Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM

26 posts, read 161,318 times

Advertisements

For many, many months Davie Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale between 95 and State Road 7/441 has been torn up with water main and sewer line construction. I am sure the city selected the lowest bid contractor for the job. Many of the small business owners and restaurants have struggled to survive. No compensation from the city, "the city will not compensate as long as there is access to the property". Construction was delayed because of ground water contamination, broken water lines and broken junction boxes. The city ,the contractor and management quite often responded to the complaints "with a project of this magnitude, you have to expect disruption". Yes, we probably should have been warned of the many months, merchants should have been better informed about the delays and the fact that there would be no compensation.

With all of that said, construction will be completed on October 20, the street will be reopened in both directions. Merchants and neighborhood civic associations are planning a grand reopening celebration on November 10. There is Davie Blvd website established on which any business on Davie Boulevard can register their business, type of business and to establish a business directory for the area.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:59 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs View Post
For many, many months Davie Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale between 95 and State Road 7/441 has been torn up with water main and sewer line construction. I am sure the city selected the lowest bid contractor for the job. Many of the small business owners and restaurants have struggled to survive. No compensation from the city, "the city will not compensate as long as there is access to the property". Construction was delayed because of ground water contamination, broken water lines and broken junction boxes. The city ,the contractor and management quite often responded to the complaints "with a project of this magnitude, you have to expect disruption". Yes, we probably should have been warned of the many months, merchants should have been better informed about the delays and the fact that there would be no compensation.

With all of that said, construction will be completed on October 20, the street will be reopened in both directions. Merchants and neighborhood civic associations are planning a grand reopening celebration on November 10. There is Davie Blvd website established on which any business on Davie Boulevard can register their business, type of business and to establish a business directory for the area.
I was at the meeting several years ago when this was being discussed. I don't think the city has much to do with it, it is is a state road. I remember the city trying to get to bid in the job and the guys from Tallahassee almost laughing. They said the city could not do it. Having said that the job sure looks like it is taking like twice as long as they thought. The part to the east of the bridge won't be done for maybe another year.
Man, they really bulldozed everything over there. I wonder what all they plan on building along the road. Didn't they even tear down the Publix?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 161,318 times
Default Davie Boulevard Fort Lauderdale

The segment of Davie Boulevard which I am referencing is west of 95 to 441. The sewer/water main construction will be finished on October 20. The roadway should have all lanes opened without any traffic barriers by the end of the month. This same segment will also have new medians and traffic signals in 2008 and this is a FDOT contract.

However, we are having a Davie Boulevard Merchants and reopening celebration on November 10. Publix has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. Publix will reopen before the end of the year and may even reopen in time for Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area