U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 902 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm 46, divorced with 2 grown boys. I recently had my position eliminated and considering moving to Sunrise. I have a friend I can stay with. I've spent my entire life in CT and looking for a change but nervous. I haven't found a job yet but do have money coming in. I've spent the last 10 yrs in HR in the contract security business. However I'm open to a new career path. I've never been this far south in Fl and unfamilier with area. I have no idea what travel is like from one area to the next for employment purposes so i don't know were a 30 min. drive would take me going north. I would like to make my cohabitation a short event and move to a 1 bdrm that's animal friendly (thinking a cat or small dog for company), preferrably a private rent (not big on complex living, I like my privacy) in the $500 to $600 range with rm for a small garden. I like quiet areas close to shopping but not in it. Sunrise is a start with an ultimate destination of central or northern areas. I liked St. Augustine. Just the right size for me. Is there anything in my destination area or surrounding that is comparable? I'm not big on night life but do occassionaly go out for a drink and like live music. Not into the crazy scene, more a working class environment where you can go have conversation, share in lifes humor, be safe and make friends. I'm by no means a beach bunny but do enjoy it in the later part of the day. I have a very simple life style and don't require a lot. I'm just looking for a place to start the next chapter of my life and see where it takes me. My ideal place to live would accomodate the above. The few times i've been to Fl. i found people very friendly and easy to talk to. I feel i would fit in providing the environment is right. I realize this is a lot of info but I figured it would help to know a little bit about me to help me. I'm about to make the biggest change in my life and looking for a little guidance ie locales, employment etc. Any info anyone could provide negative or positive would be appreciated. My eyes and ears are open! CT is in the toilet and just waiting for the flush lol. I'm a decision away from packing the truck and hitting the road! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM

153 posts, read 305,833 times
If you liked St. Augustine, I would suggest you try to move there after your cohabitation ceases in Sunrise. Based on what you write, I am confident that you will not enjoy Sunrise at all. If you plan on staying in Broward, I suggest Hollywood, Dania Beach, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano, or Deerfield. These cities offer much of what you want. However, you will never find a one bedroom rental in the price range you are looking for if you choose one of those cities. For that reason, I suggest you keep your mind set on North Florida, where the housing market is less expensive. Otherwise, if you stay in South Florida and only want to pay that number per month, you'll be living in a horrible area.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM

389 posts, read 959,258 times
I agrere. I don't see you getting what you want for that price range and without a job. Many people will require you provide them with your place of employment. Almost no one will rent to someone without income from a job. I sure would not. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area