Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times

Advertisements

Well, no place is perfect, and I haven't lived in South Florida since 2000, but Coral Ridge used to be nice and as I recall, sort of what you're looking for. And you're not far from the beach, so you can wear that bikini. Lauderdale by the Sea used to be nice, too.

And, posters, please try to respect that the OP has been through some really rough times and has been the victim of violence in a rapidly changing world. They're just trying to find a relatively safe place and maybe grab a little bit of sunshine and happiness in life. It really stinks for a lot of people these days, watching their environment change so rapidly from modest but safe middle class areas to gang infested holes. We were just lucky we were able to sell our place back in 2005, I drove through the old neighborhood not long ago and drove out really fast, it's degraded into practically a slum in 7 years. Very sad, and it used to be so calm and pleasant.

Good luck, regal1.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Also, regal, Big Sicily is right, one of the crazy things about South Florida, at least when I lived there, was the proximity of good areas to bad areas. Sometimes it seems like it changes within a block or two. But I think in Coral Ridge, if you can find a place in the central part, you might be a little more insulated.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 AM

38 posts, read 67,815 times
Regal1,

I feel your pain, and understand what you want.

Being a woman adds a different angle to the mix.

To get what you want, you must live in the Florida Keys, or Jupiter, or anywhere north of Jupiter, like Vero beach is nice. Naples and Sarasota has what you want, so does Taos, New Mexico and Sedona, Arizona. Southern Calif. has what you want, from Laguna Beach to La Jolla to Carlsbad ... it's all about how much $$$ you got.

South Florida, for many years is becoming more and more transient with homeless, beggars, deadbeats and mega amounts of immigrants, legal and illegal. It's becoming a dump really!

I'm here for job reasons, period.

Jupiter, and any city in the Keys, and Naples, you can run at any hour of the day or night. What about Cocoa Beach? New Smyrna is crime free and very quiet! And St. Augustine is very relaxed!

I'm a big ugly dude so I can run at 1AM on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale but if I were a woman, I would not.

All areas I mentioned are safe, clean, good people, nice people, people with manners, and they are WHITE!

Hope this helps, and I apologize for the rude posters.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM

40 posts, read 82,701 times
I wish to express a most sincere Thank You to kmarc and Mr.Loco, for having the sense to comprehend, and compassion to sympathize with an individual who has been a victim of violence and has experienced the ill's of our society first hand.
I thought when I originally wrote the post I was apologetic in expressing my thoughts in what I was searching for in a neighborhood. And because I am honest enough to ask upfront what kind of area I want to live in, I am once again attacked and become a victim. I am not one to throw my hands up in the air and yell victim, because I am most independent, self reliant, work hard, pay my taxes, and have the right to choose selectively a neighborhood that I could live in without any other further stress, looking over my back in fear that if that person is a newly released sex offender on parole, or a seedy individual who has a record with the Police Dept. as a career criminal.
I have no problem living in a area that is predominantly white, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Canadian, Asian, Hispanic, and Black. It's not my fault that predominantly Black or Hispanic area's are neighborhoods with higher crime, violent crimes, and shootings. It's a shame that this is how it is, but I didn't create that situation, and am most sympathetic for the people that must live in those area's because of financial situations, and desire to live in area's that are safer so their children dont have to be exposed to violence, but once again, I did not create this problem, and am tired of hearing to many liberals, who are wealthy and live in homes in white safe, neighborhoods, and have lost all sense of reality of what really goes on in todays society of people committing such horrible violent crimes, and it's not just for money, but for the hell of it, like life has no value.
I unfortunately have been the victim of several crimes and one attempted rape, dont need anyone's pity, but you need to know there are always 2 sides of a coin. I work in the Health Field in Pulmonology and Neurology. I suffer severely from sinusitis, and the latest medical research has listed the top 10 cities to live in with pulmonary issue's and 7 out of 10 were in Florida. Also suffer from Psoriatic Athritis, which requires an area where one can exercise preferrably outdoors as many days of the year as possible, plus swimming in the ocean has many benefits.
All I ask for is area's within neighborhoods that are relatively safe, working middle class, where we all can enjoy somewhat quality of life, and that includes not living in fear. I dont care if there is an abundance of Jews, Asians, Italians, Irish, Germans, and whatever other nationality, as long as we can all live together peacefully.

PS: Why when I ask for a safe area to buy home in South Florida I get attacked, but I already knew a year ago from reading the threads and posts on here to "Definitely, STAY AWAY from anything in the zip code of 33311, and LAUDERHILL, IT'S A WAR ZONE, ALL BLACK, SEC.8, poor people killing one another, as stated by so many of you, so I wonder if anyone who has responded is currently living in that area, and condemning me for seeking a safe area. Just wondering

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Coral Ridge has been suggested, but the surrounding areas (ways in and out) are going to be of concern to you.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Still is right, the surrounding areas can be problematic.

Mr. Loco's advice is spot on, with the OP's background and career skills, they can go almost anywhere. It really shouldn't be difficult to find a place, but South Florida's not where I'd be looking if I wanted to avoid violence.

We moved away when the people next door to us were robbed at gunpoint. But it was an inside job, a friend of one of the kids.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,672 times
The reason why you are being mocked by many is the assumption that minority = unsafe. You could have simply asked for a safe, middle class neighborhood. Weston has a huge minority population but is quite safe. Same for most areas of Pembroke Pines and Miramar. There is nothing wrong for asking which areas are relatively safe to live in... the issue is the assumption that only white neighborhoods will deliver that. There are a bunch of trailer parks in Davie that are mostly white... try there and see if you feel safe walking around at midnight.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Being mocked by individuals who are social hipocrites are the least of my problems. I stated before that there were many individuals who posted threads on this site, specifically looking for a hispanic area, and all people replied respectfully in advising which area's were more hispanic, and the same where another person specifically requested a black neighborhood, and all people who wanted to reply, did so respectfully as well.
I ask for an area that would be predominantly white at least 50%, and 50% mixed with people of other races and cultures and I am being given lip service with sarchastic mocking by people who are sitting at their laptops in their lily white or safe gated community without much fear, and cant comprehend what it's like to work and live in questionable area's with criminal activity always going on, and increasing. I have no problem living with working middle class individuals who morally and ethically believe in some certain social morales with accepting one anothers beliefs without suffering repercussions, and being able to come home from work and not worry about looking over shoulder because of a rapidly changing society and environment.
There is no place that can be considered safe anymore, such as a movie theatre being shot up by a crazy, and beautiful innocent children slaughtered while playing in what was supposed to be a safe place. These safe places dont know color, ethnicity, race, creed, or religion, but we are not blind, unless some of you are unrealistic, that unfortunately alot of minority neighborhoods happen to be area's with higher than usual crime rates, and I dont wish to be subjected to that.
I am very well aware that minority=unsafe is a fallacy. I most definitely would not want to live in a trailer park environment which was totally white, for a definite fear of my life, especially with such ignorant, redneck trash. I was also advised to be careful not to go to far west because I would encounter redneck white trash.
In summary i appreciate advice about Arizona, not Montana, and as far as the reply I got of which is it, dont understand what you mean, and if I do think what it does mean, then I have a few questions for you.
I definitely want to move to South Florida, and do think there is an anti New York feeling by some individuals who think new Yorker's are ruining there state. So if you are replying to discourage people from moving down there then you are truly mentally unstable, and should be somewhat appreciative for some of the financial assets that are stimulating the economy down there.
Like i said earlier, if you can help with info, and suggest area's that are relatively safe, and understand that there can be adjoining area's that are not safe, that is understandable. Living in new York gives one advantages and lessons in life, especially when it comes to area's, neighborhoods, and especially living in NYC, where you have a million dollar condo, and thugs 2 blocks away.
Thank You All, for the info you have contributed, and hopefully there will be some of you who can truly understand me, and know exactly what I am searching for without the sarchasm.
As for you Momma_bear, get a clue, and try to comprehend what you read, and dont twist and misinterpret my words around, very stupid remark from a woman who supposedly always thinks she is right.
Will be seeing you all soon on the beautiful beaches, with or without your assistance

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I recognize that you have had personal experiences that have colored your tolerances to various "groups." That is what it is. Understand that when I said you do NOT want to live in south(east) Florida, I was NOT being sarcastic but expressing a concern that it seriously would be something you would hate.

In your last couple of posts you express the real reason why you are considering the area at all. It would have been helpful if you had stated that up-front. There are some issues you need to be aware of that relate. First: there is mold all over the area. If you see a roof that has black areas, or a sidewalk that has dark spots, it is likely sooty mold. It is a fact of life in the area. Second: The Everglades burn and stink on a regular basis about once every year or two, with larger burns about every five years. That wouldn't be as much of an issue, but the Mellaluca trees that were idiotically imported from Australia to try and dry up the swamps give off a highly toxic smoke for people with breathing issues. The pollens in the area are also constant, so if you have issues with those, you may need to live practically on the beach to get the onshore sea breezes.

My father had severe sinus issues and was also instructed to live in the south near the water to get the greatest relative humidity practical. He literally had nosebleeds that were life-threatening. After looking at, and vacationing in, all of the areas, he eventually settled in a senior retirement park that was on an island in a river near Ft. Myers. It did resolve his problems. The park was nearly all white, but the defining factor was more that it was made of retirees from the midwest who were middle class and up, with many having the funds to enjoy boating on the river. Another location that he had considered was Sanibel Island, which again more fits what you are seeking.

If you want to see ethnic makeup, this map will help. You can zoom in to particular neighborhoods. Bear in mind that the percentages change and the Hispanic percentages in south Florida continue to rise, and urban decay is more prevalent than gentrification.
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM

thank You Harry chickpea, you truly are a Gentleman, who obviously is well mannered, compassionate to others feelings, and most thoughtfull. I do appreciate the info that you provided, and will forward this info to the Pulmonologists that I work with, and am sure the Allergist/Immunologist will find this fact most interesting, because there are a great number of snowbirds that are under our care, and this would be another piect to the puzzle, that can resolve and help with some unexplained medical issue's some of our patients have been suffering.
Thank You also for the map, and your suggestions, I had been advised about Coconut Creek, and north East towards Boca to see if possibly I can find a condo/townhome. And any more of your knowledgeable expertise would be appreciated.
Thank You to a Kind Soul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area