Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:21 PM

17 posts, read 19,368 times

Advertisements

Hey guys/gals -

I've been lurking here for the last couple of months, as I'm moving to South Florida shortly. Thanks for all your useful insight.

My wife, 7yo daughter and our three dogs are moving to South Florida, and we're very interested in Coral Springs (but considering Pembroke Pines and Weston). My job is in Doral...so I'm interested in some honest feedback about the commute.

We are coming from San Diego, and I currently drive 45-60 minutes each way to work; I don't mind that drive. If I go to work around 7 and leave around 6, should I expect much more than an hour each way between Coral Springs and Doral?

Your thoughts are appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Doable.

But more doable from Weston or PPines.

For it to be doable from Coral Springs, you would have to be pretty close to the Sawgrass Expressway. Otherwise you could spend good 10-20 minutes just getting to the highway.

In Weston, you have two highway choices - I-75 or US-27. You can pick either one depending on proximity.

Same with PPines, but I think you get worse traffic trying to get to the highway during rush hour.

I used to commute to Doral from Weston.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Also keep in mind that traffic in Doral (once you get off the Turnpike) is pretty heavy.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM

411 posts, read 831,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Turnip View Post
Hey guys/gals -

I've been lurking here for the last couple of months, as I'm moving to South Florida shortly. Thanks for all your useful insight.

My wife, 7yo daughter and our three dogs are moving to South Florida, and we're very interested in Coral Springs (but considering Pembroke Pines and Weston). My job is in Doral...so I'm interested in some honest feedback about the commute.

We are coming from San Diego, and I currently drive 45-60 minutes each way to work; I don't mind that drive. If I go to work around 7 and leave around 6, should I expect much more than an hour each way between Coral Springs and Doral?

Your thoughts are appreciated...
Coral Springs to Doral will be about 45-60 minutes each way, so the commute will not shock you, but since your job is in Doral you really should be looking to move somewhere in Doral, Hialeah, Miami, or Miami Lakes.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:11 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
I disagree that the OP needs to move closer. Coral Springs to Doral is a cakewalk drive most of the way on the freeways. The worst part will be once you get off at the exit in Doral. Doral traffic is brutal during rush hours. I would not want to live in Doral for that reason. Depending on how deep into Doral from the Turnpike will dictate how long the commute is. The expressway drive is probably only 45 minutes.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM

166 posts, read 384,332 times
I have a client that just bought in northeast coral springs and travels to Doral every day. So your numbers are pretty accurate. You may want to stay on the south side of coral springs to help a little bit.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I disagree that the OP needs to move closer. Coral Springs to Doral is a cakewalk drive most of the way on the freeways. The worst part will be once you get off at the exit in Doral. Doral traffic is brutal during rush hours. I would not want to live in Doral for that reason. Depending on how deep into Doral from the Turnpike will dictate how long the commute is. The expressway drive is probably only 45 minutes.
I totally disagree with your disagreement, driving from Coral Springs to Doral every day is time better spent doing something else, and further there is no compelling reason for the OP to live in Coral Springs instead of Doral. I have no idea why you would encourage somebody to waste their life and money for no valid reason.

Do you have any blooming idea how much time a one way 45 minute commute turns into over a year? 90 minutes a day, 450 minutes a week, 1800 a month, 21,600 annually.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
I totally disagree with your disagreement, driving from Coral Springs to Doral every day is time better spent doing something else, and further there is no compelling reason for the OP to live in Coral Springs instead of Doral. I have no idea why you would encourage somebody to waste their life and money for no valid reason.

Do you have any blooming idea how much time a one way 45 minute commute turns into over a year? 90 minutes a day, 450 minutes a week, 1800 a month, 21,600 annually.
Ok, on the flipside, how much time per year would they waste sitting in Doral traffic trying to do their daily errands? The OP would have to deal with living in Miami-Dade County and all of the baggage that comes with that. Their expenses would be higher too.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Ok, on the flipside, how much time per year would they waste sitting in Doral traffic trying to do their daily errands? The OP would have to deal with living in Miami-Dade County and all of the baggage that comes with that. Their expenses would be higher too.
Once you learn how to properly navigate Doral sitting in traffic can be greatly minimized, and living in Doral is only slightly more expensive than Coral Springs, but not driving for 45 minutes to and from work each day is priceless. I'm certain the fuel savings would offset any additional costs associated with an increase in the cost of living.

By daily errands, I assume you mean people inventing reasons to get in their automobiles and driving around for no reason.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limehousemiller View Post
Once you learn how to properly navigate Doral sitting in traffic can be greatly minimized, and living in Doral is only slightly more expensive than Coral Springs, but not driving for 45 minutes to and from work each day is priceless. I'm certain the fuel savings would offset any additional costs associated with an increase in the cost of living.

By daily errands, I assume you mean people inventing reasons to get in their automobiles and driving around for no reason.
I'm not a huge fan of commuting either, but in my opinion the quality of life would be much higher in Coral Springs. Doral is nice in itself, but is landlocked. There is nothing around Doral that is convenient to get to or worth going to. You are far away from the beaches and would have to deal with buku traffic to get to South Beach. Not worth it in my opinion. Also, it is almost exclusively Hispanic in Doral for the original poster's information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area