U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM

30 posts, read 81,985 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to relocate to South Florida, and have pretty much narrowed our home search to Weston and Parkland. We currently have one child, and education is of the UTMOST importance to us.

In both cities, what are the BEST private and public school options? Also if you can explain your reason for your choices that would be very helpful. TIA!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

142 posts, read 381,175 times
Have you visited the website: greatschools dot com? Or maybe it's dot org. Either way, that's how we narrowed down our search and settled on Weston. Although Parkland was not an option as my husband's new job was in North Miami and tr commute from Weston was enough for our family. Parkland was just too far.

Just keep in mind that test scores are just that, test scores. Many complain about teaching to the test and that's the only concern. My son is only in Kindergarden ad while I can see some teaching to the test already in things that come home, so far it makes sense. For example, a worksheet has a picture of a snow scene and it has 4 bubble choices, winter, spring, summer, fall and they fill in the bubble for winter. Or there are 14 balls as the bubble choices are the numbers 12, 13, 14, 15. So, it's obviously still teaching them info, but also teaching them young how to take a "test". It appears that this is maybe 5 minutes of their day! His teacher is also extremely animated and fun. She cooks with them every Friday. They do science projects, math fun, they are reading and enjoying it. We get homework, but it's a packet with one sheet of site words every Monday to practice and bring back the following Monday. It's not busy work for home work. Our teacher really gets the kids involved and moving. Using their own bodies to learn, not just sitting at the desk. Example, stand up, vertical, lay down, horizontal. Not just draw a line this way or this way. They have art, library, PE, science and music specials, in addition to their regular class time.

We've only been here since October, but the private school in another state that we moved from was not like this and I'm very impressed so far. Granted its only been 3 months. My son loves his school and his teachers and I'm extremely impressed with how much they do in a shorter school day than where we were before.

I hope that's helpful, feel free to ask more!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

142 posts, read 381,175 times
Oh and I guess I really didn't answer your question. But I guess that's because no school is Weston is bad. Obviously I prefer ours, but I have no experience in others, so for me to say ours is best is based on nothing other than my opinion. Based on test scores, I believe the charter school, Imagine is the best. By a little. Then the other public schools, are all A rated, but if I remember correctly, Everglades was slightly higher than the others, shortly shortly followed by Manatee Bay and Gator Run, as in a percent or two different. But like I said, all A rated. We picked Everglades based on the area of town being closest to hoping on the interstate and my husband going down south and because the test scores were a slight bit more and reviews of the school and principal were great online. That's all we had to go by and we have nothing but great things to say so far.

I have no experience with private other than the private school at my church. And people love it, but I know little to nothing about the school, other than a friend saying their class size was 12! (thats exciting!). But my child is in public, so I can't really speak for the private schools, I never researched them. Coming from an area of private being the only good option, we specifically targeted Weston, knowing public was a good option.

Oh and class size was something I was worried about coming from my son's private school of a class of 15, and our town had public school classes of 25 to sometimes more. (A friend's son had a combo class, so 2 teachers, but 45 children...in one class). I had read that Broward has an initiative to lower class sizes, I thought I read the target size was 16, and a classmate said (I don't have hard fact on this) that schools are fined for over 18 children in a class. Anyway, my son's kindergarten class, he was #18, we arrived in October. Sometime in December a child left and now in January, we got another one so, still 18.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,524,754 times
I am sorry, I am not too familiar with the Parkland schools.

But having lived in Weston for 12 years, I can say that all Weston schools are good (and have been this way the whole time). To me, Weston is a very unique place where mostly everything is in tip-top shape.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM

166 posts, read 348,934 times
Both cities have very good schools, neighborhoods and have led Broward county in property values for many years. Having lived in Parkland for 25 years and raised two gifted boys from kindergarten to college, I would say that you can't beat Parkland public schools. Our oldest son was salutatorian and got into all schools he applied to. Forbes rated Parkland schools #1 in the US for bang for the real estate buck. My wife has taught APUSH in the Parkland high school since its inception, runs the NHS program, brain brawl team, etc. She spends our Christmas holiday writing recommendation letters to all the Ivy League schools for her students. I can give you one more close and personal perception. One of the teachers from Weston came to Parkland this year and decided to have his child transfer to the Parkland HS, for many reasons. Parkland has one private school Mary Help Of Christian, not sure how many grades they have but you can Google. North Broward Prepatory is about 15 minutes east of Parkland.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM

28 posts, read 157,634 times
I live in Weston and the schools are quite good compared to other public schools! It boils down to what your preference is. I have my son in the Nova University school and even though I find myself living like a college student (I am single) sometimes due to the tuition price, I think it is a GREAT investment for my son because like you Education is paramount or me. As one of the posters said check out greatschools you will get a lot of good information.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,779 times
I highly recommend North Broward Prep in Coconut Creek - just a few minutes from Parkland. Not sure of the age of your child but, NBP goes from pre-K through 12. I believe they are holding an Open House on Sunday, January 27th. Well worth checking out if you are serious about education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area