Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM

399 posts, read 725,569 times

Advertisements

That's some crap. Same thing as when they changed the name of Dade County to "Miami-Dade" County in 1997 (I was actually in town when they had that election, setting things up for my move the following year, but I didn't know about it, and obviously could not have voted in the election if I did. I wonder if my father voted for it (he was living in Dade County at the time))

IIRC, the excuse back then was that Dade County officials would go out of town on business and people wouldn't know where they were from, so they changed it b/c "everyone's heard of Miami". That may be true, but you don't see Cook County officials wanting to change the name to "Chicago-Cook County"

So, I don't think that will fly. Unlike the Dade election, I am a resident of Broward County, and if it comes to that, I for sure will vote against it, and I can probably convince my mom to do the same.

A previous poster mentioned changing the license plates; as it turns out, keeping track of license plate numbers is a hobby of mine, and I think Broward County may have already opted out of showing the county name on their tags (as Dade County did back in the 90s, vene before they changed the name to Miami-Dade). IIRC, Dade did so, b/c Dade County residents would be driving in northern Florida and the redneck law enforcement officers up there would profile them, thinking they were running drugs. So now a Dade plate says "Sunshine State", which is also on the plate when you register a car in Florida for the first time (not including if you bring a car from out of state and trade in the tag for a Florida one). So the local yokels don't know if it's a Dade plate, or one of their own residents with a newly registered car I haven't seen any new Broward plates in awhile (would be in the format ### P** (### being numbers and ** being any letter except "O". I've seen Palm Beach and Monroe County "P" tags. Guess I'll find out later this year, as I think I have to get a new tag this year (been 5 years since the last one), unless they've stopped that as well, I've been seeing tags going back to 2004, which should have been gone by now...

Anyonw who knows anything about Florida license plates, please feel free to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM

389 posts, read 1,081,902 times
Transit, I think the person you were reffering to was talking about the new license plate design, not anout showing the county name. See below:

Florida Drivers, Meet Your New License Plate « CBS Miami

Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,666,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
That's some crap. Same thing as when they changed the name of Dade County to "Miami-Dade" County in 1997 (I was actually in town when they had that election, setting things up for my move the following year, but I didn't know about it, and obviously could not have voted in the election if I did. I wonder if my father voted for it (he was living in Dade County at the time))

IIRC, the excuse back then was that Dade County officials would go out of town on business and people wouldn't know where they were from, so they changed it b/c "everyone's heard of Miami". That may be true, but you don't see Cook County officials wanting to change the name to "Chicago-Cook County"

So, I don't think that will fly. Unlike the Dade election, I am a resident of Broward County, and if it comes to that, I for sure will vote against it, and I can probably convince my mom to do the same.

A previous poster mentioned changing the license plates; as it turns out, keeping track of license plate numbers is a hobby of mine, and I think Broward County may have already opted out of showing the county name on their tags (as Dade County did back in the 90s, vene before they changed the name to Miami-Dade). IIRC, Dade did so, b/c Dade County residents would be driving in northern Florida and the redneck law enforcement officers up there would profile them, thinking they were running drugs. So now a Dade plate says "Sunshine State", which is also on the plate when you register a car in Florida for the first time (not including if you bring a car from out of state and trade in the tag for a Florida one). So the local yokels don't know if it's a Dade plate, or one of their own residents with a newly registered car I haven't seen any new Broward plates in awhile (would be in the format ### P** (### being numbers and ** being any letter except "O". I've seen Palm Beach and Monroe County "P" tags. Guess I'll find out later this year, as I think I have to get a new tag this year (been 5 years since the last one), unless they've stopped that as well, I've been seeing tags going back to 2004, which should have been gone by now...

Anyonw who knows anything about Florida license plates, please feel free to chime in.
This past August, I got a new plate... and sure enough..it says "Broward" on it. . . so they're still doing it.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM

142 posts, read 438,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post

I just moved to Broward, from out of state. Both my husband and myself have plates that say "myflorida.com" on the top and "sunshine state" on the bottom.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,123,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingHome View Post
I just moved to Broward, from out of state. Both my husband and myself have plates that say "myflorida.com" on the top and "sunshine state" on the bottom.
Me too. I moved this summer and was expecting a license plate that said Broward, but mine says Sunshine State too.

And LOL about Miami-Dade. The first time I heard that was after I moved here. Before if you asked me where Miami was, I would have said Dade county. Apparently that one wasn't well marketed to the entire country.

Maybe the county can have two names like the streets that have at least two names around here. That was seriously confusing when I first got here. My gps would say turn on 441 and I would be sitting there at SR7 just knowing for sure that was where I needed to turn. Then I will get to continue to call it Broward which, to me, sounds much better.

Last edited by Fiona13; 01-12-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM

38 posts, read 53,404 times
How about "Fort Lauderdale-Broward"?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:26 PM

874 posts, read 896,587 times
When you consider the cost of these changes, it's insane to even discuss this. If you want to vote on it, put the price tag on the ballot.... and it will be the most one sided vote ever. Most people in Miami still refer to the county as Dade... and I have my doubts that they really have any easier time doing their little marketing efforts when they put Miami-Dade on their business cards.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:52 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,952,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
When you consider the cost of these changes, it's insane to even discuss this. If you want to vote on it, put the price tag on the ballot.... and it will be the most one sided vote ever. Most people in Miami still refer to the county as Dade... and I have my doubts that they really have any easier time doing their little marketing efforts when they put Miami-Dade on their business cards.
Not really. Most of us got used to saying Miami-Dade. I rarely see people refer to this county as "Dade"

I thought the change was stupid at first but it makes more sense now. We also have "Dade city" here in Florida. Some small town In NE Tampa Bay close to Zephyrhills

Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,622,325 times
Everyone I've ever met refers to Miami-Dade as "Dade" - nobody calls it "Miami Dade". You will get people calling it Miami, but a lot of people call all of south Florida "Miami" or they refer to Broward as "Fort Lauderdale".

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,952,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Everyone I've ever met refers to Miami-Dade as "Dade" - nobody calls it "Miami Dade". You will get people calling it Miami, but a lot of people call all of south Florida "Miami" or they refer to Broward as "Fort Lauderdale".
Broward as Ft Lauderdale? No way. Maybe someone from Hialeah or Homestead who has never crossed the county line would say that. I doubt people in Broward would say such thing.

I always hear Miami-Dade. The only person I know that still calls it "Dade" is Mr 305, Pitbull."Dale!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area