Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 AM

59 posts, read 85,659 times

Advertisements

There's a reason it's not easy making friends.

Florida is retirees, displaced NE/NYers, transients and immigrants.

Sorry, but the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Since the subject came up. Is there a "gay" neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale area or county? Where I live there is a known "gay" area. People always asking about "bad" areas, but those are easy to spot.
The gay area is Wilton Manors.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times
It really is hard to make friends anywhere after a certain age. Around 40ish you don't go to clubs or bars anymore, certainly not alone. I also like people my own age and I have to click with a person to be their friend. A great conversation starter is where are you from originally because most are not from Florida.

You have to go out looking for friends or hope that your job puts you in a situation where you can make friends. No one is going to knock on your door looking for a relationship you have to go find it.

I'm shy and a bit of a loner at times. I had one good friend after being here a few years, he got mad at something which was both out faults, but he just blamed me and stopped talking to me. I've gone out looking for friends and it's not easy. I met a few people in a group setting but really no one I clicked with. I even put feelers out there by asking people if they wanted to go out for a drink special night. There is a group of 4 or 5 friends but it seems they don't really want to welcome anyone else into the group.

I don't think it's much more particular to here, I think it can be hard to make friends or find a relationship anywhere.

I even tried to get in touch with an old friend on Facebook from 20 years ago, at first he seemed excited, (he lives 1500 miles away but a lot of people visit Florida or I could have seen him when I went back home) but I prefer email and when I responded to him he said he was busy and going on vacation and could not respond in a while. Two month later I told him I was sorry to bother him and then he got all chummy and responded. I'm done with that nonsense, I know when I'm not wanted. So that didn't work out either.

I'm also very guarded when I meet people and don't like to tell them my personal business such as where I work etc. Anyway I keep trying on occasion.

Oh and there was another group that I had met online before I moved here. The main guy who I became friends with turned out to be a nice guy but a bit flakey and his out of town friends that we both knew weren't interested in hanging with me if he was not around. I put an end to that when he was gonna have a get together with an out of town friend on his own birthday weekend (ego much) and I was an afterthought that was supposed to read the invite on a forum. There's only so many times you can hear sorry that I only call you when I need something, at least he was kind enough to acknowledge it. One guy in the group was nice, very conservative and never had a drink in his life so it was funny to see him befriending these two lushes.

Last edited by NowSoFlorida; 04-26-2013 at 02:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 04:08 PM

59 posts, read 85,659 times
What the above poster said +10.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM

68 posts, read 133,582 times
Wow...this is kind of sad. I really like people and, while I realize that it is harder to make friends after a certain age, it is a little harder than I even expected. Maybe after this thread I will change my expectations and maybe be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 PM

242 posts, read 499,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Since the subject came up. Is there a "gay" neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale area or county? Where I live there is a known "gay" area. People always asking about "bad" areas, but those are easy to spot.
yes, it's called wilton manors. it is off federal hwy and 26th street, go west then you will come to five points. keep to the middle part. hard to explain. there are five roads, the most left road is dixie, then the next one from the most left is wilton drive and this is the road you want. welcome, you are now in wilton manors. i love this area btw, great bars, people, and shops. please visit over the moon candy shop, it's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area