U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

Active 55+ individual, no children (love the water and sports) want to move from HOUSTON, Tx to a more relaxed environment near the ocean. Looking for a condo with an ocean view. Any suggestions as to where I might begin my search.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 PM

367 posts, read 875,198 times
Fort Lauderdale more relaxed than Houston, TX? LOL

You want a relaxed environment near the ocean, check the FL gulf coast, Naples comes to mind.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,924,179 times
I don't think you're going to fit in here. It is not relaxed here, unless you get a condo right on the beach somewhere like Pompano Beach or Boca Raton and spend 100% of your time there. South FL is like a zoo. It is very fast paced.

You may want to check out Palm Beach County though, because its more laid back than Broward County or Miami-Dade and has plenty of beaches. Maybe check out areas like Delray Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,805 times
As a 44 year resident of Ft. Lauderdale, I can think of many different condominiums on 'the sand' or near the ocean
that would match your requirements, and that would make you happy. First, and most important, unless you decide to pay all cash, you would need to be pre-qualified for a loan. Once you have taken care of this, then I would recommend working with an experienced realtor who has knowledge of the east side of Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach,
Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton. The realtor can then set up a search within your requirements that you will receive
automatically via e-mail. I am an experienced realtor who knows these areas, and if you need any help, please ask.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM

4,957 posts, read 6,754,410 times
[quote=Nolefan34;24477171]I don't think you're going to fit in here. It is not relaxed here, unless you get a condo right on the beach somewhere like Pompano Beach or Boca Raton and spend 100% of your time there. South FL is like a zoo. It is very fast paced.quote]

This is true

Look at a different area of Florida.
Relaxed is not a word I'd use to describe South Florida.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 38,786 times
Default If you are looking for quiet, check out the west coast of Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Fort Lauderdale more relaxed than Houston, TX? LOL

You want a relaxed environment near the ocean, check the FL gulf coast, Naples comes to mind.
I agree that if you are looking for a relaxed environment, South Florida isn't going to be a good match. The west coast of Florida is much nicer, more relaxed and the cost of living is a bit less than South Florida. I find the gulf beaches less crowded, cleaner and overall far more beautiful than South Florida beaches. Plus the only Trader Joe's in Florida are on the west coast (Naples & Sarasota) if that's important to you.

You might want to rent a condo for a week in various areas to check things out firsthand. It's really a drag to buy a place in an area you don't like and get stuck there until you can sell.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,924,179 times
I wouldn't call the west coast beaches "much nicer". It really depends which part of the west coast. The SW FL areas such as Naples, Ft. Myers, and Sarasota have beautiful beaches with hour glass sand. The Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater beaches are not nearly as nice and are actually inferior to South FL's beaches. South FL beaches are very nice themselves, we just don't have the pure white hour glass sand you get in SW FL. West coast beaches are also far less accessible than South FL beaches. Less crowded? I suppose. But SW FL beaches are also much tougher to get to. Sanibel and Captiva are tourists traps and are very crowded. You have to drive 45 minutes away from Ft. Myers to get there.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,461,705 times
"I wouldn't call the west coast beaches "much nicer"."

Geez, neither would I, unless you enjoy hacking up a lung from red tide. I lived in the Ft. Lauderale area for 20+ years and now I live on the west coast of Fla and the Gulf is gross, IMO. It's basically a huge toilet, despite all the fluffy BP ads. Many people are in complete denial about it, too, but I guess you can't blame them if they have financial interests in the area, like homes and businesses. The west coast of Fla has other charms, but the beaches aren't it.

I agree with the posters here, South Florida is anything but mellow. You might like Cocoa or Ormond Beach, though. The mid coast of Florida along the Atlantic has some communities that are more laid-back, I think.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,646,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"I wouldn't call the west coast beaches "much nicer"."

Geez, neither would I, unless you enjoy hacking up a lung from red tide. I lived in the Ft. Lauderale area for 20+ years and now I live on the west coast of Fla and the Gulf is gross, IMO. It's basically a huge toilet, despite all the fluffy BP ads. Many people are in complete denial about it, too, but I guess you can't blame them if they have financial interests in the area, like homes and businesses. The west coast of Fla has other charms, but the beaches aren't it.

I agree with the posters here, South Florida is anything but mellow. You might like Cocoa or Ormond Beach, though. The mid coast of Florida along the Atlantic has some communities that are more laid-back, I think.

Gross? A huge toliet? What beaches are you visiting? Siesta Key Beach is one of the more gorgeous beaches in the world.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,461,705 times
"Siesta Key Beach is one of the more gorgeous beaches in the world."

Of course. When you're wearing a gas mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area