Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times

Advertisements

Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
Unfortunately, moving that far north is not an option. What about Coconut Creek area?

Also, concerning Weston, I am not of Hispanic decent and neither is my husband. Will we find this area to be welcoming? Is there enough Americans there for us to socialize with?

To answer your question, MOVE TO WESTON. It is the nicest town in that area that is the best maintained with all A+ rated schools. This is really a no brainer and you will see for yourself. Pembroke pines evolves arounds pines blvd which is one of the busiest roads ever. Drive down Royal Palm Blvd in Weston and you will see exactly why we fell in love. Weston also is home to so many different celebrities. You will see how well the town maintains the streets and the amount of people who are exercising on a daily basis is amazing.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Plantation can be worse than some HOAs in nitpicking zoning rules.
Anywhere near the water is going to add $$$ to insurance costs and restrictions.
Do NOT consider public schools in south Florida for even a second if your kids have functional brains.
Traveling east-west is harder than traveling north-south, traffic and time-wise, and especially during rush hours.

Lets just cut to the chase. If you think you are going to find a WASP enclave like you might find up north, ANYWHERE in south Florida, you won't. Period. Get that out of your head and you'll do much better at finding a place you like. If we had to move back, I'd probably look around Parkland or north Coral Springs.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
You don't socialize with non-Americans? Anyway, I didn't buy in Weston because it really is a bit much that Spanish is spoken everywhere... we wound up in West Davie, which has some great high-end neighborhoods and good schools. I looked in Parkland and while it is beautiful and quiet up there, it's just too far from everything. Plantation has some great areas as well and is central. We didn't choose there because we wanted good public schools but if you don't mind to put your kids in private schools, American Heritage is a good private school in Plantation. Cooper City was disappointing for us... just seemed a bit old and non descript. I didn't look in the Pines but I think there are some decent subdivisions out there... just didn't want to deal with the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjoo View Post
Unfortunately, moving that far north is not an option. What about Coconut Creek area?

Also, concerning Weston, I am not of Hispanic decent and neither is my husband. Will we find this area to be welcoming? Is there enough Americans there for us to socialize with?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
Plantation is far from dicey. There are plenty of higher end developements west of Pine Island, and nice areas east of University as well.

There are also developements on Pine Island ridge (which I think are off Hiatus road) that are extremely nice and higher end-The land is elevated, and there are old growth oak trees. Very easy access and close to Pembroke Pines.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM

30 posts, read 93,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
You don't socialize with non-Americans? Anyway, I didn't buy in Weston because it really is a bit much that Spanish is spoken everywhere... we wound up in West Davie, which has some great high-end neighborhoods and good schools. I looked in Parkland and while it is beautiful and quiet up there, it's just too far from everything. Plantation has some great areas as well and is central. We didn't choose there because we wanted good public schools but if you don't mind to put your kids in private schools, American Heritage is a good private school in Plantation. Cooper City was disappointing for us... just seemed a bit old and non descript. I didn't look in the Pines but I think there are some decent subdivisions out there... just didn't want to deal with the traffic.

Hi thanks for responding. To answer your question, of course we socialize with people of all decents... I am not trying to seem discriminatory, but my concern mainly revolves around the fact that neither of us speak Spanish, and I feel like it may get a bit annoying if we are on the outside of that that's all. I mean my best friend is Columbian for goodness sake

Lastly, I am coming from a suburb of Detroit, MI. Most importantly, I'm just looking for a great area to raise my kids and have a nice family life. Ideally I would like to be close to good schools, nice restaurants, and higher income living, etc.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 36,346 times
[SIZE=3]Bjoo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would ask you to consider the east side, Ft. Lauderdale, Lauderdale by the sea, Sea Ranch lakes etc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sea Ranch Lakes is a gated community (Google Map) and there are plenty of private and A+ schools in the area. Pembroke Pines will be a 30-45 minute drive, but as he drives along the beach (A1A) it is a great way to relieve stress and get ready for the day. There are some really great subdivision that I am sure you and your family will fall in love with, let me know how I can help.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Alex [/SIZE]

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,954 times
Since you have stated what is important to you and your family, I would recommend
that there are several communities within Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Davie and Cooper
City that would match your requirements. Proximity to work and A rated schools, as well
as excellent private and parochial schools would be a good place to start and narrow your criteria.
www.BrowardSchools.com One can search for individual schools and the grades they receive.
I am an experienced realtor who has worked extensively in these areas, and if I can help, please let
me know.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 55,816 times
Check out Southwest Ranches.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Lets just cut to the chase. If you think you are going to find a WASP enclave like you might find up north, ANYWHERE in south Florida, you won't. Period. Get that out of your head and you'll do much better at finding a place you like. Parkland or north Coral Springs.

I'm a former midwesterner myself - this is good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area