Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 AM

15 posts, read 65,935 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3 currently living in Germany and will move to Florida due to my husband's job. His office will be in Doral and after researching we decide to live in Weston. My daughter is 5 and since moving to Germany she develops Seletive mutism, partly because of language problem and partly because of the not so nice encounters (more of bad experiences) with some German school teachers. I heard that public schools in Weston are nice and are all in the same level of quality but we also think to put her in a Montessori School in Weston (in Indian Trace road, 3 village montessori). She speaks English as her primary langauge but has very low self esteem and not willing to talk to strangers. She did not talk to her teachers in her school in Germany, but she is not academically nor mentally challenged either. We assume that she would be better of in a nurturing kindergarten environment with less drilling-style school method. Is there any public school with such criteria in Weston? Any advice on the montessori school in Weston? Any advice would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,642,400 times
Schools in Weston, Broward county, Florida, are amongst the highest school rates in the entire county and Montessori school also has a great reputation.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:52 PM

142 posts, read 439,405 times
I'd personally at least check out the public schools in Weston. I'm not sure if it will have what you need, but I have a friend with two kids in the public schools that need extra assistance as she's very happy. I'm not sure how or what she would "qualify" for...but at least look into it!

Old 08-27-2013, 04:48 AM

Dear both, thanks so much for the advice. I'd look into the schools. Are those public schools 'open' to children with extra assistance? Especially that we are foreigners (cause in Germany, they are not really 'open' to foreigners). Also, this might sound stupid but I really do not know the procedure, are we allowed to take a tour of a public school, even though we still don't know if we are going to live in that school's district or not? Do you know any Moms group / mom supports in Weston area? Thanks bunch.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM

142 posts, read 439,405 times
Weston is very open to foreigners. There are TONS of countries represented here. A large majority may be Spanish speaking, but we have a number of Asian and Indian neighbors as well. Also a neighbor from France. So, I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

I honestly can't say about touring the school and so on. When we moved here we knew the school my son would be attending based on the house we were renting. So, all of our research was from
Greatschools dot org. I do know they have special needs classes as I have a friend with two daughters in them. I know one child is autistic. The other has a speech delay.

Mom's group, I know they're out there. Check meetup dot com. Or mom's international maybe? Oh I can't quite remember. But I think a little search on google may lead you to one. I remember looking when I first was moving, but sound some great friends from church, so I never looked into it more.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 AM

355 posts, read 1,582,919 times
Hi depecantique, Why not check out the PEPPER program through Broward County Schools? One of my daughters was in that program for a speech impediment prior to kindergarten though, and continued pull-outs for Speech during the school day until 5th grade (she spoke so well by then), she happened to be a gifted student, too. Exceptional Student Education
Exceptional Student Education is for special needs kids, everything from Autism, developmental delays, emotional problems, and gifted kids. If she qualified, and I would say a mute child would, but I am not a teacher, your daughter would get an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) that would follow her. Now it gets interesting, because sometimes you must push to get services for your child, and there is no "navigator" except the team of teachers (speech, regular teacher, etc). But you can hire a Parent Advocate, that will fight for more services for your child, because sometimes you must fight, unfortunately. You can personal message me and I will give you the name of our own parent advocate.

btw, I have a good friend who is from Germany. And will put you in touch with her if you need a friend from back home. She may know a circle of other German people so you feel more comfortable. Let me know.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 AM

Dear Lookinghome, lauralei2, thanks so much! Great to hear that Weston is open to foreigners! I will check out all the ESE programs mentioned before. It is very helpful information for us! I am confident now that I could also look into putting her in public schools with IEP. Lauralei2 I will contact you regarding parent advocate.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:29 AM

351 posts, read 460,645 times
Hi,

Are you in Weston already? Just wanted to confirm that Weston is indeed a place open to anyone (a lot of foreigners here and I'm one of them) and we do have the best school district in Florida. I do have a daughter in Cypress Bay (high school) and they do have a lot of programs there, mainly for kids that come from other countries, so I'm pretty sure that all elementary schools here will have the right program for your daughter -my other daughter is just two-years-old. If you need more info about schools and programs, please let me know. I do live off Indian Trace (walking distance to Indian Trace elementary) and I don't mind going to the schools and ask for a specific program and send you some info.

Weston Moms:
Weston Moms (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

This is a great place for you to take your daughter to:
South Florida Counseling Services | Weston Florida Psychological Counseling Services
Community Mental Health Services - Articles and Information | South Florida community mental health services provider, Weston Psych Care gives to the community information and articles related to mental health issues. | Page 4

Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Hi, I'm so happy I found this forum!!!
I am from Spain, my husband is German and we will move to weston in June. We plan to stay there 3 years and I am so excited and worried at the same time....it's this the right place? Will we find the right school for our kids? ( 5 and 6 years old)....
Our kids speak spanish and german and have lived always in Germany that is where we will go back after 3 or 4 years that is why I would like my kids to keep writing and reading in German.... Do you know any schools teaching German? Or any group? Maybe lessons once a week would be enough...
Lauralei, maybe you could send me your friends contact?. I would appreciate any help, advice you could give us!
we are flying next week over, our kids have vacation and we will take the chance, so we can get to know Weston and the surroundings...

Thank you, gracias, danke��

Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,822,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragenusa View Post
Hi, I'm so happy I found this forum!!!
I am from Spain, my husband is German and we will move to weston in June. We plan to stay there 3 years and I am so excited and worried at the same time....it's this the right place? Will we find the right school for our kids? ( 5 and 6 years old)....
Our kids speak spanish and german and have lived always in Germany that is where we will go back after 3 or 4 years that is why I would like my kids to keep writing and reading in German.... Do you know any schools teaching German? Or any group? Maybe lessons once a week would be enough...
Lauralei, maybe you could send me your friends contact?. I would appreciate any help, advice you could give us!
we are flying next week over, our kids have vacation and we will take the chance, so we can get to know Weston and the surroundings...

Thank you, gracias, danke��
Hi. I have German neighbors. I can ask them what they know about the German community in and around Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area