Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 17,294 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to weed through all the threads here and they are just all over the place. We are a lesbian couple looking for a neighborhood to live in that I could walk my dogs in, in the mornings alone, feel relatively safe but not far from beach, nightlife, etc. No kids so schools are not a problem. We are moving from Sarasota but we just got here 6 months ago. I have seen that Wilton Manors is the gay neighborhood but I have read that Oakland Park surrounds it and its the ghetto..is that true? I would prefer to rent a home and not go into a condo only because the ones I have google walked all seem to be on a major road and the no surrounding neighborhood close. It seems like neighborhoods don't exist and its all condos, etc. I have also seem that you can't touch a home for under $1800 but they seem like their in a bad neighborhoods.
What am I missing? It can't really be that way in FTL, can it? If it matters we are pushing 40 It seems like it matters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Victoria Park?

P.S. what area of Sarasota are you from / trying to compare FLL to?

Last edited by ruski; 03-12-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM

222 posts, read 382,789 times
Do you mind not being in a predominantly gay neighborhood? I can't speak to prices, but east of Federal in Mid/North Fort Lauderdale (area surrounding Bayview Rd from Sunrise all the way to Cypress Creek Rd) and eastern Pompano and Lighthouse Point (again, east of Federal) are all areas I would feel perfectly safe walking my dog in the dark (also female around 40). The farther north you go, the more hetero-predominant the 'hoods (and the farther from good nightlife), but South FL as a whole is a pretty open-minded place, especially the eastern side.

I think a lot of Wilton Manors is pretty safe, but somewhat close to sketch, so I'll wait for someone else to chime in on that. Oakland Park has some pretty nice pockets - just west of Federal, north of Oakland, and south of Floranada Road, east of (I think) 15th Ave is a beautiful little gentrified neighborhood, and with a pretty mixed population. I think that's Oakland Park. May be Ft. Lauderdale? Again, I don't know rental prices, but there are definitely multifamily non-commercial things mixed in all of these neighborhoods that are attractive and small. Just hard to find without driving the streets.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 17,294 times
Ruski...We live in Venice right now. We literally just move here 6 months ago and had no idea what it was like. Again, her job transferred us and it looks like its gonna happen again. And we have never been to FTL or Miami (other then the airport)

buttercup..No we don't care whether its a gay neighborhood or not. We will just have one day and night to see the city and get a place and that's it. I don't want to waste my time in neighborhoods that are just icky. Thx for the advice on what direction to head!! I'll start looking again.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
In Fort Lauderdale you can never go wrong with Las Olas.

Also on the beach between Las Olas and Sunrise Blvd - nice area.

If you want more quiet - check out Lauderdale By The Sea.

Another nice area of Fort Lauderdale is on the beach near 17th Street Causeway.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM

164 posts, read 374,544 times
Zip codes to look at: 33301, 33304, 33305, 33306, 33308, 33316. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
I second Ruski on Victoria Park. Also check out Coral Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area