Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:38 PM

142 posts, read 439,611 times

Advertisements

Could someone please explain the express lane and tolls. How much are we talking here?

I'm looking at taking the turnpike from 595 down to Golden Glades. Possibly 1 more exit down, but I read on another thread that this area is a mess and it's best to get off there...do you agree?

We are looking at Weston. Would it be better to just take 75? But it looks like there's another toll road from west to east...on 924?

Basically, tolls everywhere we go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
First of all, I'm assuming you're commuting to downtown Miami from Weston? If I am wrong, correct me. Because where you are going to/from greatly affects what route to take.

The Express Lane tolls vary depending on traffic. During peak times it is often $5 and during off-times it goes down to 25 cents.

From Weston to downtown Miami- The route you mentioned- taking 595 to Florida's Turnpike to the Golden Glades interchange then getting on 95 is the most popular way. Then once you merge onto 95 you immediately have to get over to your left to enter the express lanes. Traffic in the Golden Glades is a mess, but there really isn't any way to avoid it. You don't want to get off because you'll spend more time getting off than just staying on. Also, the neighborhoods off of there are really really bad.

Taking 75 doesn't make sense because you'd have to get on 826 (Palmetto Expressway) east which takes you right back to the Golden Glades interchange. 924 is Florida's Turnpike Extension. That route doesn't make sense because it takes you way out west far away from downtown Miami. The Turnpike Extension is only useful if you're commuting to other western and southern parts of Miami.

If you want to avoid tolls totally, then don't use the Express Lanes and take 595 east to 95 south all the way into Miami.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Oh sorry, I apologize for not clarifying, destination is just an exit or two after the Golden Glades area, I believe. Destination is in North Miami, close to the intersection of 125th and 12th. When doing directions on the map, it had me getting off and going through Golden Glades, then heading east on 125th. Bad idea?!? Or getting on 95 for just one exit?

Or, the other option it mapped was taking 75 to the turnpike extension. Since it's almost a straight shot. Does this seem silly?

I guess we can try it ourselves on or visit, but we will only have one week day morning, so we can't try both paths during rush hour.

Does that help clarify? Any different input..hopefully I stated it better! (sorry about that!)

Thanks so much!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Oh and toll prices change depending on the time of day? Wow! I have very little toll experience! Eeeek!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM

392 posts, read 1,261,106 times
There are basically 2 ways you can go from Weston to the NW 125 Street exit off I-95......

1) 595 E. to Turnpike S. into the Golden Glades and onto 95 S. to the 125 street exit (toll cost $1.25 one way)

2) 75 S. to 826 E. to 95 S. on towards the 125 street exit. (no tolls)

Either way you're looking at a good solid hour to hour and 15 minutes of travel time on a good day.....

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks!!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,120 times
I would take 75 south and 826 North (which actually goes East). 826 will be congested.

Maybe you can take Gratiny Parkway instead (toll road). It eventually turns into a local road and takes you to I-95.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
You won't be using the Express Lanes if you are exiting at 125th Street. The Express Lanes don't begin until right near where you will be exiting.

There are 3 routes you can take, and only one route (Florida's Turnpike to 95) has a toll booth that charges $1.25 just before you get on 95. No matter which of those routes you take, you must go through the Golden Glades interchange. There is no way around it.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Awesome. Thanks everyone.

I'm a little worried though. Weston to North Miami. May be more than we are prepared for in a commute. I guess it depends on how close to an interstate we are in Weston. We are now considering west Pembroke Pines.

Any opinions there?

I think some of y'all in previous threads even said, Weston is great if you work in Fort Lauderdale. Pembroke Pines is great if you work in Miami.

I just love the Weston schools and with 3, maybe more kids...school is important!!

Good thing is, my husband will be staying in a hotel for the first 6 weeks, so he may try some in both areas so he can actually experience the commute!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingHome View Post
Oh sorry, I apologize for not clarifying, destination is just an exit or two after the Golden Glades area, I believe. Destination is in North Miami, close to the intersection of 125th and 12th. When doing directions on the map, it had me getting off and going through Golden Glades, then heading east on 125th. Bad idea?!? Or getting on 95 for just one exit...
Thanks so much!
Here is another route to consider. If I had to go to North Miami, I would take Griffin Road to I-95 (I think I-595 is horrendous now with all the construction). Then south on I-95 to the Miami Gardens Drive/NE 6th Avenue exit. Go south on NE 6th Ave towards North Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area