U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 26,576 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about going to school in either Fort Lauderdale or Tampa.... I have read a LOT of negative things about Miami and South Florida, such as crime, run-down buildings, and "no middle class" .... I have been there several times and thought it was a beautiful place but now i'm having second thoughts..... So 1) are the problems mainly in inner-city Miami or do the suburbs suck as well ? .... 2) What are some good/ bad things about Broward County NOT MIAMI .... thanks (:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 PM

18 posts, read 38,135 times
If I were 20 something again no way in heck would I live anywhere from West Palm to Homestead. The Keys - maybe if I were hard core Fisherman or Scuba Diver. Jupiter - Family - Yes. Tampa or Orlando is much better for a young person. Unchecked immigration = crime / poverty / anger / crazy homeless people. Since 1980, South Florida has become the unchecked gateway to America for Latin Americans. No high tech jobs, massive culture clashes from many people and most don't like each other, all of this causes anger and this results in road rage and Hit & Run mecca of USA. Better yet if I was 22 again I would attend college in Northern California like Stanford, Cal, San Jose State, etc. Northern California has the best people in all of America; intelligent, hi tech, passionate, caring, charming and a sense of community not found in Miami - Dade.

Last edited by Retired Pilot; 10-17-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM

18 posts, read 38,135 times
It really depends on where YOU come from. People coming from 3rd world lawless trashy countries like Haiti - Cuba - Colombia then Miami would be a paradise. However, if you grew up in Spruce Creek of PO or Bayhill of Orlando, you will see Miami as a trashy, non english speaking city full of Thugs. I knew a 26 year old NC State Masters degree holder ( Flight management ) Gal from NC relocated to Miami for job at MIA and she was in shock at the horrible attitude, extreme apathy and general selfishness and trashiness mentality of Miami and the people there. Needless to say she convinced her superiors she wanted out asap -- she was gone within 3 months. She now works at a major Terminal in the SW, and happy.

I was laid off and I hate the mentality here. Can't wait to make a move and be around better people.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 AM

10 posts, read 34,786 times
If you're from the Caribbean or was reared here then you're likely to think South Florida is heaven, otherwise you'll eventually grow sick of the people.

Unless you're from New York or New Jersey.

The first thing that'll get you about Broward is the hyper-aggressive drivers, then it's the crappy attitudes that people from certain Caribbean nations have and that's not racist... That's nationalist. One group in particular is particularly snobbish like the French, minus the intelligent and sophisticated culture that would make it slightly tolerable.

The next thing you'll start to notice is that people don't take business obligations as seriously down here as they do in larger northern metros like Chicago, Philadelphia, or New York. (That'll lead to dealing with A LOT of scammers if you're in business.)

If you have enough money you can live as close to the ocean or intracostal as possible, but once you start going in it gets worst before it gets better. Most neighborhoods around I-95 and west of it aren't the most desirable and the people act like hoodrats. You'll have to go west to around Weston, Margate, Coral Springs, Parkland, and Sunrise to get any sense of normalcy, but even then you're surrounded by people who act like like New Yorkers who failed the Regents. The areas are certainly the nicer parts of FLL's metro, but they also have higher costs of living and relatively boring nightlife.

If you're coming from Dallas you might enjoy Miami's scene more than FLL. I've always called it South Florida's parking lot, because it doesn't have the wealth of the Palm Beaches and it's densely populated like Miami (yet "downtown" feels very dated by comparison).

Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM

4,957 posts, read 6,757,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Pilot View Post
If I were 20 something again no way in heck would I live anywhere from West Palm to Homestead. The Keys - maybe if I were hard core Fisherman or Scuba Diver. Jupiter - Family - Yes. Tampa or Orlando is much better for a young person. Unchecked immigration = crime / poverty / anger / crazy homeless people. Since 1980, South Florida has become the unchecked gateway to America for Latin Americans. No high tech jobs, massive culture clashes from many people and most don't like each other, all of this causes anger and this results in road rage and Hit & Run mecca of USA. Better yet if I was 22 again I would attend college in Northern California like Stanford, Cal, San Jose State, etc. Northern California has the best people in all of America; intelligent, hi tech, passionate, caring, charming and a sense of community not found in Miami - Dade.

I agree!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 AM

5 posts, read 26,576 times
Thanks everyone.... It's a shame things are like that, especially people's attitudes .... a tropical atmosphere plus a big city should be an awesome thing, but apparrently it's not.... I like Tampa and Orlando, but once you live in a place as big as Dallas/ Ft Worth it's hard to settle for less

Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM

984 posts, read 4,035,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Pilot View Post
I mostly agree as well; the number of cons far outweighs the number of pros in SoFl, especially here in Dade. The further north you go from Miami, generally the better and more bearable it gets; and, as the fellow poster well said, it only gets actually nice when you're north of WPB, from places like Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter up (great places in my opinion and experience - it feels like another country - America that would be - when compared to most of Dade and SoFl).

I live all the way down in Key Biscayne right now because I simply cannot move too far from Central Dade for now unfortunately and also because it's as secluded and nice - but expensive as hell - as you can get in Miami-Dade; also it's much much less susceptible to the problems and riff-raff that plagues most of SoFl - especially Dade County - as a result.)

Old 10-20-2012, 06:39 PM

652 posts, read 1,558,548 times
I love south Florida. I wish I moved here 10 years earlier.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM

984 posts, read 4,035,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
, commies.
I'm sorry (and please don't take me the wrong way ), but what's that supposed to mean ?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 AM

5 posts, read 14,581 times
Been in south Florida for exactly one year today. This place is miserable in my opinion, I agree 100% what was said above. We are moving to DFW area in a month and can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area