U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 AM

14 posts, read 34,812 times

Advertisements

Hi I am seriously thinking of moving from Georgia to Florida. Can any one tell me the good areas to live in. Do you think this would be a good move?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,572,049 times
most people are doing the opposite, that is moving from south florida to georgia or elsewhere....i do not recommend any move to south florida for a myriad of reasons.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,761,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
most people are doing the opposite, that is moving from south florida to georgia or elsewhere....i do not recommend any move to south florida for a myriad of reasons.
Haha thats exactly what I was going to say.

What part of Florida are you looking to move to jazz? And whats your budget? South Florida is VERY expensive, at least 3 times more than GA (I lived in GA too, so I know).

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,529,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrose View Post
Do you think this would be a good move?
I wish we could give you a definative answer. But this answer is really an individual decision. Everyone has their own unique experience about living in Miami, so I may not like it here, all my friends might not like it here, but my neighbor loves it. I can tell you this, that I know about 5 people that have moved to Miami-Dade in the last 3 years, and have all already left the state. I personally wouldn't recommend it, you know many people are going the other direction. In the end you really need to check it out for yourself, and remember that while on vacation in Miami it isn't the same as living in Miami.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,591,290 times
Quote:
Hi I am seriously thinking of moving from Georgia to Florida. Can any one tell me the good areas to live in. Do you think this would be a good move?
Although the myriad of reasons Jsinfla will give you not to come here are, in my opinion, nonsensical (he will generally give racial issues), there are some real reasons this is NOT a good choice. For one thing, Fort Lauderdale and surrounding areas, they are built out. This isn't good, because the economy isn't great as is, and this region is definitely experiencing a slight exodus, yet the cost of living is far out of line with what the average person makes. I think you can probably assume that this isn't good...

Anyway,I don't know what part of Georgia you are moving from,but if you are moving from the Atlanta area, the traffic will probably seem like a breeze, the area will feel distinctively less "sprawly", you will notice a lot less racial segregation, but more socio-economic segregation (class is more of an issue than race here, people got over the whole "Black neighborhood, white neighborhood" thing 10 years ago unlike around Atlanta), the schools will probably seem excellent, although most of them are mediocre, the crime rate will seem about the same, maybe a little lower here (Do I need to show the stats again guys?). I happen to think than analyzing the standard of living itself, this area works a lot better than metro Atlanta, but economically, it's a disaster waiting to happen, so I would very hesitantly recommend South FL unless you DO have a good job offer.

Regardless, there are a lot of nice areas here to look into, but do yourself a favor and RENT, do NOT buy right now!!!!! The best areas to live in Broward County are south of Atlantic Blvd are west of University Drive, and north of Atlantic, you can head east to the Turnpike and be in a consistently safe side of town. East of this, neighborhoods get a lot spottier, crime is a lot higher, folks are a lot more bizarre, and the traffic is a bit worse. If you are going to go east, go WAY east and stay on the side of U.S.1 closer to the coast. In general, nice, safe suburban areas to locate out west are (And be sure to use the stay west of University/Turnpike rule)...

Miramar (west half is a good school area if you need that)
Pembroke Pines (west half is a good school area if you need that)
Cooper City(good school area if you need that)
Weston(good school area if you need that)
Southwest Ranches (west half is a good school area if you need that)
Davie (west half is a good school area if you need that)
Plantation
Sunrise
Tamarac
Coral Springs (parts have good schools if you need that)
Margate
Coconut Creek (north half is a good school area if you need that)
Parkland (good school area if you need that)

If you prefer to live closer to the beach, there are some nice parts of Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood that are worth looking into, mostly east of U.S.1, although there are some exceptions to this rule like Emerald Hills in Hollywood. It would be safe to say that the rest of the county that I haven't already mentioned is basically a dump...stay out of

Pompano Beach
Oakland Park
Lauderdale Lakes
Lauderhill
parts of North Lauderdale (which isn't THAT bad)
parts of Fort Lauderdale
parts of Hollywood
parts of Hallandale beach
parts of Deerfield Beach.

So basically, the majority of the county is fairly nice and relatively safe, but stay out of the areas I mentioned at all costs.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-03-2007 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: bad grammar

Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 22,168 times
Default Your Move

Well it depends on where you live in Georgia. There are nice place to live here in Florida. You have Orlando, Pembroke Pines, Lakeland, Ocala it depends on what you are looking for. Even Miramar. If you want more information go to my profile and see my website.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,584 times
Default Reply Moving from Georgia to Florida

Quote:
1/3/07 Morning,+
Moving to Florida is a good move, I'm selling my home in an adult community because my children are planning on moving out, it's a beautiful home taxes aren't high the community has everything anyone would need, 1 person that lives in a home here needs to be 55 and kids are allowed if they are 18 or over, pets are welcome. We have single family homes with a garage and I'm on a canal, we have upgraded the kitchen and we have all new appliances including the A/C and water heater. It doesn't matter where you move in Florida you have good and bad neighborhoods in cities throughout the State. Our community is safe I've been here almost 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem...

Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 15,962,762 times
fort lauderdale

when you said "slight exodus" you are being modest.

to the original poster:

like other said you really have to come see it for yourself. Don't like at it like a tourist when you come, look at it as someone who will have to go through daily grind every day.

best of luck in your decision.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 AM

[quote=suez1;2152476]1/3/07 Morning,+
Moving to Florida is a good move, I'm selling my home in an adult community because my children are planning on moving out, it's a beautiful home taxes aren't high the community has everything anyone would need, 1 person that lives in a home here needs to be 55 and kids are allowed if they are 18 or over, pets are welcome. We have single family homes with a garage and I'm on a canal, we have upgraded the kitchen and we have all new appliances including the A/C and water heater. It doesn't matter where you move in Florida you have good and bad neighborhoods in cities throughout the State. Our community is safe I've been here almost 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem. We are here about 2 1/2 years never had an issue with anything. We are minutes from any major highway and shopping. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Moving to Fl from Georgia

Moving to Florida is a good move, I'm selling my home in an adult community because my children are planning on moving out, it's a beautiful home taxes aren't high the community has everything anyone would need, 1 person that lives in a home here needs to be 55 and kids are allowed if they are 18 or over, pets are welcome. We have single family homes with a garage and I'm on a canal, we have upgraded the kitchen and we have all new appliances including the A/C and water heater. It doesn't matter where you move in Florida you have good and bad neighborhoods in cities throughout the State. Our community is safe I've been here almost 2 1/2 years and have never had a problem. We are here about 2 1/2 years never had an issue with anything. We are minutes from any major highway and shopping. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area