Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM

93 posts, read 175,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
If money is no object and you enjoy the finer things in life, welcome to east Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not going to try to sell you on bait shops, cheap parking, or boring suburban malls. East Ft Lauderdale has waterfront homes and dining, an upscale mall with a Red Door spa, dockage for your yacht, and neighbors who also enjoy the finer things in life.

P.S. by waterfront, I do mean the Atlantic ocean or Intracoastal waterway, not some drainage canal in the western suburbs.

Nice try on Margate and Coconut Creek, you guys.
Moving to South Florida soon too and was thinking about east Ft Lauderdale

I have to commute to Coral Springs and Hollywood, does the commute bring you through some pretty rough neighborhoods? Or can I avoid the bulk of them by avoiding local roads and taking the major highways?

Also, any recommendations on where specifically? I keep hearing Ft Lauderdale Beach and along Las Olas. Tempted to be close to the action (Las Olas) but having lived in the Northeast my whole life, would be neat to be so close to the beach as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspinkrose View Post
Weston is a nice city and well taken care of. Schools are decent also.
LOL, more than decent.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrvao777 View Post
Moving to South Florida soon too and was thinking about east Ft Lauderdale

I have to commute to Coral Springs and Hollywood, does the commute bring you through some pretty rough neighborhoods? Or can I avoid the bulk of them by avoiding local roads and taking the major highways?

Also, any recommendations on where specifically? I keep hearing Ft Lauderdale Beach and along Las Olas. Tempted to be close to the action (Las Olas) but having lived in the Northeast my whole life, would be neat to be so close to the beach as well
Las Olas ends right at the beach

Don't be afraid commuting East/West on local roads. Yes, you will drive through some areas you don't particularly want to live in, but they aren't bad for commuting. All the major boulevards are totally safe.

Currently I am avoiding I-595 as much as possible, so I take local streets all the way to Weston. Sometimes I take Broward Blvd, sometimes Davie Rd, sometimes Commercial Blvd.

Broward DOT last year boasted about how they synchronized all the East/West green lights. And that was true - green street all the way home. However they got a bit out of sync recently... Still not bad.

And the time difference between highway vs local streets isn't bad at all.

Just don't take local streets that have school zones.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
I was just up in Deerfield Beach today and it seems pretty interesting. Not nearly as active or urban as east Fort Lauderdale, but it seems like a more down-to-earth, family-friendly beach area that is walkable and has newer mid-rise condos, also a cute little restaurant and shopping area. West of US1 it did get noticeably less upscale, but not dangerous or sketchy. I'm no expert on Deerfield, but it could work for commuting to Coral Springs and Hollywood, seeing as it only took me 20 minutes on the highway from Hillsboro to Ives Dairy.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
[quote=Bjoo;27032977]Which city would you choose to live in? My husband and I are relocating from Michigan. We just had our first child and we would like to settle in the BEST area that Broward has to offer. We enjoy the finer things in life (shopping, dining, private schools, etc). Which city would give us all of this? Which city would you choose from the list below if money was no object and your looking for the best of everything...

Weston
Plantation
Pembroke Pines

You left out West Sunrise. My husband and I are raising our kids here. We live right near the Sawgrass Mills Mall area. It is a great place to raise children. Lots of things to do. VERY kid oriented, and close to all major highways.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Weston - nice area, one planned sub-division after another. Kind of bland and out in swamp country, but nice nonetheless

Plantation - Also a nice area to raise a child, closer to ft lauderdale than Weston

Davie - Again, a decent place.... but if u like the finer things, skip it. It's boring

Cooper City - Same as Davie

Southwest Ranches - Skip
Hollywood - unless it's by the beach. I'd say no. By the beach? Yes, please!
Wilton manners - a town dominated by the LGBT community. Not exactly a family friendly paradise, but one should be open-minded if choosing to reside there. Otherwise, decent area. The gays love "finer things" so, you should like too.
Pembroke Pines - Boring
Ft. Lauderdale - I mean, where to begin? Money money money will make it nice for you.
Lauderdale-by-the-Sea - Cute beachy town, you'd like it
Lauderhil - SKIP with a capital S. Ghetto with a capital G... no but seriously, it's. just. awful.

Have u considered Coral Springs? Or Coconut Creek?
Northwest Lauderhill has houses in the 500K+ range and it's a good central location. Not ghetto at all. Check this house out An Unaddressed Lauderhill, FL 33319 New Home for Sale - MLS #F1199708 - Realtor.com® I'd say that's a good location for someone whose middle class/upper middle class and appreciates having a diverse neighborhood. Lots of Black Caribbean professionals live in this area now although it was once all Jewish.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Northwest Lauderhill has houses in the 500K+ range and it's a good central location. Not ghetto at all. Check this house out An Unaddressed Lauderhill, FL 33319 New Home for Sale - MLS #F1199708 - Realtor.com® I'd say that's a good location for someone whose middle class/upper middle class and appreciates having a diverse neighborhood. Lots of Black Caribbean professionals live in this area now although it was once all Jewish.
I always say Lauderhill only has one truly bad part, which is the 56th Ave area going between 15th Street and Oakland Park Blvd. There are also some other pockets near 441 that aren't so good with a high concentration of rentals. That section of Lauderhill you are referring to is very nice, and most of Lauderhill is just working class neighborhoods with fairly well kept homes and an average/below average level of crime. Basically, any section of Lauderhill that has mostly homeowners is nothing to be scared of, and if "deepside" were taken out of the equation, Lauderhill probably wouldn't have any higher of a crime rate than Sunrise or Plantation. I wouldn't call Lauderhill the greatest place overall but it does get somewhat of an unfair rep.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM

18 posts, read 28,859 times
I'm partial to Lauderdale By The Sea, but if you are looking for a younger vibe, then Las Olas would be my recommendation. Ciao

Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I always say Lauderhill only has one truly bad part, which is the 56th Ave area going between 15th Street and Oakland Park Blvd. There are also some other pockets near 441 that aren't so good with a high concentration of rentals. That section of Lauderhill you are referring to is very nice, and most of Lauderhill is just working class neighborhoods with fairly well kept homes and an average/below average level of crime. Basically, any section of Lauderhill that has mostly homeowners is nothing to be scared of, and if "deepside" were taken out of the equation, Lauderhill probably wouldn't have any higher of a crime rate than Sunrise or Plantation. I wouldn't call Lauderhill the greatest place overall but it does get somewhat of an unfair rep.
I recently attended my neighborhood association meeting and Broward County Commissioner Holness was there that night. He mentioned that Lauderhill is the #2 city in Broward county with highest amount of section 8 housing, the city of Fort Lauderdale is #1. The problem lies in the city of Lauderhill having no control over the section 8 being put here, there's no section 8 housing authority in Lauderhill. The homeowners at the association meeting constantly complain about bad section 8 neighbors. This seems to be the #1 problem we see in the city and our neighborhood, problems coming from bad section 8 tenants. We need more homeowners that care about the community in Lauderhill to progress as a city.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I recently attended my neighborhood association meeting and Broward County Commissioner Holness was there that night. He mentioned that Lauderhill is the #2 city in Broward county with highest amount of section 8 housing, the city of Fort Lauderdale is #1. The problem lies in the city of Lauderhill having no control over the section 8 being put here, there's no section 8 housing authority in Lauderhill. The homeowners at the association meeting constantly complain about bad section 8 neighbors. This seems to be the #1 problem we see in the city and our neighborhood, problems coming from bad section 8 tenants. We need more homeowners that care about the community in Lauderhill to progress as a city.
I agree with this. Any street that has mostly homeowners tends to be fine. An overbearing amount of section 8 housing is what ruined the 56th Ave area and what is starting to ruin some areas near 441.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area