U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,054 times

Advertisements

It looks like I may be accepting a new job in the Miramar area. I've been doing some research and I am really intrigued with the Pembroke Pines, Davie, Plantation, and Sunrise areas. I would like to keep my commute to work under 20 minutes or so, but would be willing to go to 30 to live in the right area.

It will be just my wife and I moving, no kids, and we are in our early 30's. We are looking to rent right now, probably just a 2 BR apartment or townhouse with a top rent of 1400-1500/month. Mainly, we want to be somewhere a little quiet and laid back with friendly people and young professionals in our age group. We can always drive downtown if we want a little excitement or a night out on the town.

We currently are living in Memphis and we both grew up in Atlanta so we are familiar with and like the climate.

Based on the criteria above, I would love to get some feedback as to where we should look first, and what we should definitely cross off the list and not even bother with. Also, if there are any other areas that I didn't list above that I should consider as well would be extremely helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM

2,040 posts, read 1,889,745 times
Pembroke Pines is going to give you your best commute to Miramar -- Pembroke Pines is right next to Miramar and you could very well be looking at a commute that is no longer than 20 minutes, if that (depending on traffic, traveling through school zones, etc.)

Davie, Plantation and Sunrise are farther away -- depending on traffic, you are looking at the 30/35 minute mark.

I used to rent and own in a development called Pine Island Ridge in Davie -- it is located off of Pine Island Road and I-595; there's a lot of construction on the highway right now but that development is within your price range -- if anything, you might be able to find something around $1000 - $1200 a month. I found it to be a quiet development, with a mix of young families, young singles and retirees. The development is right on a nature preserve (Pine Island) and the trails and oak forests are so beautiful.

Good luck and welcome to South Florida!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,054 times
Thanks for the reply wizrap. I took a look at the Pine Island Ridge area on Hotpads and it looks like there are a lot of rentals there well within our range.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,905,179 times
Pembroke Pines is decent and is closest. You may find Davie and Plantation a little more exciting. Sunrise is decent too. All good areas. The only downside to living in Davie or Plantation is the highway construction on 595, but you would be closer to the beaches and downtown there.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM

423 posts, read 1,563,528 times
Pine Island Ridge will probably get you the best bang for your buck and it is very nice and central.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM

984 posts, read 4,018,223 times
(West) Pembroke Pines and Cooper City for a short commute (within 20 mins. approx.) and living in a nice and safe neighborhood. Pine Island Ridge up in Davie is another good idea cited here, I'll second that - also not far from Miramar and not far from the central areas in Broward (Ft. Lauderdale/Ft. Lauderdale Beach/Las Olas).

Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,558,607 times
Cooper City is the best area to live with the easiest commute to Miramar. The neighborhoods are safe and quiet and the prices are reasonable. The biggest negative is that it is pretty much an area of young families, and the whole area sort of has this feeling of being stuck in 1992 (not in a bad way), but the good thing about Cooper City is that it is not a far drive to Ft. Lauderdale at all, very close to the Hard Rock and a reasonable drive to Miami.

Pembroke Pines is nothing special, borders on Miramar. Its a pretty busy area and is your typical shopping mall type suburb. Pretty much all of Pembroke Pines is at least adequate, but it ranges from a no frills working class neighborhood of 1960s housing on the east to moderately upscale newer subdivisions on the west, generally getting newer and more upscale the further west you go. The best neighborhoods aesthetically are west of Hiatus Road.

Miramar follows a similar pattern with some rougher patches in the middle and extreme east and it shares a border with some really bad neighborhoods to the south. If you like the west side of Pembroke Pines, you will also like the west side of Miramar, but I suggest looking west of Red Road if considering Miramar. Super boring area, but about equidistant to Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Davie is similar to Cooper City but with some very upscale neighborhoods mixed in and a more rural feel in spots. Stay west of University Dr for better neighborhoods. The areas east of University range anything from similar to west, to student housing, to some really rough patches. I agree with the suggestion of Pine Island Ridge, which is a great location and nice neighborhood.

Plantation is a very nice looking area, and probably has the the largest young professional presence out of any of the areas mentioned, even if it is not exactly a mecca of such. I would say the population in Plantation is more baby boomer/empty-nester skewed overall, but with a little bit of every age group. They are trying to turn the area around Broward Mall into a quasi-downtown with moderate success, and the area will probably really liven up as the economy gets better. It's also a short drive to Ft. Lauderdale beach. The nicest neighborhoods will be west of the turnpike.

It's worth noting that Pembroke Pines and Miramar have a heavy Hispanic population. Pembroke Pines is predominantly Hispanic and Miramar is predominantly black with an almost equally large Hispanic population. Pretty much everyone speaks English in these middle class dominated areas, but maybe not among other Hispanics if that bothers you.

Sunrise is getting too far away for an area that is fine in spots, rough in others and overall nothing special. I would cross it off.

Out of the areas I would rank it something like this (with commute times), with all being worthy of consideration.

1. Plantation- 30 minutes, up to 40 in heavy traffic.
2. Cooper City- 25 minutes or less.
3. Davie- 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Pembroke Pines- 5 to 25 minutes, depending on where.
4. Miramar (west)- Nonexistent to 10 minutes.

Cross out

1. Sunrise, long commute for just OK area.
2. Miramar (east)

Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 919 times
Moving to Fort Lauderdale in November with my boyfriend and we are in our 40's and will like to know where will be the best place to find new construction or newer houses, has to be a quiet place and good community and of course close to the beach any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>