Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,632,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantusmellthatsmell View Post
The truth is you can't unless your meaning in life is struggle. I was recently called by a company to do a project in FLL and was asked what I felt was fair compensation. I was asked "Is that NC money, or FL money?" Huh? NC money......we're already beat up here enough. I just laughed it off and said "you can't afford me". They want skilled workers but wont pay. He called me back 3 mos later and offered me a little more. I acted like I didn't know him. My Brother lives in Los Olas Isles, makes +- 140K, and still calls for money. Live beneath your means. I live in the outer banks, make right a 100K, live waterfront and boat often. Its a short run into the triangle and they pay for skilled craft.
If your bro makes $140k/year and "still calls for money" - then he's probably got a serious cocaine habit you may want to address. Or simply living WAY beyond his means. $140k/year is more than enough to live well on Los Olas or beach front, and have a boat, etc.

And really, who would want to live in the outer banks? There is a reason your money goes so far... no demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 02:10 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
This is so true. And to the original poster, you're not the only one who asked what you did in the initial post. First of all, living in South Fl year-round is about a million times different from just visiting as a tourist. For the people who live here year-round, there are essentially 'haves' and 'have-nots.' Unless you work a job that you would be paid well for anywhere due to having the skills and education most don't - i.e. Doctor, Dentist or something that just pays well anywhere, like UPS Driver or being a manager of a service business like Publix, etc., you are screwed here, unless you were lucky enough to be born really rich. And in my experience, those people often have the most distorted worldviews. South FL isn't normal. And if you're lucky enough to be well-off, you will still be affected by that lack of good jobs, horrible school systems, the uneducated people, drug/alcohol problems, etc. You can't be away from it when it's around you everywhere. If you move here, I'd just tell you, don't let South Florida change you and bring you down. It has a way of doing that to people once they come down here. If you don't let it get to you and you make enough money, it's decent.
Publix managers such as assistant managers and managers of stores make really good money and can do well on bonuses. Dept managers make okay money. Store managers in busy stores make good money, just like owning your own business only getting stock options and benefits.

However, it takes years to become a store manager or assistant manager. It could take you 4 years before you became a department manager or more. Until then you're stuck stocking shelves for 9-11 bucks an hour and they only hire within so you have to work for those low wages for a long time. I work at Publix so I know. They told me in the front end in my district it takes almost 5 years to get full-time and go for management and it's the lowest paid dept in the store.

I don't know how they expect you to survive working for 8.50-12 an hour for years until you can get full-time and take management test. Many at my store work second jobs.

I notice that a lot here in Florida people working two jobs and I don't even live in Southeast Florida.

I was talking to a customer yesterday she told me she's a salaried manager at her office and how she's had to put in a lot of hours and is stressed and complained about not getting a raise and her boss told her that she was already being overpaid by "Florida standards."

The biggest complaint I hear about here in Florida is people who work in a technical field and education field about their low pay compared to even nearby states.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
If your bro makes $140k/year and "still calls for money" - then he's probably got a serious cocaine habit you may want to address. Or simply living WAY beyond his means. $140k/year is more than enough to live well on Los Olas or beach front, and have a boat, etc.

And really, who would want to live in the outer banks? There is a reason your money goes so far... no demand.

Yea because it seems they always get hit or brushed by hurricanes on a regular basis there and then you have to evacuate too.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 PM
l22

30 posts, read 33,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Publix managers such as assistant managers and managers of stores make really good money and can do well on bonuses. Dept managers make okay money. Store managers in busy stores make good money, just like owning your own business only getting stock options and benefits.

However, it takes years to become a store manager or assistant manager. It could take you 4 years before you became a department manager or more. Until then you're stuck stocking shelves for 9-11 bucks an hour and they only hire within so you have to work for those low wages for a long time. I work at Publix so I know. They told me in the front end in my district it takes almost 5 years to get full-time and go for management and it's the lowest paid dept in the store.

I don't know how they expect you to survive working for 8.50-12 an hour for years until you can get full-time and take management test. Many at my store work second jobs.

I notice that a lot here in Florida people working two jobs and I don't even live in Southeast Florida.

I was talking to a customer yesterday she told me she's a salaried manager at her office and how she's had to put in a lot of hours and is stressed and complained about not getting a raise and her boss told her that she was already being overpaid by "Florida standards."

The biggest complaint I hear about here in Florida is people who work in a technical field and education field about their low pay compared to even nearby states.
Yeah, I know. I have no idea how people how people make it down here when those are the only jobs available. Also, not everyone can be a manager, regardless of the business - there are only so many management positions available. South FL lacks any major industries that would be truly good for it's full-time residents who live and work here year-round. The only major industry here is the service industry and those jobs often pay very poorly.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM

610 posts, read 746,227 times
SFL used to have low housing costs (other than on the beach or intercoastal) and low wages. No problem.

Then real estate went nuts but wages stayed stagnant. Problem.

Housing here is about the same as in SFL (Raleigh NC area) but wages are much better.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 AM

142 posts, read 131,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
hahahah I knew BNBR wrote this before I even looked. Such truth.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:30 AM

I mean, isn't this an issue anywhere you live? I think so. How do people live well down here? Well how do they live well anywhere. Become a professional. Trust me, there are plenty of professional six figure jobs in south Florida. Took me just 3 weeks to land one, and got calls from many others.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l22 View Post
The only major industry here is the service industry and those jobs often pay very poorly.
Uhhhh, do you seriously think South Florida doesn't need engineers? IT? Marketing? Like ... what??

Old 07-03-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
I mean, isn't this an issue anywhere you live? I think so. How do people live well down here? Well how do they live well anywhere. Become a professional. Trust me, there are plenty of professional six figure jobs in south Florida. Took me just 3 weeks to land one, and got calls from many others.
What pro job is this? Not everyone is a doctor or lawyer. Even being a professional depending on the pay still might not be a lot. Sure 100k is a lot but in south FL it would be making like 70k a year elsewhere. Here in Southwest Florida housing isn't cheap but it's not as bad as southeast FL and they still have trouble finding doctors wanting to move to this region.

My dad's doctor moved from Miami to over here. He was tired of the congestion and the high cost of living down there. Rent for Dr office and everything over in this county is much cheaper than Dade county.

Making 170k a year in a high cost of living place like Dade county will still affect the quality of life you want to live.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Uhhhh, do you seriously think South Florida doesn't need engineers? IT? Marketing? Like ... what??
They do but those fields pay nowhere near what they pay in other states and with the high cost of living it isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area