Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 11,483 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to purchase home in Oakland Park, and am trying to get information about the safety of that area, being a transplant from New York, dont know much about area. I am a single, 47 years old, recently divorced male with 14 year old boy, who I hope will live with me full time, but for now, at least part time. It has been suggested that I would feel most comfortable within area that has the most feel of New York, and was informed that Wilton Manors, Oakland Park, and Ft. Lauderdale, have that City feel, but with better weather and sunshine. We have all been affected with the current econmoic crisis, and we can all tell some war stories, but financially it's most economical for me to reside in Florida, do have Job down there, and can spend approximately 100-150,000 for a single family home. Coming from New York, and I dont care what part of NY, there are good, and bad area's, but most of all there are area's that are safer than others. Dont want to be in an area, where drive by shootings are a way of life, so trying to do the best with my budget, Thank You
PS: Was informed by some people that safe section is East of 95 to N. Dixie Hwy(811) between
NW 44th St. and W. Oakland Pk. Blvd, All opinions would greatly be appreciated

Last edited by dashn1; 07-01-2012 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: Was told E. of 95 to N. Dixie HWY(811) between NW 44th ST, and West Oakland Pk Blvd, is a nice area, and centrally located
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
The area of NW 44th St. and W. Oakland Pk. Blvd is fine. As you said no area is crime free. The area you mention is on the outskirts of Oakland Park that border the city of Fort Lauderdale.

Good luck with the move.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM

44 posts, read 83,820 times
Thank you for your reply. The house is on 34th, and was told that the closer to Wilton Manors should make it more desirable. Some have stated that stay away from the corridor between N. Dixie Hwy and US1, but I dont know if that applies to Oakland park and east of it, I think they referred to more North area's. If you can expand on any more info that would be great. Thank You

Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM

153 posts, read 248,787 times
I'm a recent transplant from NJ who has spent an awful lot of time in NYC. I'm currently living in Oakland Park on NE 34th and I can tell you that if you're expecting it to have a NY feel, you're in for a culture shock. Not that it's a bad thing. I visited the area frequently and came here to escape NJ. Oakland Park doesn't feel like NY to me at all and Wilton Manors, while very interesting is the heart of the Gayborhood...again, "not that there's anything wrong with that". Sure Fort Lauderdale proper might have the urban feel you want, but you won't be able to buy anything with the budget you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area