Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,422,346 times

Advertisements

If you want laid back, you may want to check out downtown West Palm Beach or Palm Beach Gardens. Both are much more laid back than Fort Lauderdale and both are cheaper costs of living. Downtown West Palm has decent nightlife on Clematis Street and Palm Beach Gardens has some local joints that are up and coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,474,009 times
Del Ray is nice. Very popular and busy in the winter.

If you have to report to work in Fort Lauderdale even occasionally, personally I wouldn't live too far away. Traffic is very heavy and Florida is big and spread out. Cities were farther away from each other, and took more time to get to, than I expected.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 AM

11 posts, read 38,553 times
Will definitely check out West Palm beach and appreciate all this great information.

Although I am a little confused of everyone saying the rent is NYC prices. I have been looking on Trulia.com and have been finding what look like decent places for around $1000-$1500.
for example
2895 Northeast 32nd Street, Fort Lauderdale FL - Trulia
5050 Bayview Drive #8, Fort Lauderdale FL - Trulia

Just a couple I copied quickly. Is west of the turnpike no good?

Again, all this information is very valuable and appreciated!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 AM

32 posts, read 96,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniLew View Post
Will definitely check out West Palm beach and appreciate all this great information.

Although I am a little confused of everyone saying the rent is NYC prices. I have been looking on Trulia.com and have been finding what look like decent places for around $1000-$1500.
for example
2895 Northeast 32nd Street, Fort Lauderdale FL - Trulia
5050 Bayview Drive #8, Fort Lauderdale FL - Trulia

Just a couple I copied quickly. Is west of the turnpike no good?

Again, all this information is very valuable and appreciated!
Both of those are in a great areas. One of them is only a couple of blocks from me and I LOVE it. Close to the beach, too.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM

644 posts, read 1,474,009 times
I think there are affordable places in every city in Florida, except possibly someplace like Palm Beach Island. Palm Beach Gardens also runs a bit higher than some other nearby areas.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,386,450 times
When you find rentals online - call or email them. Don't assume what's online is accurate.
Not once have I followed up on one where the price they show online is about $200 less than what they're actually renting them for.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM

16 posts, read 33,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniLew View Post
Hey all!

I am moving to Fort Lauderdale area. I am not too familiar with the area. I am a Canadian, I will be moving with my girlfriend. We are in our late 20's. I have a job lined up.

Presently we live in a very chilled out beach area in Australia (Sunshine Coast). We are looking for something similar. A place that is close to the beach, laid back, lots of young professionals, not an over priced expansive cost of living and stuff to do outdoors. Anywhere north or south of Fort Lauderdale. I have heard about Del Ray being a bit like my description. Is that true?

Thanks so much, any information is greatly appreciated...
look no Further that Pompano beach that's were all the Canadian live, stay, and hang out. its a very nice area with a fish pier. You would love it there. check it out

Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 38,553 times
Thanks again for all the information.

So is it safe to say, the cost of living can be reasonable in the area if done correct. Would this be safe to say?

With the Canadian's living in Pompano are they in their 20's? or in their 80's? Ha ha...

Thanks again...

Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM

104 posts, read 228,032 times
You can find a nice place in your price range in Ft Lauderdale. You do not need to make six figures to live here. Since you're working at home, you won't have to deal with traffic much. You will also save on insurance, gas, and auto expenses.

Ft Lauderdale isn't that hectic. People who insist it is probably haven't lived in the Northeast. I wouldn't call it laid back, but it has it's peaceful moments if you know where to hang out.

Contrary to what you will read here, people are friendly, but you need to make an effort, too.

I have a modest salary, live in a decent area, and love Ft Lauderdale.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM

326 posts, read 946,479 times
I think with your housing budget you can find something nice. It really depends on how many bedrooms you need. My husband and I have a small 1 bed 1.5 bath right on Hollywood Beach. The building has a small gym (kind of useless really) a pool, laundry on every floor, 24 hour door person (not a guy opening doors, more like a security/concierge kind of guy), a parking spot for one car in the garage, a balcony where we can see the ocean on one side and the ICW on the other, cable tv included, water and trash included, and it's fully furnished. We pay $995 per month. If we renew our lease we'll be getting a $100 a month bump in rent because the HOA is going up. But even with that it's still a really good deal. We pay for electricity and internet. We also have to buy a parking permit for our other car at $150-ish per year, but that's just a Hollywood thing.
Honestly though, we lucked out. But it just goes to show you that if you take your time and look at a ton of places you'll find something that fits your budget and lifestyle.

As far as your social life goes, if you want to be around other Canadians then yes, they're going to be much, much older than you. Think your grandparents or even great grandparents ages. That's not to say there aren't ANY younger Canadian transplants, but the youngest full time Canadian I know living here is 38. And it seems like a lot of 20 somethings I've encountered work in the hospitality industry and a lot of those work more than one job leaving little time for socializing. There is a small, but transient community of young people who work on yachts that have money to spare and make the most of their time in Ft Lauderdale, but they come and go. Many of them are international with a lot of Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and a few Canadians and South Africans.

I'll agree with some of the others who said you won't really find much that's laid back in the Australia sense. It can be pretty hectic during the winter and even in the summer you're still going to find a lot of tourists on the beaches. South Florida is extremely built up. Unless you're in a park then it seems like just about every inch of beach area is full of high rises, hotels or exclusive mansions. Once you get north of Palm Beach County the beach is a little more open and it's much less hectic.

Moving inland from the beach you'll most likely find it like any other North American suburban area except with warmer weather and tropical foliage. Subdivisions, golf courses, strip malls, office and industrial parks and the like.

Have you done any research on the west coast of Florida? Maybe Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota, etc would be more to your laid back liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area