Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 93,242 times

Advertisements

Ft. Lauderdale or Tampa? Best place to move for a person in their earlier 20's to move with nightlife and young people? Which one do you prefer and why? Would love some advice and opinions. I've narrowed down my search to Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
If you love nightlife, Fort Lauderdale is the better option. Fort Lauderdale has pretty good nightlife scattered around- Las Olas, Beachplace, and Hardrock. Fort Lauderdale is also only 30 minutes from South Beach- the capital of nightlife in America. Tampa has decent nightlife too, but not on the same scale as South FL.

In every other category, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale are equal. I cannot find any advantages of one city over the other. Fort Lauderdale is conveniently located between Miami and West Palm Beach, so you have 3 major international airports and 2 major cruiseports to choose from. Tampa/St. Pete just has one international airport and 1 cruiseport. Both cities are on the coasts. Both have good beaches. I would give Fort Lauderdale a slight edge in beaches because I think our beaches are superior to Clearwater/St. Pete and Fort Lauderdale is situated RIGHT on the beach instead of 15 miles inland.

Another difference in the two cities is the types of people who live there. Tampa has more of a Midwest influence and Fort Lauderdale has more of a Northeastern influence. You will find more ex-New Yorkers, ex-Bostonians, NJ, DC, and Californians in South FL. You will find more ex-Chicago, ex-Michigan, ex-Ohio, ex-Indiana, etc. in Tampa. Although I have been seeing tons of Illinois license plates in South FL recently.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Tampa is snoooze-ville for younbg people, let's be honest, it's totally boring.
Take it from me, OP. I'm a young 20-something and Tampa is Boring with a capital B.

Fort lauderdale is your best bet.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 35,864 times
Tampa would be great for a month or so, but after hitting all the spots you would soon ask yourself....is this it? It doesn't take long to exhaust all nightlife options there.

South Florida is 20x stronger. International vibe, versus white blue-collar feel in Tampa. It will take you a year to explore everything in South Florida.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM

36 posts, read 93,242 times
Thank you this is exactly the kind of feedback I needed.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Ft. Lauderdale has the best weather, and also has lots more going on for younger people, so I'd choose there.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM

105 posts, read 250,002 times
South Florida's nitelife is not all its cracked up to be, it's been on the decline, and the people are rude in South FL. You would probably have a lot more fun partying with Tampa folks, IMO. Don't come to Fort Lauderdale thinking you're going to have a blast with a ton of women unless you got a lot of $$$$$$, which you will just be used for. Down to earth people are not common in South FL.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
You have to separate South FL nightlife down into two categories. One is Miami/South Beach and two is the rest of South FL. Miami/South Beach is the nightlife capital of the country. If you get bored there, you may as well give up because nowhere in America has as much nightlife. Fort Lauderdale nightlife is slightly above average compared to other U.S. cities. Not great, but decent-pretty good. Your options are limited compared to Miami. But there are still enough places to go out to not get bored. Fort Lauderdale nightlife itself can be redundant if you always go out downtown. You can get a change of pace from Fort Lauderdale by driving further south to Hollywood and Miami.

You will find that people in general go out at night much more in South FL than other parts of the U.S. especially compared to the Southeast. Most southeastern cities are asleep by midnight. You will find a lot of people out during the evening hours here clogging up the roads, going places, and in the downtown and beach areas especially on Fri's and Sat's.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 03-04-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
what are u looking for out of nightlife?? are u referring to hooking up with smoking hot girls or dating hot women, living the life? Ive lived in both places for 5 years originally from NY and in tampa now. In lauderdale and sofla the party scene is way, way shady and you will almost have to adopt a thug, as*h*le personality to get anywhere. hot girls down there have no respect for educated guys and they prefer to be treated poorly by thug types. tampa has plenty of nightlife, just as many if not more hot women and its a totally down to earth, normal scene. normal, smart guys with legal jobs go out with gorgeous women whereas in lauderdale u will want to be a drug dealer or thugged out poser to pull consistantly. if access to hot women is not what u mean by nightlife then disregard all this but sofla is still a very shady, dark, and untrustworthy place.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
what are u looking for out of nightlife?? are u referring to hooking up with smoking hot girls or dating hot women, living the life? Ive lived in both places for 5 years originally from NY and in tampa now. In lauderdale and sofla the party scene is way, way shady and you will almost have to adopt a thug, as*h*le personality to get anywhere. hot girls down there have no respect for educated guys and they prefer to be treated poorly by thug types. tampa has plenty of nightlife, just as many if not more hot women and its a totally down to earth, normal scene. normal, smart guys with legal jobs go out with gorgeous women whereas in lauderdale u will want to be a drug dealer or thugged out poser to pull consistantly. if access to hot women is not what u mean by nightlife then disregard all this but sofla is still a very shady, dark, and untrustworthy place.
Good thing I don't go clubbing, so I never see this shady, dark, untrustworthy side of South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area