Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

I love Hollywood. All cities have bad areas, it's part of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,915,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
The Presidente Supermarket on Pembroke Rd wouldn't be out of place in Hialeah (it even has the ubiquitous presence of an overweight cop drinking Cuban coffee at the ventanita) but most of Hollywood is more of a mix of people.
That's my favorite Presidente! Ok, I'll admit that's mainly because it's the one closest to me! But it wouldn't be complete without the guard beside the door, Jehova's Witness ladies passing out Spanish pamphlets in front, the bakery and the cell phone counter tucked in the corner. When I don't want to hear Spanish anymore, I can walk a block to the Russian market, passing by a local bar that always seems to be packed with the local motorcycle gang.

Nevermind the *historic* motels across Federal Highway or the fact that quite a few people actually use the bicycle lanes to get around, I get a kick out of that neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,424,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pljean View Post
I love Hollywood. All cities have bad areas, it's part of life.
Not all medium sized cities have as many bad areas as Hollywood. I'm not saying its all bad. Hollywood has good beaches and I like the downtown area which is being revitalized. But there is a lot of bad stuff around Hollywood.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
I was raised in hollywood all my life. West of turnpike. Dont complain bout the bad areas. Do smething about it. They have a good citizen crime watch there. Remember good neighborhoods start with us. Anti terrorism starts at home why should this be different. Doing nothing about it is when its bad.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,424,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizl View Post
I was raised in hollywood all my life. West of turnpike. Dont complain bout the bad areas. Do smething about it. They have a good citizen crime watch there. Remember good neighborhoods start with us. Anti terrorism starts at home why should this be different. Doing nothing about it is when its bad.
Very encouraging words, but try telling that to anyone who lives in Hollywood and actually getting them to do something about it.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM

48 posts, read 83,411 times
My guess... Everyone sees things differently Hollywood. at depend when and where you are....
'cause Hollywood better than space that some of Miami, really the people is little "strange" and some guy is little scruffy, but is less than in Miami....

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM

139 posts, read 312,713 times
I use to live right near downtown Hollywood (a few blocks from the strip). The area is a little "transient" but I liked the vibe and didn't have any issues with bums or crime and never felt unsafe. There are some seedy areas, but still nothing that made me not want to live there. Also, Hollywood Beach is my favorite S. Florida Beach and would even patron that beach even after I'd left the Hollywood area.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
I was under the impression that all cities have their "good and their bad". I have lived in Dublin, Ireland, England, France, Spain, and Japan, was raised in Portland, OR & Seattle-Spokane, WA area and have seen a lot. It is nice to find a website like this so newcomers can avoid "questionable" areas. The sad thing is that bad happens in all areas it seems. Hopefully less often in the better areas, but that is debatable. We just need to be observant, and try to pass the good forward whenever we get the chance. Have a great day. The weather is gorgeous!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM

75 posts, read 174,463 times
I think you should just move where you want, as long as you visited there or stayed in the area for a while you should feel comfy moving there. People on this forum tend to think the only place to live is WESTON, PARKLAND, OR COOPER CITY.

Anywhere else is "GHETOOO"

Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM

23 posts, read 40,649 times
Default Hollywood has seen better days

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
Hollywood has plenty of nice areas -- the Lakes section, including Diplomat Parkway and Harbor Islands, Emerald Hills and most of Hollywood Hills. It's only central and west Hollywood that are sketchy.

I disagree with Rock Newman that these are "up and coming" nice areas, though. These parts of Hollywood have always been the most upscale. Hollywood's problem is that the areas that used to be nice in the 60's and 70's have gone so far downhill as to be dangerous now. I've lived here for 60 years and I've seen the very sad decline of a once beautiful city.
I agree. We moved to Hollywood Hills because my husband had fond childhood memories of visiting relatives in Hollywood Hills during the 70's. At one time this use to be a nice, middle class neighborhood. Not any more! In the past year my car was stolen from my driveway and our house burglarized. Several homes in the neighborhood have been burglarized, including the one with the 10-year hiding in his closet, which made national news.
A jewelry store about 4 blocks from my house was robbed at gunpoint. My 80 something year old neighbor woke up and found someone in her home....lots of empty houses due to foreclosures...it's really quite sad.
Our neighbors are good, honest, hard working people, but for whatever reason, Hollywood Hills is in deep decay and has definitely seen better days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area