U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM

17 posts, read 38,569 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help me with this, I am planning to got to Europe for long period and would like to take my car with me. I always wanted to go there by sea. Is there a way where I can take my car with me to there in 'the same cruise/ferry' so that I pick it up once I reach my destination? The destination country does not matter as long as it is western Europe, for example France, UK, Germany. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 AM

12,588 posts, read 14,723,325 times
A. Nothing like that exists in Florida
B. What kind of car are you bringing? Many US cars are not ideal for Europe. Can't see the 1988 Buick Riviera holding its own on the autobahn or any big SUV or pickup being worthwhile on European city streets!
C. Car ferry/ships usually are short distance not transcontinental

Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,216,787 times
You can ship your car to Europe but there is no way to ship it on a ferry or cruise ship with you. There are companies that will ship it for you - just Google " shipping automobile to Europe". It can ship as either a RoRo ( roll on, roll off) or ship as part of a container. it is very expensive.

You have to bring the car to the port were it will be shipped and then meet it at the port where it arrives. Most people will ship to Belgium or Bremerhaven, Germany. It is time consuming as your car will not be released immediately when it arrives ( lots of customs clearing, paperwork, tons of fees to be paid, etc.) Coming back is even worse as US Customs will keep the car for at least a week while they x-ray it).

If you do not own your car outright the lien holder may not let you take it out of the country. Once in Europe it has to be inspected, you have to arrange for insurance, temporary plates, etc.

Two problems you will have is that gas costs a fortune in Europe- currently about $10 a US gallon.Gas is seen as a privilege, not a right in Europe. Hence the popularity of very small cars and excellent train, bus transportation. Secondly, repairs, parts, oil are equally expensive and are going to be done by people who may or may not speak English well if at all, depending where you are in Europe. You would also need to check with your manufacturer to see if your warranty is voided by moving it out of the country.

So yes, you can do it if you want to go through the hassle and expense. But seriously, it's so much easier and cheaper just to rent a car while there on an as needed basis. European cities are not designed for cars and parking is far different than here.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,796,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You can ship your car to Europe but there is no way to ship it on a ferry or cruise ship with you. There are companies that will ship it for you - just Google " shipping automobile to Europe". It can ship as either a RoRo ( roll on, roll off) or ship as part of a container. it is very expensive.

You have to bring the car to the port were it will be shipped and then meet it at the port where it arrives. Most people will ship to Belgium or Bremerhaven, Germany. It is time consuming as your car will not be released immediately when it arrives ( lots of customs clearing, paperwork, tons of fees to be paid, etc.) Coming back is even worse as US Customs will keep the car for at least a week while they x-ray it).

If you do not own your car outright the lien holder may not let you take it out of the country. Once in Europe it has to be inspected, you have to arrange for insurance, temporary plates, etc.

Two problems you will have is that gas costs a fortune in Europe- currently about $10 a US gallon.Gas is seen as a privilege, not a right in Europe. Hence the popularity of very small cars and excellent train, bus transportation. Secondly, repairs, parts, oil are equally expensive and are going to be done by people who may or may not speak English well if at all, depending where you are in Europe. You would also need to check with your manufacturer to see if your warranty is voided by moving it out of the country.

So yes, you can do it if you want to go through the hassle and expense. But seriously, it's so much easier and cheaper just to rent a car while there on an as needed basis. European cities are not designed for cars and parking is far different than here.

Well said. Although not impossible, but rather expensive. I have a friend that sent his car months in advance to have it driven in Germany. It cost a pretty penny, but he could easily afford it. He's loaded. I don't know your financial situation, but you're better off renting once you get to whatever country you're visiting. Enjoy!!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,400 times
This makes me laugh a bit (in a nice way) because we (my wife, child and I) moved to Miami area from UK. My wife wanted to get a boat to Miami from Brighton because she thought it would be easier for our little one. Alas there are no ships the go between Europe and Florida except for luxury cruise liners, which take 2-3weeks and stop at various points.

Another option is to find a cargo boat, you can google that, plenty of cargo boats go between Florida and Europe and
maybe you could launch your car onto the ship (evil kenevil style) and chill with the crew for the 1-2week voyage. I doubt it would be cheap though. I beleive that may cargo boats offer cabins to paying guests.

Whats wrong with flying there and then buying a used car which you sell before you leave, even if you loose $1000 on the sale you save more this way.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,334 times
Default Ship car Europe

Some people don't know what they talking about!
There is a ship going out of Jacksonville which is called
roll on roll off which they drive your car inside and they go
to Bremerhaven Germany and it is not so expensive it cost about
$1200 one way and $1200 back. It will take between 8 and 10 days for your
car to get to Bremerhaven Germany. If you staying for month and month
it is worth it. Rent a car for 2 or 3 month is expensive and to buy
a used car in Europe it cost you at least 3000 to 4000 Euro if you want
a reliable car.
I can get you the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area