Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Hi, last week I bought my plane tickets for a one week stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Can anyone recommend a clean but inexpensive lodging in Fort Lauderdale? You see, to me lodging is just a room with a bed in it and a bathroom. I would much rather spend my money on dining, entertainment, attractions, and shopping.

When I go to sites like Travelocity, Orbitz, Tripadvisor, etc. they seem to only promote resorts on the beach -- I don't want to stay on the beach -- and the more upscale places with room rates $100 per night and over (in June??? isn't this the off season???). I would be happier in some privately owned motel on US 1, or Sunrise Blvd., in Wilton Manors, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

If any of you visit Philly I can tell you where to get the best cheesesteak sandwich!

Thanks, Clark from Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

226 posts, read 483,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Hi, last week I bought my plane tickets for a one week stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Can anyone recommend a clean but inexpensive lodging in Fort Lauderdale? You see, to me lodging is just a room with a bed in it and a bathroom. I would much rather spend my money on dining, entertainment, attractions, and shopping.

When I go to sites like Travelocity, Orbitz, Tripadvisor, etc. they seem to only promote resorts on the beach -- I don't want to stay on the beach -- and the more upscale places with room rates $100 per night and over (in June??? isn't this the off season???). I would be happier in some privately owned motel on US 1, or Sunrise Blvd., in Wilton Manors, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

If any of you visit Philly I can tell you where to get the best cheesesteak sandwich!

Thanks, Clark from Philly
try days inn@ 1595 West Oakland park Blvd or econo lodge @2949 North federal H/way both are near shopping and the beach with good rates

Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Try the LaQuinta Inn located on US1 near Commercial Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. Its nothing nice or fancy at all. It is outdated and has doors on the outside of the building. But it is clean and is in a good location. You won't impress any women with this place, but it fits the bill of what you're looking for.

I know they also have some privately owned motels on the beach in places like Pompano Beach and Hollywood that would be far less money. Fort Lauderdale is very commercialized so you typically only have chains, but Pompano and Hollywood have tons of these tiny little places. They aren't easy to find on Kayak.

South FL isn't really a seasonal town like the rest of FL so you don't see huge swings in prices.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the information.

It turns out the Days Inn on West Oakland Park Blvd. is very reasonably priced, and the reviews seem to indicate it's well worth it, although a few mentioned the rooms were a bit "dated" and it was due for a refurbishment.

I checked other Days Inn accommodations and was surprised that one by the airport charges nearly double the one on Oakland Park Blvd.! I also found a privately owned motel near Holiday Park - which is an ideal location for me - that I will investigate further.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Be careful about Oakland Park Blvd. Depending on where on Oakland Park, you could be in the ghetto. You usually get what you pay for, so you may get something barely above hourly level.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM

94 posts, read 169,095 times
Check out Lauderdale by the Sea, there are several inexpensive mom and pop style motels there, I have stayed at one called Breakaway Inn for several years when we come down to Homestead for NASCAR. Owned by some nice folks and very clean.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the information.

For years I would stay at a once upscale but now faded motel on US1 in Hollywood called The Entrada Motel. It was probably built in the '50's and besides a large pool and tropical landscaping it boasted a coffee shop, a cocktail lounge, and an attractive high ceiling lobby. I stayed there last year and was dismayed how shabby the place become. It was even below my standards, and I'm not a fussy person. It was not dirty, I'll give them that much, but the place was so worn, faded, run down looking it seemed like it needed dire up-dating 20 years ago ... and the cafe and lounge no longer exit.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Unfortunately, lots of places like that in Hollywood along US1. Lots of once proud establishments that are run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area