U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 12,747 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be visiting the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area next month and we booked a hotel in Dania Beach. Is the Hyatt House on SW 18th Ave in a safe neighborhood and is this a nice hotel? If not please give me some recommendations, I don't mind a nice hotel in Miami, since we will be touring that area as well. I am not a discriminative person however, we visited Atlanta a couple of months ago and read reviews of a place being nice, but it was the opposite. I just do not want to end up at a property that is dated, dirty and have ethnic food odors because Cumin, Tumeric, and Curry have strong smells.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM

326 posts, read 916,286 times
I've never stayed there so I can't tell you how it smells. It's not really in a neighborhood. It's kind of tucked back behind a bunch of businesses just off of Interstate 95. The only thing I can think of is that there may be noise from the interstate, but you could ask for a room on the east side of the building and it should be quiet.

It should only take you a couple of minutes to get onto 95 so you'll be able to get to Ft Lauderdale very quickly and Miami as well depending on traffic.

It isn't in a scenic area at all so if views, access to the beach, etc is important to you then you won't have it there.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 AM

392 posts, read 1,201,966 times
KOHL

I would look at getting a hotel on the beach - Either Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood.....

That particular hotel and the ones in that area to me are for the cruise passenger coming in the day before their cruise or the person having to stay overnight to catch a flight the next day....

Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Thank you all for the responses and insight. We canceled and booked in Miami(Brickell).

Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,985,765 times
That hotel was fine. It was near a bunch of shopping. I'm not sure why people posted such negative things.

Anyways, where in Brickell did you book and why so far south? Brickell is a nice area but is a different area entirely.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

@Nolefan34, thank you for the response...I didn't know what to think about the area. I booked at the Hampton and the reason being is because we're actually coming to enjoy Miami however, I have family in Ft.Lauderdale that I may or may not visit while I am there. So, being in either place really didn't matter to me, I just wanted to be somewhere plesant.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Brickell is a very nice area. Usually very pricey, but it sounds like money isn't the issue for you. You'll have a great time. Brickell is a destination area. The original hotel you picked is decent and so is the area, but not as good as Brickell.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 PM

Do you live in Lauderdale or Miami...because I want to know what else is there to do in Miami other than the beach and shopping?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM

I live in the Lauderdale area now, but have lived in Miami before and know both areas inside out. There is plenty to do in Miami besides the beach and shopping. It depends what your tastes area. You might get a kick out of exploring some of the historical areas like Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. Viscaya is pretty cool. You may also want to do an Everglades airboat ride just west of Miami. If you are a city person, go to Brickell and take a walk around. It is a pretty cool downtown neighborhood. South Beach is interesting to most people even without going on the actual beach or shopping. There are endless blocks of places to walk, things to see.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,034,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohl View Post
Is the Hyatt House on SW 18th Ave in a safe neighborhood
It is right in the middle of a small ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area