Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberCo View Post
I agree. We moved to Hollywood Hills because my husband had fond childhood memories of visiting relatives in Hollywood Hills during the 70's. At one time this use to be a nice, middle class neighborhood. Not any more! In the past year my car was stolen from my driveway and our house burglarized. Several homes in the neighborhood have been burglarized, including the one with the 10-year hiding in his closet, which made national news.
A jewelry store about 4 blocks from my house was robbed at gunpoint. My 80 something year old neighbor woke up and found someone in her home....lots of empty houses due to foreclosures...it's really quite sad.
Our neighbors are good, honest, hard working people, but for whatever reason, Hollywood Hills is in deep decay and has definitely seen better days.
That's crazy and would explain why Hollywood Hills HS is now a poor performing school. I attended South Broward HS which was always the ugly duckling in comparison and find it interesting how roles have reversed.
I think even McArthur HS is outperforming Hollywood Hills. It seems many of the older, more established Hollywood neighborhoods have held on while the newer areas have really headed south. I was in the area a few months ago and noticed my old neighborhood (east of Memorial Hospital/35th Street, north of Hollywood Blvd and south of Taft Street east over to I-95) has pretty much held form from when I grew up. That was nice to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 103,707 times
I've read all of the above with great interest. Next month, I'm considering my first trip to Florida (well, a previous jaunt in and out of Orlando doesn't count, right?) from my home in Arizona. I am considering setting up shop for 2 - 3 weeks at a hostel in Hollywood a couple blocks from the beach (Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel + Hotel :: Home). This place would be my base to explore this area and points south.

I would love to read any and all thoughts you fine folks might have about this.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM

179 posts, read 308,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I've been through this stretch many times on the way to the Galleria and Beaches and never noticed any ghetto though it's obviously a lower income area. Is this the best you can do???

441 through Lauderhill and Tamarac is another low-income area, but it's also far from being a ghetto!

But yes, basically all of Hollywood is nice compared with those stretches.
You obviously didn't make a right or left off of Sunrise Blvd then. It is very ghetto.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM

179 posts, read 308,608 times
What's considered "ghetto" is all about perception. What I perceive as "ghetto" might not be what another person perceives as ghetto. With that said, I don't consider Hollywood very ghetto. It's got a few seedy areas like Carver Ranches (definitely ghetto) and some areas off US1 that are questionable, but I think that's Dania. Overall, I love Hollywood. I love the Downtown area. I love some of the old architecture. I just love the overall vibe of certain areas of Hollywood. It's old school.

You gotta realize, some people are sheltered or have lived in paradise their whole lives and as soon as they see one bum or a few minorities they start calling the neighborhood "ghetto".

Old 04-16-2014, 04:36 AM

227 posts, read 437,900 times
Hollywood, with their size, obviously has bad and nice parts, but it's not majority ghetto. People are being paranoid here.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
Hollywood, with their size, obviously has bad and nice parts, but it's not majority ghetto. People are being paranoid here.
Hollywood is the definition of sketch. It has some nice parts, but the good areas are outnumbered by the sketchy areas. There really aren't any "ghettos" in Hollywood like you see in Miami Gardens, but there are lots of very sketchy areas. Hollywood's main arteries are filled with bums. US1 has a lot of interesting architecture from the 50's, but unfortunately the area is overrun by hourly motels, check cashing stores, liquor stores, and other seedy businesses. The area looks depressed.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
Nolefan is 100% correct. Hollywood used to be nice but not anymore. It's sad, really.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 AM

77 posts, read 110,355 times
Hollywood is an improvement from most parts of Miami BUT its still not a very nice place. Stay away from the Turnpike and closer to the beach you either have nice or druggies who live in those cheap motel type of places close by the water. Hollywood is where most of the pain management crap started and so many ppl there got caught up in the roxi scene which is a very sad situation you should want to stay far away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area