Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 16,910 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Miami Beach and I commute to Pompano Beach every day. I love living in Miami but the drive is finally starting to wear on me so I want to look into moving further north to save some money. I would like to be halfway between Pompano and Miami so I was thinking about the Plantation/Sunrise area. I don't want to spend anymore than $1200/mo for a 1 br. I found two apartment complexes online that seemed nice- The Waves and Mar Lago. Does anyone know anything about them?

I'm not a party animal but at the same time I'm not a homebody either so I would like to be close to restaurants and other fun things to do. I welcome any other suggestions for places to live.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
nicer parts of Plantation/Sunrise are quite a bit inland, are you OK with that?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Yes, I don't mind. I know I'm going to get more bang for my buck that way. I'm currently paying $1325 for a 1 BR in Sobe that's only 640 sq ft. However, I'm 2 blocks from the ocean so I know I'm paying for location.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Have you looked into Port Royal?
It's on the Pompano/Ft Lauderdale border, off of Federal and would be a great location.
In addition, it's a lot of people in your age group.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 AM

Aren't the apartments on the smaller side? I'd like to get something around 700-800 sq ft.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siserilla View Post
Aren't the apartments on the smaller side? I'd like to get something around 700-800 sq ft.
You are correct, I apologize

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM

216 posts, read 438,304 times
There are a bunch of new apartments going up off U.S. 1 in Fort Lauderdale now.
I am not sure why you would want to live all the way in Plantation or Sunrise, with the beach and nightlife so far away. Just a thought.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM

How far is Plantation from the beach and nightlife? I'm not very familiar with the area.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Depending on traffic.. I'd guess about 25-30 mins.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siserilla View Post
I currently live in Miami Beach and I commute to Pompano Beach every day. I love living in Miami but the drive is finally starting to wear on me so I want to look into moving further north to save some money. I would like to be halfway between Pompano and Miami so I was thinking about the Plantation/Sunrise area. I don't want to spend anymore than $1200/mo for a 1 br. I found two apartment complexes online that seemed nice- The Waves and Mar Lago. Does anyone know anything about them?

I'm not a party animal but at the same time I'm not a homebody either so I would like to be close to restaurants and other fun things to do. I welcome any other suggestions for places to live.

Thanks in advance
I don't know Plantation or Sunrise (much) but...The Waves is managed by ZRS - as was my former apartment high rise in Jax so that's a positive - property wise - they do things right. It looks nice. You see they only have the one style 1 BR avail though, right? $1043 - $1445. 2 units available. It depends on the upgrades and location in the complex if you can get one for 1200. http://www.wavesaptsplantationfl.com...ricing-1br.asp I put laminate floors in my unit on the pool deck level and they raised my unit by $200 when I moved out LOL.

I'm surprised they have that range on the specific unit - they usually post the exact price for each available unit.

If Port Royale is too small then go on realtor.com and look at condo and other rentals. But be careful renting from an individual condo owner. "Across the street-ish" is Coral Ridge with duplexes and Imperial Point to name two neighborhoods that MAY work. Even Lauderdale By the Sea but you have to watch where just like Pompano. I saw gorgeous waterfront condos for rent in Pompano in 2009. 1200 was a two bedroom rate in 2008 but now rentals are higher. This is a good area and very close to work and the beach and shopping. You need to drive UP and become familiar with the area. I haven't been down there looking in a bit but these MAY be new-ish housing I saw next to the AT&T building - with pastel exteriors if I'm remembering right - and very convenient. If you go up to look. Others sections in Imperial Point may be older but with more value. You really have to spend several days driving around everywhere and timing your commute. ONE LIGHT right at AT&T can get you stuck for 15 minutes so you have to have a 'round the block work around but if you dont' know that area you'd never know it and maybe dismiss it as "too crowded". But it's not. When I was going to work there, I was going to lease at Port Royale so I could walk to work.

random example:

Fort Lauderdale Apartments for Rent & Apartment Rentals in Fort Lauderdale - Zillow

If the Waves is anything like the property in Jax, it may be that mostly none of the other private rentals will compare, TBH. But in Jax we had a 24 hour concierge and I don't see that here. Drive up and check them out!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-21-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area