Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

I've been living a few years in a elderly apartment complex and recently was told that you had to add your water/sewer bill to the rent. Yes... I missed a few payments and was informed I had a balance due. I went to the leasing office and was told that as soon as they get my check, they remove off the top the water and sewer... off course, that makes me owe money for my rent, and they add a late fee. Can they do this? I was never told this when I renewed my lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM

166 posts, read 384,332 times
Depends on what the lease states.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Most people never read the original lease...no less the renewal!!!! We all assume that it is the same with no major changes...I would pull out the lease and start to read it over and see where they added the new charges. The best part...you probably were not the first one and won't be the last, so you may want to check with an attorney, perhaps the landlord tenant court, other tenants, etc...

If you can establish a pattern of them adding/changing the lease terms without pointing it out, you might be able to have the additional fees removed. But you will never know until you try!!! Remember, they have all sorts of programs to protect the elderly against scams - perhaps this is one?? Try you local political leaders, after all it is an election year!!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,558 times
The lease states that I am responsible for the electric and water and sewer. It doesn't mention that the water/sewer bill has to be added to the rent. It states that my rent is due on a certain day.... have 5 days to pay it, then they start eviction procedures.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM

51 posts, read 184,857 times
So your question is can the landlord amortize the agreed upon tenant monthly expenses into the monthly rent due?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I'll be blunt. You agreed you were responsible for the utilities, and then you acted irresponsibly by being late in payment. At some point, a landlord has to step in. If a tenant were to move or die with utility bills outstanding, those bills would make that tenants unit impossible to re-rent until they were paid (at unjustified cost to the landlord). The landlord is doing you a favor by not evicting you and instead forcing you to be reasonably responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area