Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 17,461 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I will be moving to FTL area (or somewhere near Miami) for school (NSU in Davie) in two months. I am bit older, so not looking to do the whole college experience by living by the school. I was thinking about living in W/M or near there to be near my community but I also LOVE the beach. The beach is actually one of the main reason why I am moving there. But I also like to go out and drink and have fun without worrying about getting a DUI or being unable to drive home.

I am really torn about what to do. It would be awesome to be able to walk to the beach, but it would also be awesome to be able to walk to the bars and etc.... Any suggestions?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Well, living on the beach will be more expensive. The good thing about Ft. Lauderdale is that the beach is never too far away, so if you live by the bars, it might be a bit cheaper, you can walk to the bars, and still be close enough to the beach. Then again, living on the water gives you those refreshing breezes (you'll need those in summer!), and you're still kinda close to the bars. It all depends on what you prefer.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egello View Post
Hi everyone

I was thinking about living in W/M or near there to be near my community but I also LOVE the beach. The beach is actually one of the main reason why I am moving there. But I also like to go out and drink and have fun without worrying about getting a DUI or being unable to drive home.

... It would be awesome to be able to walk to the beach, but it would also be awesome to be able to walk to the bars and etc...

Thank you
If you mean by "my community" the LGBT Community ... then stay in Wilton Manors. You can walk to the bars and not have to worry about DUI. Wilton Manors has great shops and restaurants and very walkable. Living near the beach is lovely (I grew up near Hollywood Beach) but it can be expensive.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM

242 posts, read 499,108 times
great cab services, yellow cab, intercity cabs etc.
wilton manors is a five minute drive from the beach. take 26th east and go left on bayview drive, then make a right onto oakland park blvd and go over the bridge. you can go left towards lauderdale-by-the-sea or right towards Sebastian beach.
wilton manors you will be able to walk to all the bars and home. galangas restaurant is wonderful so is rosie's bar and grill.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 PM

12 posts, read 17,461 times
thx for all the replies,,, still debating between the two neighborhood

Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM

984 posts, read 4,314,917 times
It's a tough call. But based on your first post, probably the beach (FTL Beach). Both places are safe, well kept, nice all-around. Take a look at the actual housing prices and ads on both areas (Trulia, Realtor, HotPads, Craigslist and Zillow are good sites for that) and see what would be the bigger priority: being in your community or living by the beach.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 04-03-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,324 times
You are better off in Wilton Manors walking distance to the bars. You can drive to the beach whenever you want. You can't drive home drunk. Plus if you live walking distance to the beach you will be in the 1st evacuation zone if a hurricane approaches.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,547 times
Depends on your budget. The beach is going to be very expensive and during "season" you're going to be stranded in traffic all the time when the "snowbirds" arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area