Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 24,448 times

Advertisements

I have been planning a move to Ft. Lauderdale for 4 months. I am planning to move on April 1st. I am working on my job search but it is difficult to do from here. I have applied to all of the jobs available that I can find. Now I am just "cold calling" places to see if they need help. I need to confirm that I'm moving out with my landlord in the next 2 weeks. This puts me in a tough position. I do have a friend renting me a condo in Lauderdale so that's not an issue. I am planning on flying down in a few weeks to hopefully interview. Am I being hasty moving with out a solid lead? I do have a good job here but I'm so sick of winters, having nothing to do and paying crazy high rent! I think I could land something if I am down there but I won't have more then a few weeks before I am out of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,412,810 times
What will your monthly overhead be?
Do you have at least enough savings to cover 6 months?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,294,510 times
I think it would be wise to stay where you are for the time being. You have a good job currently. When a position opens up in Ft Lauderdale and you know it is serious then move down there. Being overly flighty and impulsive in this economy is foolish. I know it is cold up in Boston and The balmy air of south Florida beckons, but you will feel a lot better going down there when you are more financially secure.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM

745 posts, read 1,577,414 times
save up a little more money than "in just a few weeks I'll be out of cash." Get a few 1000 saved up. No you don't need 20k to move like some here would suggest, especially if you have a place to stay already. And don't ever listen to people who say "don't move until you have a job." Otherwise, people would never move. The people who DO move with a job lined up I feel are in the minority. Follow your heart, research research research, save some money, not OODLES, but some realistically to get you by for a few MONTHS (not 1 year like some would suggest). When you get to the area, do your part and look heavily for a job. Not one application a week, but a few a day. Be assertive.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,041,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What will your monthly overhead be?
Do you have at least enough savings to cover 6 months?
He said he only had a couple of weeks of savings.

To the OP, don't move until you either have a job or six months of savings. I have a great resume, a four year degree, a lot of experience in my field, and it took me a year to get a good job.

I bartended when I first moved here and made fantastic money. If you don't mind the service industry, I'd have a two month cushion and move down.

Can you pay your friend some rent and use the address and keep in as a vacation pad until you move down?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,845,523 times
How can you move anywhere with just a few weeks cash reserves?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,652,248 times
Look, I know you're going through a blizzard right now (im actually packing my beach bag to hit the beach as I type this)....and u wanna get out of the Boston winters, but to move down without a job seems a bit...... crazy if u ask me.

U need to have a few thousand saved up at least to hold u off for 3 months. I mean I dont think the job market down in lauderdale is better than it is in Boston area. In fact, Boston area econ. is so much more stable and better. Lauderdale and south Fla in general is kinda crap right now as far as jobs go.

but, at the same time. I feel ur pain. I understand this is prob a dream for u....to up and leave the cold northeast and head somewhere sunny, but u wouldn't want to have this new sunny place turn into a personal hell for you because u have no money, no support, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,774,592 times
All i needed to read was your topic header to have the answer. Yes, you should wait to have a new job before moving. I just met up with a guy at a local store here in MN that was telling me how he had a couple of friends having difficulty finding work in SFL. The job market there can be challenging (it sucks).

Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 PM

18 posts, read 24,448 times
Ok. So I will have about $5,000-$8,000 when I move on 4/1. My fiance and I are going to be trying to work asap. We will have about $3000 a month in bills so I guess I was off when I said a few weeks of money. I am renting a condo from a close friend. If I really can't find work doing what I do I have a lot of experience waiting tables. Worst case I have a buddy on the West Coast (Sarasota) that ownes a company and will give me a job and a place to stay any time. I used to work with him about 8 years ago and he ended up buying the business. I moved down when I was in my early 20's with almost no money and made it work. I think we should be alright. I am flying down if a few weeks to try and lock something down. After this storm I'm done. I had to leave my house today and stay with family because we had no power or heat. We have a parrot and two dogs and we are all sleeping in my uncles livingroom. I know its a risk but sometimes we need to take them to better our lives.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,641,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPitbull View Post
I have been planning a move to Ft. Lauderdale for 4 months. I am planning to move on April 1st. I am working on my job search but it is difficult to do from here. I have applied to all of the jobs available that I can find. Now I am just "cold calling" places to see if they need help. I need to confirm that I'm moving out with my landlord in the next 2 weeks. This puts me in a tough position. I do have a friend renting me a condo in Lauderdale so that's not an issue. I am planning on flying down in a few weeks to hopefully interview. Am I being hasty moving with out a solid lead? I do have a good job here but I'm so sick of winters, having nothing to do and paying crazy high rent! I think I could land something if I am down there but I won't have more then a few weeks before I am out of cash.

Why are you picking FT. Lauderdale to move to?
Why not just pitch a tent in the parking lot of South of the Border?
Really, not trying to be divisive, just pragmatically realistic.
I would just want you to ask yourself why?
Spring break? Party town? Sun and beaches? The reality of South Florida is sooooo much different than the perception, there is a high percentage of a chance you will wind up like everyone else who moves to S. FL based on its TV reputation. You will leave broke and depressed thinking the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 is the greatest thing you have ever seen.

Please, Please PLEASE--- DO NOT MAKE THIS MOVE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CONTRACT FOR A JOB THAT CAN SUPPORT YOU.

If you are coming from the North Eastern part of the country, you will be shocked at the job climate. If you do win the lottery and get a real job, you will quickly be slapped with the fact that your boss, the person you will have to answer to, would not have even gotten an interview in the NE. That doesn't bother some people, but if you require even a modicum of professionalism and decorum from your superior, you will be severely let down. Also, what got you 20.00 and hour in the NE, will get you 12.00 there. Look on local job boards to see the salary insanity. It's a service based economy based on waiting on old people and golfers. A Masters will get you 15.00 an hour in some jobs.
I could go on and on but will spare you for the sake of brevity and sanity . . . Just do not make this move without a huge back-up of cash and a job contract in place or you will join the club of people who will never get the most depressing time of their lives spent in hell, back

Research, research, research . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area