Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:08 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times

Advertisements

Lots of canals in the Riverside park area, do any hold fish, what kind, bait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Probably a lot of Snakehead, I have not fished the canals in years, but I have been thinking of digging out my tackle after watching videos of guys pulling out Snakehead galore, they are evasive so FFW prefers you don't through them back, though I think it's too late to bother killing them as they are spreading up here into Palm Beach County, I heard the canal along 441 has them in as well, good fighters so I read.

SnakeHead fishing in South Florida with Captain Shane Procell - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
They are a very tasty fish...on my last trip down one of my friends neighbors had caught several and had grilled them up and fried a few...apparently they are taking over the water ways throughout Florida...

Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM

I heard the same, but you have to be careful because another native species the Bowfin which look similar but can easily be ruled out with proper ID.

http://www.fws.gov/snakeheadfstotal.pdf

Snakehead have some nasty teeth too and are very aggressive, the concern is they will over take and wipe out the Bass population not sure if that is true?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Snakehead Fish

I am from Louisiana and not familiar with Snakehead's but i have heard of people fishing in Louisiana for Bowfin, in Louisiana they are call also choupique, pronounced ShoePik and are considered trash fish and found mainly in stagnant canals along highways are are fished using long cane poles- no rods and reels and are sought out by a specific segment of our society that relish them much is the same way as alligator gars. Generally the flesh is made into balls or cakes and fried. I have never caught one or eaten them so I can't say for sure but know they put up a hell of a fight. We have another invasive species that is hurting Louisiana waters- a Rio Grande Cichlid - that is agressive and invades bream and bass habitats and is gaining ground heavily in some areas unless we get a freeze and that slows them up a bit but they have a habit of burrowing in the mud inside of concrete culverts to survive.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM

The Cichlid is in South Florida as well, Rio Grande and a few others.

Nonnative Freshwater Fish

Clown Knifefish is another weird looking fish that is in the waters around here.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 AM

284 posts, read 516,595 times
WE used to catch Peacock bass all the time in Broward canals. Watch out for water snakes.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Those water moccasins are quite aggressive so I heard, never experienced one, hope to avoid them.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Default Fishing Broward Canals

I live on a canal that eventually leads to the ocean, the water tastes fresh, what artificial baits might work best. I have tried my salt water lures and only caught one fish 3 days ago. Maybe the moon up all night is the problem. What bait should I try, I dont care what fish I catch, just like catching.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 PM

Default fishing in a Broward Canal

I am fishing from a rental house that has a dock on the canal and it is fresh but leads to the ocean, what are the best baits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area