Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 28,815 times

Advertisements

Moving from NY (Long Island) to SE Florida and contemplating the areas listed in the title. Looking for a familiy friendly and younger community (2 kids 9 and 6), top schools, good shoping and restaturants. I am planning to make several trips soon to explore but any input in advanced would be very appreicated.

Also any gated communities you would recomend would be welcomed as well...new or existing. Looking to spend 500k-650K (depending on condition of home). Also resonable fees.

Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTNT View Post
Moving from NY (Long Island) to SE Florida and contemplating the areas listed in the title. Looking for a familiy friendly and younger community (2 kids 9 and 6), top schools, good shoping and restaturants. I am planning to make several trips soon to explore but any input in advanced would be very appreicated.

Also any gated communities you would recomend would be welcomed as well...new or existing. Looking to spend 500k-650K (depending on condition of home). Also resonable fees.

Thank you in advance!!!
Check out the Bellagio area (west of Jog Road, south of Lantana Rd and on either side of the Fl Turnpike) in Lake Worth as well. The schools are "A' rated (Manatee Elementary, Christa McAuliffe MS and Park Vista HS) and you'll get much more house for the money (many under 500K).

Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM

229 posts, read 533,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Bellagio area (west of Jog Road, south of Lantana Rd and on either side of the Fl Turnpike) in Lake Worth as well. The schools are "A' rated (Manatee Elementary, Christa McAuliffe MS and Park Vista HS) and you'll get much more house for the money (many under 500K).
Bellagio is an age 55+ community.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Bellagio is an age 55+ community.
Oops...I have friends who live in Smith Farm just to the east of the Bellagio and was using that as a point of reference on the map since it's well highlighted...Here's that actual neighborhood.

Smith Farm in Lake Worth, Florida

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM

19 posts, read 28,815 times
Appreciate the responses. With my online research seems I'm leaning to Boca, Parkland or Weston...thoughts?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Weston

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM

68 posts, read 166,447 times
I lived in Weston for 4 years, moved back to ohio for family reasons. I loved living in Weston, my daughter's went to Country Isles Elementary and Tequesta Trace Middle school. We were happy with the schools. Looking to move back to Florida within the year.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM

164 posts, read 374,250 times
Where will you be working? South Florida traffic during rush hour is not fun at all. You definitely want to factor the commute into the equation.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTNT View Post

Thank you in advance!!!
I'm in Weston and don't have children -- I'm definitely in the minority; lots of kids here. My neighbors with kids are happy with the schools. Weston is set up with several gated communities and with your price range, you certainly can consider some of the "top" gated communities, such as Weston Hills, etc. You could even get a larger than normal lot on the water (with perhaps even a pool) in some of the other "mid-range" communities such as The Lakes, North Lakes, etc. I would budget around $100 a month or so for HOA fees (and of course, that varies by the association, but I'm just giving you a general idea).

Weston has a quasi-downtown, known as Town Center with restaurants and shops. For serious shopping, there is Sawgrass Mall to the north and Pembroke Commons to the south; also a broader variety of restaurants too. However, you are going to find that, for the most part, the best dining in South Florida (IMHO) is on the east side of Broward County.

Weston is located in a very nice part of the county -- it is out west, just by the Everglades, but there is easy access to Sawgrass Expressway, I-75, and I-595. It's also a community that is big on appearances -- lots of landscaping that is constantly tended, roads paved, well-marked bikepaths, and lots of parks. Very well kept.

With your budget, you should be able to afford a fairly decent-sized yard -- a quarter to a third of an acre (or maybe more) -- which for Weston, is large. One of the complaints you may hear about Weston is that the homes are so close together and the lots are small, and that is true for many homes ($300k range) but if you are willing to go as high as $600k you shouldn't see this as a problem. Weston also is a very diverse community -- about half of the community is hispanic (mostly from South America) and the other half is from all over the world (as well as the US of A). People are drawn here due to the schools, well-kept community, and overall safety of the city. In my little section alone, I have neighbors from South Korea, India, Jamaica, Cuba, Israel, Mexico, Italy, Russia, Canada and Venezuela (and also from other parts of the US of A). Hope this info is of some help.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM

142 posts, read 439,567 times
We moved to Weston in October and are very happy so far. We have 3 young kids, so we too wanted good schools and a family environment. What size house are you looking for? With that budget I'm thinking you should find plenty! A large number of communities here, almost all are gated, Except in the Bonaventure area, the north east corner. We decided to rent first, just to make sure the area and even neighborhood was right for us and we plan to buy once the right thing comes up!

We are happy with our move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area