U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 AM

23 posts, read 38,574 times

Advertisements

We are looking at renting in the Lake Estates/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea area and wanted feedback from the locals - is this area reasonably safe?

The specific area: between E. Commercial & E. McNab and east of US1/N Federal. The price range we are looking at is $1200 - $1600 for pet-friendly 2/2. Is this reasonable for a nice apartment/condo?
We do not have kids, so schools are not a consideration.

We currently live in Hollywood Hills and our house has been burglarized twice in the past year and my car was stolen out of the driveway about 1 1/2 year ago, so by "reasonably safe" I mean the area is not being slammed by crime the way Hollywood and unfortunately most of Broward County seems to be experiencing.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM

37 posts, read 121,626 times
If it's east of the Intracoastal between Commercial and McNab, it's Lauderdale-By-The-Sea (with the exception of the small Sea Ranch Lakes community/municipality, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're referring to). If it's west of the Intracoastal, it's Fort Lauderdale until just north of Port Royale where it becomes Pompano.

These areas are not nearly as problem-laden as most areas in the county. I would absolutely consider them *relatively safe, with one small notation: Lauderdale-By-The-Sea has many small motels in and around the residential areas which don't necessarily attract the greatest of types: Guests of whom tend not to respect the tranquility of a "small beachside town", if you know what I mean.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,875,028 times
It sounds like the area you are talking about is Fort Lauderdale, not Lauderdale By The Sea. The areas from US1 east to the Intracoastal are very safe. Port Royale is an apartment community there, and there are also a handful of privately owned condo buildings in that area. The areas from US1 west for 5-10 blocks are safe too for the more part. The shopping in that area is also very good. Plenty of restaurants and a Publix.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 AM

222 posts, read 351,052 times
Nolefan's hit it on the head. I live just west of US1 and north of McNab - you are looking at Fort Lauderdale, but it's a very decent area. I have no idea about the pricing, can't help you there. It's about as safe as anywhere you will find in eastern Broward - there are spates of car burglaries (mostly teenagers breaking into unlocked cars or breaking windows at night) - don't leave anything valuable visible. We occasionally have an outbreak of home burglaries as well. The closer you get to dixie and atlantic, the worse the vibe, but still nothing too scary.

I run and my husband runs early in the morning, I don't feel unsafe doing it and the shops and restaurant parking lots are safe. Bayview's a great little street, and Lauderdale by the sea is 3 minutes away and just a cool area to hang out.

I also second Port Royale, it's a very popular place to rent.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM

159 posts, read 329,648 times
Crime is everywhere, but that is one of the better areas of Broward County.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 34,034 times
I have lived in Lauderdale by the Sea for the last 30 years, I do feel safe, and I have left my house way to many time with the doors unlocked and come back home to find everything still there, (Including the wife) LOL!
I do not think you will find a rental in the area for less than $ 2,000 a month.

I also would agree with Port Royal or... Bay Colony ( a gated community)

Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 AM

44 posts, read 78,517 times
now that was funny alexanderkay, real funny. nice to read some threads from people still with a sense of humor, Thanx

Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 AM

157 posts, read 305,980 times
Just avoid areas where you see cars with NY plates or decals indicating a preference for NY sports teams and you'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>