U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM

29 posts, read 105,723 times

Advertisements

I decided to ask this question on my own, reading such mixed reviews throughout the thread on here I dont want to stress myself out by focusing purely on the negative comments, so please try not to bash the city. I am a single mom of a 6 year old boy in my mid 20's I moved to Jacksonville about a year ago, and given the type of environment it is here, its been good to me be but not a place i'd like to settle or raise my child in. I have visited south florida and fell in love its much like back home. However, like ive stated, ive read mixed reviews and am a little torn on the area. I would like to know what the living is like in south florida. Im very adamant on good schools and some form of safety, i dont party so not too fast but not as slow as jackonville either. Granted its virtually unsafe throuout the US period, and every city has its bad areas so im not oblivious to those facts. I would just like to know, as a professional and as a single mom where would be a good place to live? I'm adamant about staying in florida, but WHERE is the BIG QUESTION
Rate this post positively

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,164,752 times
If you find a nice town in South Florida - it is great to live here!

P.S. where did you live before Jacksonville?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM

29 posts, read 105,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
If you find a nice town in South Florida - it is great to live here!

P.S. where did you live before Jacksonville?
Yeah thats what im struggling on, for each city i find that may have potential, I see a flood of negative comments. I absolutely love Florida, I was born and raised in Southern California and even with great job opportunities being offered for me to go back, I refuse to. But as good as Jacksonville has been to me, its a little TOO country for me, and a little TOO segregated. I wasn't raised like that, and really dont want to raise my child in a place like that "/ so that's why I want to move further South.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,516,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGonzalez View Post
Yeah thats what im struggling on, for each city i find that may have potential, I see a flood of negative comments. I absolutely love Florida, I was born and raised in Southern California and even with great job opportunities being offered for me to go back, I refuse to. But as good as Jacksonville has been to me, its a little TOO country for me, and a little TOO segregated. I wasn't raised like that, and really dont want to raise my child in a place like that "/ so that's why I want to move further South.
Weston, Davie, Parkland, and Boca are great!

Old 08-23-2013, 03:00 PM

411 posts, read 768,990 times
Quote:
Just move South, you'll be fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM

2,965 posts, read 12,895,637 times
Default Options

Quote:
What you expressed in your post is the same impression I had of Jacksonville. You may like the diversity that exists in south Florida or Orlando. I certainly do even though my SIL calls me a "gringa-gringa" jokingly of course.

I live due west of downtown Fort Lauderdale in an area called Weston. I have looked around and around at other areas -- Weston is simply "home" and I love living here. Of course, every place has it's warts. The schools are good .. some may say great -- I will leave that for a parent to answer.

Check it out and ask lots and lots of questions. Also read all the posts ... there is a lot of history here that will be helpful in making your decision.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 PM

11,937 posts, read 11,640,310 times
I just want to point out that Miami is not diverse.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,516,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to point out that Miami is not diverse.
Yes it is, unlike Sarasota.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Yes it is, unlike Sarasota.
Miami is predominantly Latino. How is that diverse? Not the greater Miami area, not Fort Lauderdale but Miami.

No one ever said Sarasota is diverse. It is the whitest city on the planet. There is little to no racial diversity in Sarasota.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Weston, Davie, Parkland, and Boca are great!
Shouldn't you actually live in one of these areas before you start telling others to live there? You stated in another post you were thinking of moving to the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area