Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

I work born in L.A and lived in South Florida(Fort Lauderdale) when I was really young. I have family there and visited occasional.

I am considering a move to Fort Lauderdale soon. L.A is overpriced and very expensive to live there, and seems to be declining. It's also pretty dirty versus South Florida.

Are there any people that lived in L.A most of their lives that moved to Florida.

I know it is different to visit a place versus living there.

How do you feel about living in Fort Lauderdale? Do you miss L.A at all?

Do you think the city is better managed than L.A ? When you call for city services for example are they rude to you like it seems they are in L.A 80% of the time. Does it take the city forever to resolve what should be simple issues? Do you get the excuse of "Budget cuts..we are understaffed..thats going to take months to fix" ?

I know there are a lot of people in Fort Lauderdale from NY and New Jersey , but I don't know how many there are from L.A

I can't think of too many things i'd miss...maybe all the different food options ...although the South Florida food scene seems to be getting better.

I would most likely be living on the Galt Mile .

Last edited by jm1982; 02-01-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Nobody?...

Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
I'm not from L.A., but can tell you lots of Californians are moving to South FL in the past 5 years due to the cost of living. South FL is the closest thing you can find to an L.A. lifestyle on the East Coast. Californians are moving here for the same reasons New Yorkers moved here in the 70's and 80's. To get away from the traffic, crime, and high cost of living.

I think you're going to find many of the same problems here as you had in L.A. Although traffic and cost of living are lower here, you will find things trending towards becoming worse and worse, similar to L.A. Florida is just a different state though. The government sucks here and is really a joke. I doubt you're going to be impressed by government here. Budget cuts are a part of our culture.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
I moved here from L.A. in '92 for the same reasons you cited. I lived there after college for four years. I went back to So. Cal. to visit for the first time last summer.

California has friendlier, more intelligent poeple (in general) than this area. They seem to be a little more aware of the world beyond their immediate area. Traffic there may be horrendous but the drivers are much better. There is more to do. The weather can't be beat, especially compared to Florida in the summer.

Broward County, despite relatively shorter driving distances, manages to make the driving experience far more complicated (bad drivers, lights timed improperly, constant road construction). People here are not as friendly, but city, county and state personnel are more helpful. It is easier to get things done (things like your driver's license, auto registration, business matters) I don't know about the City of Fort Lauderdale itself, but the two cities I've lived in, Plantation and Coral Springs, have always been responsive and prompt in dealing with issues pertaining to them. Everybody is facing budget shortfalls, but not as bad as So. Cal. (so far!). There is not as much to do here, but what we have is more affordable. The weather is nice much of the year. I find the people in the coastal area (Galt, Fort Lauderdale itself, ) to be more like Californians (chattier, easy-going) compared to the western suburbs so that can afffect how you see things here.

To me, life is better in California but easier here, if that makes sense. If money were no concern, I'd choose L.A. (actually Santa Monica, Malibu or Calabasas) but since it is, this area is not a bad second.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 PM

Thank you both for your responses !

It seems like the South FL lifestyle is a lot more laid back than L.A..perhaps because of all the retired people..especially on the Galt.

Also of course it's always different living somewhere versus visiting...

That's good to hear city seems to respond to issues pretty quick.

I did notice some pretty crazy drivers while there on my last trip

Like people making a turn from the far left lane to make a right turn...without signaling! I don't think i've seen that even in L.A!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thank you both for your responses !

It seems like the South FL lifestyle is a lot more laid back than L.A..perhaps because of all the retired people..especially on the Galt.

Also of course it's always different living somewhere versus visiting...

That's good to hear city seems to respond to issues pretty quick.

I did notice some pretty crazy drivers while there on my last trip

Like people making a turn from the far left lane to make a right turn...without signaling! I don't think i've seen that even in L.A!
Are there any particular reasons why you've set your sights on the Galt?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM

I have family there on the Galt that has lived there since I was little , and I might be able to live in a property they own for a while...which is another big reason!

If not for that i'd probably be looking at other areas. Although I really don't know what those areas would be.

Galt seems to be pretty safe, clean and there are lots of conveniences , look markets, banks, etc.

I'm not opposed to looking into other areas though....but I'd most likely move to the Galt first.

Do you have any recommendations for areas?

I wanted to check out Hollywood beach area and some other areas. From what it sounds like they have a younger feel...but I think I actually might prefer living around older people in a lot of ways even though im in my early 30s..
I'm not really that young anymore! ...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
I moved here from L.A. in '92 for the same reasons you cited. I lived there after college for four years. I went back to So. Cal. to visit for the first time last summer.

California has friendlier, more intelligent poeple (in general) than this area. They seem to be a little more aware of the world beyond their immediate area. Traffic there may be horrendous but the drivers are much better. There is more to do. The weather can't be beat, especially compared to Florida in the summer.

Broward County, despite relatively shorter driving distances, manages to make the driving experience far more complicated (bad drivers, lights timed improperly, constant road construction). People here are not as friendly, but city, county and state personnel are more helpful. It is easier to get things done (things like your driver's license, auto registration, business matters) I don't know about the City of Fort Lauderdale itself, but the two cities I've lived in, Plantation and Coral Springs, have always been responsive and prompt in dealing with issues pertaining to them. Everybody is facing budget shortfalls, but not as bad as So. Cal. (so far!). There is not as much to do here, but what we have is more affordable. The weather is nice much of the year. I find the people in the coastal area (Galt, Fort Lauderdale itself, ) to be more like Californians (chattier, easy-going) compared to the western suburbs so that can afffect how you see things here.

To me, life is better in California but easier here, if that makes sense. If money were no concern, I'd choose L.A. (actually Santa Monica, Malibu or Calabasas) but since it is, this area is not a bad second.
I could not agree more with you on your post. I lived in L.A for 8 years and I've been here for 4 and if It wouldn't be because money issues and because I am trying to finish school; I would of probably move back to L.A. As you I also feel that people is more rude here, bad drivers, like you said, in a short distance make it more aggravating and of course weather, although winter it's nice here in Florida, so much heat and rain could be quite annoying.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 PM

242 posts, read 346,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSR82 View Post
people are rude here, bad drivers and of course weather, so much heat and rain can be quite annoying.
Blame the rude people on the displaced Northerners and jaded immigrants who moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Nativos like myself moved north many moons ago. I am the only nativo in my hood. L.A. and around CA you have better people, nicer people. South Florida today, and the last 20 years is synonymous with rude and crude people unfortunately. I don't like it either but I must live with it or move, and I am seriously thinking about moving.

I get so tired of tourists, horrid rude drivers, bad mannered apathetic people, self entitled third world immigrants, pushy North-easterners, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Blame the rude people on the displaced Northerners and jaded immigrants who moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Nativos like myself moved north many moons ago. I am the only nativo in my hood. L.A. and around CA you have better people, nicer people. South Florida today, and the last 20 years is synonymous with rude and crude people unfortunately. I don't like it either but I must live with it or move, and I am seriously thinking about moving.

I get so tired of tourists, horrid rude drivers, bad mannered apathetic people, self entitled third world immigrants, pushy North-easterners, etc.
So when are you going to do something about hating the place you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area