U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,615,456 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale before we leave for a cruise and I'm wondering if there is a mall with a Walmart nearby to get some last minute toiletries, etc? If so, how far is it from the airport, and can you give me the street it's on, or preferably the address of Walmart if possible? Thanks so much.
Ann
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,819,394 times
There is no Walmart anywhere nearby the area you'll be in. Your best bet is the Publix on SE 17th Street and Cordoba Rd. in the Harbor Plaza. There is also a Winn Dixie across the street, and Walgreens and CVS within blocks. SE 17th Street runs right along the edge of the cruiseport. The airport and cruiseport are very close together. You can get a cheap taxi cab ride from the airport to the Publix, and then walk to the cruiseport entrance or take a cab there. Yellow cabs are pretty inexpensive convenient ways to get around this area.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,615,456 times
Thanks so much for your information Nolefan 34. Much appreciated.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,030,035 times
Plus there has to be at least one Walgreens in the area or a CVS.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,985,918 times
Before you buy anything I would check with the cruise line to see what they let you carry on...and in what amounts...

Just a tip...make sure you bring enough singles/small bills so you can tip the bag handler's on the dock...some will actually tell you "if you don't give me a tip your bag's won't make it"...

Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM

652 posts, read 1,537,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Before you buy anything I would check with the cruise line to see what they let you carry on...and in what amounts...

Just a tip...make sure you bring enough singles/small bills so you can tip the bag handler's on the dock...some will actually tell you "if you don't give me a tip your bag's won't make it"...
I tip them anyway, but if I were old that I would find a supervisor and they would be fired on the spot. and if a worker becomes spiteful and decides to lose my bags afterwards I would demand to be upgraded to their best suite and find some way to make them buy me new clothing on the trip.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,985,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
I tip them anyway, but if I were old that I would find a supervisor and they would be fired on the spot. and if a worker becomes spiteful and decides to lose my bags afterwards I would demand to be upgraded to their best suite and find some way to make them buy me new clothing on the trip.
It won't do you any good to report them...they are part of the Dock Workers Union......and in some way part of the baggage handlers union at the airport's......not at all related to the cruise line business...so reporting them basically results in a "there isn't anything we can do" comment. Instead, I took his name off his ID Card and reported his demand to the IRS......their investigation determined he was living well above what he was reporting in income annually......and they gave him a demand..."pay-up or go to jail."......

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM

384 posts, read 559,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
The dock workers do NOT work for the cruise lines. Plus, you don't have to make a scene to upgrade to a suite. Just fax in an upgrade request and if the cruise is really full (as they always are), you will be upgraded to atleast a junior suite. I've been upgraded from lowly verandah cabins to Deluxe Verandah Suites two times on Holland America Line, one European cruise, and one in the Caribbean. The sticker price for that suite in the European cruise was $18,000 per person but we got it for the price of just a balcony cabin.

European Cruise

Caribbean Cruise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area