Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 26,055 times

Advertisements

I'm about to move to Hollywood from Miami and I don't see what gets discussed on these forums at all.

I feel like the threads I read about Hollywood make it sound dangerous and "ghetto", but the area I come from in Miami is far worse than Hollywood would ever be.

I have people come up to my window asking if I want to buy any variety of drug right on the street in the middle of the day. Once every six months the cops raid the area and "clean it up", but a week later there's twenty dealers back on their corners selling crack, coke, heroin..etc right in the open.

I haven't see anything like that in Hollywood!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM

34 posts, read 106,340 times
miami is so bad that in comparision hollywood doesnt seem so bad

that could be the only excuse imo

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Hollywood has a mix of really bad neighborhoods, neighborhoods that are a little scruffy but not all that dangerous, and nice neighborhoods. It really depends on where in Hollywood you live.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Lets see...

- most of Hollywood is run down, old, and ghetto in many parts
- there are bums all over the streets
- the traffic is bad
- crime is higher than average
- schools are horrible
- for non-Spanish people, Spanish is becoming the dominant language

Just being safer than Miami is not that impressive of an endorsement.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 37,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Hollywood has a mix of really bad neighborhoods, neighborhoods that are a little scruffy but not all that dangerous, and nice neighborhoods. It really depends on where in Hollywood you live.
Where exactly are the nice areas? Just curious, as I couldn't seem to find them.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

As usual a balanced , smart and honest opinion from Momma Bear ... agree Hollywood has all of the above ... I actually like most of Hollywood myself and the closer you are to the water the better .

Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
xFM

29 posts, read 93,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonKelly View Post
Where exactly are the nice areas? Just curious, as I couldn't seem to find them.
I lived on Sheridan St right before the causeway. Loved living there, peaceful, low crime. Had West Lake Park right there and only a 1 mile run to the beach.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonKelly View Post

Anything near the water .... anything near the Diplomat hotel ... any of the homes on Holywood Blvd just east of downtown .... Emerald Hills .. I believe it is called is a very nice upscale neighborhood .. yes Hollywood has crappy areas but also some up and coming nice areas as well .

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM

443 posts, read 895,955 times
Hollywood has plenty of nice areas -- the Lakes section, including Diplomat Parkway and Harbor Islands, Emerald Hills and most of Hollywood Hills. It's only central and west Hollywood that are sketchy.

I disagree with Rock Newman that these are "up and coming" nice areas, though. These parts of Hollywood have always been the most upscale. Hollywood's problem is that the areas that used to be nice in the 60's and 70's have gone so far downhill as to be dangerous now. I've lived here for 60 years and I've seen the very sad decline of a once beautiful city.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM

367 posts, read 941,044 times
Hollywood does not have a bad rep compared to the hoods in Ft Lauderdale like Sistrunk. Get off on the 95 on Sunrise Blvd and drive east into those neighborhoods and you will see Hollywood is nice lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area