You still have to work, but you will be paid far less money and the schools your children attend aren't guaranteed to be any better than the schools up North.

Look at the poster living in Palm Beach. It is great for her family because they have planned out their move and can afford to live here comfortably (not paycheck to paycheck).

I'm not sure of your employment situation, but in FL, salaries are notoriously low. I wouldn't want you or your family to suffer simply because your wife is pissed about NY. C'mon. Go where the money is. If its in FL (doubtful) then come on down. I suspect that you would make more money up there though.

You have a family to support and moving far from your family is a life changing important decision. I think the economic factors should take precident over emotional factors. South Florida is for vacation or, if you can afford it, to live on the water. Just my two cents. All the best

Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Get out of the left lane.
Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing. I cannot decide which is worse. The people tailgating and weaving in and out of lanes, or the oblivious ones who drive slow in the left lane with both hands firmly gripped to the steering wheel as if no other cars are on the road. You cannot drive continuously in the left lane because every 1000 feet some idiot is driving slow in the fast lane. There are 5 lanes people! The left lane is for passing only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area