U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,678 times

Advertisements

I am 26 years old and am moving to the area and was unsure of areas that would be a good place to live. I do not want to be as far west as Pembroke Pines is, as I do like to be somewhat close to the beach. Also, being that I am young, I do want to be somewhat close to the "action." Family-oriented regions aren't what I'm avoiding but I would like to be near a decent bit of bars, restaurants, etc. However, I don't want to end up living in a dangerous or undesirable locale. I have been recommended to avoid alot of the Hollywood area, as it is pretty grimy in certain areas. I also do not know much about the Fort Lauderdale area except that it is a popular vacation spot. Pompano Beach sounds like a nice area but besides there, Pembroke Pines, Fort Lauderdale, and Hollywood, South Florida is an unknown place for me. As much info as possible would be great in helping me decide on place. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM

4,941 posts, read 5,992,389 times
Will you be working? If so where? Traffic is horrible so it makes a difference

Old 09-18-2012, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,471 times
Pompano Beach is in the middle of everything. It's within 10 minutes of downtown Fort Lauderdale, 30 minutes to Miami, and 25 minutes to Delray. Housing is relatively cheap, and the malls, beach, bars, and restaraunts are right there.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM

228 posts, read 671,188 times
Yeah, I'm going to second for Pompano. It's not all bad like some will tell you, and you can find a nice place for good money. It has alot of places to eat and shop, you got the beach. Do some research on the city. See if you like it.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 8,382,637 times
Be careful with Pompano Beach. You MUST live right on the beach or east of US1. Once you go a bit west of US1 it is like being in South Central LA. There's really nowhere to go out in Pompano Beach and you'll find yourself driving to Fort Lauderdale to go out. That drive from east Pompano to downtown Fort Lauderdale takes more like 25-30 minutes contrary to what others posted. Miami is at least 45 minutes away at night and 1 hour during daytime. People often measure only from exit to exit, but don't take into account that it takes 10 minutes getting to/from the exit.

The area with the most "action" is called Las Olas. It is the downtown section of Fort Lauderdale where there are many bars. It is also pretty expensive, so it depends on your budget. You are gonna have to tell us what your budget is to give us a better idea of how to advise. There is an apartment complex called Port Royale on the east side of Fort Lauderdale on US1 that is popular with young people. Its units are cheaper than downtown prices and the crowd is decent.

Your assessment of Hollywood is spot on too. The cool areas of Hollywood are downtown and the beaches. Downtown has a few nice apartment buildings with bars and restaurants you can walk to, but they are pricey and you have vagrants walking the streets. Once you go 1-2 blocks outside of downtown the neighborhoods are rough. I've never been a big fan of Hollywood. Its fun visiting here and there, but not living there in my opinion.

Other better areas for someone single in their 20's to live would be Plantation and Davie which are suburbs about 15 minutes west of Fort Lauderdale. They aren't as far west as Pembroke Pines and housing is cheaper than areas further east. Coral Springs and Weston are also very nice, but are also far west similar to Pembroke Pines. It all depends on your budget. If money isn't a factor, I would chose Las Olas without hesitation.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 09-18-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 AM

153 posts, read 304,631 times
When young people go out, they are going to Las Olas, Himmarashee, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Riverfront, or the Hard Rock. With the exception of the Hard Rock, all of those locations are in Fort Lauderdale. It seems that wherever young people live, they all end up going out in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Your best bet is to figure out where you'll be working, and assess the type of commute you want to have. To me, East Fort Lauderdale is an awesome place to live. Your best bet is to explore Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, and some of the suburban cities. Then you can make your decision.

Most people have no understanding of what South Florida's different cities are like until they visit them.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM

23 posts, read 37,982 times
I would live close to Los Olas in Fort Lauderdale. Close to the beach, great restaurants, boutique shopping and the nearby Himarshee area that caters to 20 something's. Victoria Park offers rental options and generally you want to stay east of Highway 1 but there is also a pocket of awesome rental options close to the Performing Arts Center just east of Highway 1. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM

986 posts, read 3,718,730 times
If the OP's got a good budget, try that Harbor Beach area in the southern tip of Ft. Lauderdale Beach. Great overall, safe, definitely not far and yet not too close to the whole 'action' scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or