Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times

Advertisements

Tried two Walmarts in Fort Lauderdale, not impressed. Just moved from New Orleans and sorely disappointed. No cold food, vegies, etc. Reminds me of KMart 10 years ago. Where do most people find cost conscious groceries in Fort Lauderdale. We ended up at Publix but they are a little pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Tried two Walmarts in Fort Lauderdale, not impressed. Just moved from New Orleans and sorely disappointed. No cold food, vegies, etc. Reminds me of KMart 10 years ago. Where do most people find cost conscious groceries in Fort Lauderdale. We ended up at Publix but they are a little pricey.
It sounds like you visited a standard Wal-Mart, not a Supercenter. There are not that many Walmart Supercenters around there area (I think I remember you being from Louisiana, where Supercenters are abundant). There is one Supercenter in Coral Springs, another in Lauderhill (grungy neighborhood, I'd avoid it), but another is under construction off Pine Island Road in Davie. There is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on U.S. 1 in Pompano Beach.

Winn-Dixie seems to be consistently cheaper than Publix, but the quality of the stores vary greatly depending on the surrounding neighborhood. The Winn Dixie stores in the more affluent areas (ie east Fort Lauderdale, Plantation) are much better. Their selection is not as good as Publix, but for basic groceries, they beat Publix on price every time. Especially with the Winn Dixie card.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Food is expensive in South Florida.
It's just one of the facts of living here.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
There are Aldi stores popping up in quite a few places. My kids have been perfectly happy with their chips, boxed goods, canned goods, milk eggs and cheese and frozen goods. I haven't liked the meats so much and the vegies are kind of hit or miss. It's a different shopping experience. Much smaller, shorter hours, bring your own bags or buy them, bag your own groceries and bring a quarter (you get it back) for the shopping cart. Check out their website before you go.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM

112 posts, read 184,496 times
There is also a Wal-Mart Super Centre on Hallandale BLVD in Hallandale Beach....and it is Great!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Aldi, Where are they?

Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
There is a WalMart Super Center in Pembroke Pines. There is also an Aldis there.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
alsidw-

If you just want Walmart groceries, there is a Walmart Neighborhood Market on US1 in Pompano Beach that is pretty good. It is just the Walmart grocery store without the rest of the walmart. The prices are way cheaper than Publix. I used to shop there and save about 40-50% compared to Publix. The only thing that bothered me is that their produce is much lower quality than Publix. There is a Publix right next door, so I would shop at Walmart first and do 90% of my shopping, then jet over to Publix and buy fruits and veggies. I saved a lot of money that way.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Great news, we will try the Pompano location, I am retired on SS and every dollar counts.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
alsidw-

If you just want Walmart groceries, there is a Walmart Neighborhood Market on US1 in Pompano Beach that is pretty good. It is just the Walmart grocery store without the rest of the walmart. The prices are way cheaper than Publix. I used to shop there and save about 40-50% compared to Publix. The only thing that bothered me is that their produce is much lower quality than Publix. There is a Publix right next door, so I would shop at Walmart first and do 90% of my shopping, then jet over to Publix and buy fruits and veggies. I saved a lot of money that way.
Another idea is to visit farmer's markets (for example, the Yellow Green Farmer's Market in Hollywood, Swap Shop, the one at the Festival Marketplace, or others) for produce. The produce is usually good quality, often more local in origin and so much cheaper than Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area