Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM

47 posts, read 169,580 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I need to relocate to Florida because of my Job, and I have the opportunity to work/live in Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami..

However, In trying to do all my research online, I am really getting overwhelmed, and have not found any type of answers to help me out...Finding an apartment online, is just not fun, and If an apartment complex seems nice, based on pictures, I am told the areas are NOT

I am a single Female, in my mid 30's, and know absolutely no one there. SO, for me, safety is a must.

Commuting will not matter, although I hear it's crazy...but I was in Orlando for a month, and I understand what "Crazy" means... lol so, as long as I feel safe at home, and my surroundings, I don't mind the commute.. Plus there is a possibility of me being able to do some work from home as well..

I am actually looking for a place that is pretty quite, like not touristy, however I LOVE, love, love the beach, so touristy I guess will be ok, in the meantime, and would love to be with-in walking distance of the beach.

Mostly I am looking for some sort of place where I would feel safe walking to the grocery store, or the bank, or shopping, or just an outing during the day.

I hear that Las Olas in Ft Lauderdale is a nice area, and In Miami, Coral Gables... Anyone agree or have any advice on these places or others?

I am single, however not interested in the night life, or the bar scene, but will possibly go out once in a blue moon to a nice restaurant, or something like that. I am just very quite, and resserved, and stay to my self. PLUS, those days are over... for me anyways lol

I am picturing a perfect little Coastal town, like in the movies you know, LOL, BUT reality sinks in and I am wondering if that might even exist..

I don't mind the weather, in fact, I LOVE the heat

Does anyone know of any web sites to go to other than "FOR RENT.com" I tried contacting the Chamber of Commerce for some help on searching for apartment/homes for RENT, of course No response

For now, I need to rent for at least 6 months to a year, to give me the chance to see if this is where I would like to stay permanently, or for a while anyway's, so renting it is.... for now!

Please any advice.. Small towns in Washington do not compare to small towns in Florida, but I am ready for a change! A challange is always good in life, and with tons of positivity, and good people around me, I know it will make my move that much easier.

Maybe just a little advice on where to even begin.. I thought A cross country move would not be that difficult to plan... BUT.. Boy oh Boy was I wrong I have a few months to plan, but still.. where to begin

Please and thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM

207 posts, read 614,234 times
I am a mid-western girl originally. One of my favorite beach towns is Lauderdale By the Sea. You may find older residents but I have not heard of any issues there. It is definitely not the "scene". But cute shops, a couple nice restaurants, little "up north feeling" in So Flo. If not the beach, I can not help you with Miami, I am a Broward Girl, I like parts of Plantation, Sunrise, and Davie. There is no best way to pick your "city" until you do a little sampling. That is what we did, we moved from Coral Springs to Plantation and ended up in Sunrise. It is a matter of finding your fit, but hopefully I have been of some help. I am here if you have any more questions! Good luck!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Thank you happymccamper, but how do I know what areas to choose?? I don't have time off to come down, sadly.. just all the research I can possibly do online...

In reading othere peoples answers for similiar stories, they say "stay North of this, or West of this" very confusing...

THANKS AGAIN

Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
+1 for Lauderdale by the Sea. It is pretty small, so you don't need to worry about an area to choose. Lauderdale by the Sea is the area. It is on the beach, a very nice beach at that. It is quiet. It is next door to Fort Lauderdale.

Where exactly are you going to work?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
The Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale is a safe nice area and not far from the beach. If you do decide to go to Miami then the Turnberry area of North Miami is also nice. 33301 zip code covers the Las Olas area, so HERE are some listings of rentals in that area if you want to get an idea of pricing.

I have found that Miami has become more and more Spanish speaking over the years, so if you do not speak or understand Spanish, then you might prefer Broward County which also has many Spanish speaking people but not anywhere to the extent Miami does. I got lost in Miami once and could not find anyone to give me directions or even speak to me in English, so a GPS might be a must to have.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM

207 posts, read 614,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy1011 View Post
Thank you happymccamper, but how do I know what areas to choose?? I don't have time off to come down, sadly.. just all the research I can possibly do online...

In reading othere peoples answers for similiar stories, they say "stay North of this, or West of this" very confusing...

THANKS AGAIN
I spent a lot of time on here asking a lot of questions! Then whatever area sounded right for my family I began to heavily research. Google maps helps because you can see arial surrounding pics. If you have a certain complex or intersection you are interested post it on here. Chances are someone will know something and give you feedback. You may want to do a short term lease in one of the areas suggested. You will not really know where to set up shop till you are here for a bit. Many people on here suggested we live in Coral Springs and it was nice, safe, but not "home" for us. So after a year of renting we tried another part of Broward. We did not buy home for the 1st 3 years of living here. Keep researching! Keep posting! You will find your new place!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
I also would suggest you look at Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. The beach that is near the Las Olas area is very touristy. You are in the middle of action there -- Las Olas will be hosting a big Orange Bowl bash -- so if you like your night life in small, measured doses, I don't think you'd enjoy that area as much as others.

Another beautiful area that is quiet, but near nice restaurants and is close to shopping is Hillsborough Mile (the north end of Broward County -- north of Ft. Lauderdale). I had a client who lived in one of the co ops and it was so pretty and peaceful. She could open her door, walk about 200 or so yards, and was right on the beach. The zip is 33062. You didn't mention a budget in your email -- the rentals are between $2k and $3k a month.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymccamper View Post
I spent a lot of time on here asking a lot of questions! Then whatever area sounded right for my family I began to heavily research. Google maps helps because you can see arial surrounding pics. If you have a certain complex or intersection you are interested post it on here. Chances are someone will know something and give you feedback. You may want to do a short term lease in one of the areas suggested. You will not really know where to set up shop till you are here for a bit. Many people on here suggested we live in Coral Springs and it was nice, safe, but not "home" for us. So after a year of renting we tried another part of Broward. We did not buy home for the 1st 3 years of living here. Keep researching! Keep posting! You will find your new place!
Good point about Google maps. I would also suggest Google street view. You can virtually drive along local roads and see what the areas look like.

And if you gravitate toward Miami, check out Sunny Isles and Aventura.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM

OH WOW... Thank You all so much for the great advice! The Google Maps/Streets is kinda cool.. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,229 times
Take a look at this map to get some idea of the relative safety/desirability of neighborhoods in Miami-Dade:

http://tinyurl.com/2btpcf2

I'm not aware of a similar map for Broward.

It may help if you told us where approx you'll be working. Even if you don't mind commuting, you can easily end up with a 2-hour commute each way if you don't allow for it. Also, about how much rent/month are you planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area